Are you a keeper or Trader when it comes to upgrading ?

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I was thinking about this myself.

But lets say you are up and coming - and you dont have Gs to throw around on a grand studio - lol, but at times you get a grip and its time for an equipment upgrade or such. What do you do ?

Do you trade in your unused equipment ?
Do you buy a different brand ?

i.e - You have a triton LE -> and you gonna get a Triton Xtreme, or do you get the Motif ES ?

That kinda thing.

And if you have - a motif ES, but also a Motif Rack (classic) - do you still use the rack, sell it, trade it in? etc

And lets say you have something like a Roland XP-50 board, fully expanded. But you come across a Fantom XR - do you use em together - or put the XP in the back...cuz the XR has newer sounds ?

And do you think your OLDER equipment ever makes a come back ? Like if The Roland XP becomes popular again or do you beleieve it will come in handy for the future ?

---------------------------

Asking because I have a JV1010 and SP303 - and i was debating on coppin a XV5080(on ebay this summer - and expand it with XV and JV boards) and maybe coppin an ASR rack.

So i was thinking - should i trade those in and get lets say a trigger Finger or Ion - and buy the other 2 joints i wanted - or what.

Or should i just add it all on ?

Drop Knowledge.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i guess it depends on current cash flow, and how much i love the old thing......most of the time, if im gonna upgrade i dare say id sell the old shit, cos im poor...hideously poor

the only thing i never sell is anything in my record collection

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
ima broke man.....need to get my funds up na mean so I dont got money to be upgrading rite now

504MusicMan

ill o.g.
DaSon said:
I was thinking about this myself.

But lets say you are up and coming - and you dont have Gs to throw around on a grand studio - lol, but at times you get a grip and its time for an equipment upgrade or such. What do you do ?

Do you trade in your unused equipment ?
Do you buy a different brand ?

i.e - You have a triton LE -> and you gonna get a Triton Xtreme, or do you get the Motif ES ?

That kinda thing.

And if you have - a motif ES, but also a Motif Rack (classic) - do you still use the rack, sell it, trade it in? etc

And lets say you have something like a Roland XP-50 board, fully expanded. But you come across a Fantom XR - do you use em together - or put the XP in the back...cuz the XR has newer sounds ?

And do you think your OLDER equipment ever makes a come back ? Like if The Roland XP becomes popular again or do you beleieve it will come in handy for the future ?

---------------------------

Asking because I have a JV1010 and SP303 - and i was debating on coppin a XV5080(on ebay this summer - and expand it with XV and JV boards) and maybe coppin an ASR rack.

So i was thinking - should i trade those in and get lets say a trigger Finger or Ion - and buy the other 2 joints i wanted - or what.

Or should i just add it all on ?

Drop Knowledge.

Let me tell u sumthin brah. I gotz alot of hardware myself i cop awhile back. But all dem sound modules , keyboards, and etc. you mention i own now in SoundFont / Reason Refill format. (Everything you mention, thats right at the fraction of the cost of the hardware)

In today's production environment you have to move along with the technology are get left behind or be one of those cavemen producers who stick to analog / hardware etc.

Me i getz down with anything i feel like getting down with. Some days i wake up i want to program on my MPC 2000XL & Motif 7. Others I just want to get down with Reason 3.0 with my 70 Gigs of sounds and aresnal of Virtual Devices.

The bottom line is, if you not using them jointz, in my opinion trade in for something that's going to contribute to yo studio and not collect dust.

Far as just buying the latest / greatest brand products just caus "Joe Blow" cop it in Scratch Magazine, i ain't trying to hear dat.

I got a formula that works for me and i'm roll with it.

P.S. That M-Audio Trigger Finger killin the Akai MPD 16 joint. You should cop. Just look at the demos and compare. Or go to Guitar Center and take em for a test drive.

One

http://www.dirtysouthbeatz.com
New Orleans #1 Fastest Growing Record Label Since U Know Who!

members online