Anyone here actively/effectively uses Recycle ?

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
In my setup i got Reason Rewired to ableton - but as far as sampling goes..i can just drag and drop the audio loop or cut into AB live and it will play as normal..with time stretch and all..I can even copy and paste -adjust the start and end points to simulate chopping.

but i also have recycle - and if i did beats in Reason alone - i would convert my sample to rex and let it play thru DR Rex...

but now i kinda dont do that...Should I ?

In other words - for you guys what works best and was more efficient.

To cut Recycle out the picture or figure out a way to incoorporate it..and how so ?

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah - live is a great contribute.

I wouldnt go acid for the pull that it does what live does already.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Renegade said:
imo Live should be the one to go not Recycle...or replace it with Acid.
live is far better than acid, and i think that is pretty much the commonly held belief by everyone these days

anyways recycle is a great program if you want to shove drums into reason, or more importantly battery.....get a copy of battery and there is no need for dr rex, battery is a much more capable and powerful drum sampler and it accepts rex files.........plus you can use it to cut up stuff like basslines and shove into machfive, and i believe kontakt2 accepts rex, but i could be wrong cos i havent tried yet, and i just kinda heard it from a not so reliable source

ill o.g.
Well imo they both suck (Live & Acid ) but he said he wanted auto matic loopage,lol.So in my short time demoing the both I found Acid to be great for just that.As for live I just didn't like it...to each his own.Reason and Recycle are both great imo and go hand in hand.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I think its all about yer workflow Dason.....If you work better from invintorying all your samples as i do into wav extentions and then also rex's so that u have more flexibilty over the sample later if needed then do it. Its not absolutley neccessary tho. There are ways to achieve the same sounds and start points etc...But in my opinion are a little more time consuming in the long run. I always use recycle to chop EVERYONE of my samples after i have already chopped them into small wavs. That way i can later on have alternate versions to fuck with in reason. I also pack all the sounds into my own refill afterwards so that the audio is compressed and saves space on the harddrive, plus sounds are more organized and easier to use that way.

Things i dont like in recycle are: the Stretch feature...This doenst actually stretch the file, what it does instead is sorta like a long release feature so that when the sound goes off it makes the end of the clip kinda linger,....i think it sounds like shit tho. I always turn that knob all the way to 0 and then audition and chop my sounds. I can always apply whatever effects to the samples i want later in reason and so i dont really need the compression and stretch features....

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Renegade said:
Well imo they both suck (Live & Acid ) but he said he wanted auto matic loopage,lol.So in my short time demoing the both I found Acid to be great for just that.As for live I just didn't like it...to each his own.Reason and Recycle are both great imo and go hand in hand.

BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
haha...sorry, far better was me getting exciteable cos renegade insulted my baby....ostensibly they are both powerful programs and should be capable of pretty similar things...i have just been amazed at lives in depth controls, whilst still being so simple and logical in setup....plus the whole actual live facet draws me...auditioning sounds in realtime by just chucking them in...i like the extensive automation control....the effects that come with it(that ping pong delay is just straight up sexy).....really apart from one niggling problem with no digital clip level readout on the master level display i cant find much in the way to flaw live on

dont run and get live to replace acid cos i went on the offensive though, acid does its job well...and if you are use to it, stick with it probably

still my advice to DaSon sticks, find a copy of battery2 man.....its faaaaaar more powerful than dr.rex...and thats not me getting exciteable

504MusicMan

ill o.g.
DaSon said:
In my setup i got Reason Rewired to ableton - but as far as sampling goes..i can just drag and drop the audio loop or cut into AB live and it will play as normal..with time stretch and all..I can even copy and paste -adjust the start and end points to simulate chopping.

but i also have recycle - and if i did beats in Reason alone - i would convert my sample to rex and let it play thru DR Rex...

but now i kinda dont do that...Should I ?

In other words - for you guys what works best and was more efficient.

To cut Recycle out the picture or figure out a way to incoorporate it..and how so ?

If you can get the job done with Abelton then i guess you can honestly cut Recycle out the picture!

I guess one real reason to use Recycle would be for compatability reason with REASON so like you mention you can use the REX files.

But alot of us producers use either Sound Forge / Recycle to "Chop" up our samples.

If you not doing alot of choppin / sample re-arrangements , and like i mention timestretch and all that can be done in Ableton (which i don't know jack about :) then you straight

Ask yourself, after you load yo samples in Ableton, Is there anything I would like to do to freak this sample that this program can't do?

If you can answer yes, there are somethings Ableton can't do to help me freak this sampe.

Then you definetly need to explore and grasp all the features / abilities Recycle has to help you effortlessly tweak / freak yo samples.

One

ghostmusic

ill o.g.
Recycle is really great for chopping up samples and then inporting the file or slice into the sampler. The real need for the REX format is a matter of opinion.

S

skam

what's wrong with using both? you don't have to use either way exclusively, just whatever's best at the time.