Apple unviels "Mini-Mac"....

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
I am gonna buy some of those for my Media Technology students, you can't beat that price.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Looks sweet with a nice price. There has to be a catch. Expandability could be an issue. I don't know..... Guess I'll have to wait and see.
ONE

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
djswivel said:
it is a good deal, but keep in mind, you gotta buy a monitor (apple's start at $1000), mouse, keyboard, speakers etc etc.....but, still a very nice piece of hardware
You can use any VGA monitor with the DVI to VGA adaptor that's included. Shit you can cop a 17" flat panel joint for around $200 - $300.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
O-H-TEN said:
Looks sweet with a nice price. There has to be a catch. Expandability could be an issue. I don't know..... Guess I'll have to wait and see.
ONE

Only thing you'd really need to expand ins the RAM (1gb). With USB and Firewire, it's open to expandability.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
the processor is low.... 1.43 i believe....... i'd have to have the option to upgrade to at least 2.0 for me to make that jump...

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Producer X said:
Only thing you'd really need to expand ins the RAM (1gb). With USB and Firewire, it's open to expandability.

Yeah tru dat, but I just don't like to have ish hangin' all over the place. I like my ish in the box. That's just me I guess. lol
ONE

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
the processor is low.... 1.43 i believe....... i'd have to have the option to upgrade to at least 2.0 for me to make that jump...

Don't be fooled by Apple's clock speed on their processors. This thing is running 1.25 ghz and 1.42 ghz. I'm using a G4 powerbook that's only 1ghz and I've mixed songs more than 50 tracks with plug-is and eq on it. I just checked the tech specs on the mac mini and it actually specs out pretty good for for a machine 3 times the price. But, by the time you max out the RAM on the 1.42ghz model, you'r paying over $1000 for it. Apple's RAM price is CRAZY!!! Hopefully 3rd party RAM folks will have something compatible soon.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
you can get 512mb of ram for $100 ... i don't know where you buy yours at but your paying too much. I'm still running my mac g4 dual 450mhz and that shit is still fast and can support a bunch of shit all at once. so the "mini mac" will get the job done. excellent price .. i just wish it was a g5 for $700 - $900 that would be great.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The sound card on a mac is pretty basic. Maybe a little bit better than your average sound blaster like defaut PC soundcard. If you really want to make music, you have to buy some external sound card (like you do with a PC anyway...). For clock speed, you can roughly double the clock speed to have an equivalent in the pc world. My powerbook is only a G4 667mhz and it's pretty fast.

The minimac is nice because like the new imacG4, it can be a semi-portable machine (one that you can move pretty easily...). If I had the money...

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
MAC always has aesthetically more pleasing computers in my opinion, but i still think that this little guy needs to come with a screen and a mouse, etc to really be competitivly equal to the PCs that are out for the same budget prices. Pretty dope how small it is tho, and the new ipod shuffle is dope too, i kinda wanna cop one a those more to be honest.....Im still thinking that building yer own music PC may be the best rout for performance and budget cuts.

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
LOL apparently it has a built it speaker! imagine the bass response your gonna get from that! you cant even see it.

Producer X

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Bass response? LOL that speaker can't be no bigger than a tweater. No boom on that joint, just a tick. LOL

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
MAC always has aesthetically more pleasing computers in my opinion, but i still think that this little guy needs to come with a screen and a mouse, etc to really be competitivly equal to the PCs that are out for the same budget prices. Pretty dope how small it is tho, and the new ipod shuffle is dope too, i kinda wanna cop one a those more to be honest.....Im still thinking that building yer own music PC may be the best rout for performance and budget cuts.

I'm not too keen on the i-Pod shuffle myself - considering its capacity, which is what 512MB?, an i-Pod Mini is much better value..20gb if I remember correctly. And on the i-Pos shuffle you can only listen to the songs in the order you put them on there, plus there is no screen. Meh, looks like I'll have to get myself an i-Pod Mini then.

members online