Any mixtape djs use software???

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
Are there any dj's here that use software to make mixtapes? if so wat programs u use and y? I mainly use Acid myself along with final scratch to make my remix and mash up tapes,but i wanna know if there is better software i should be using? ....HOLLA AT YA BOY

E

Equality 7-2521

i use wavlab to join my mix tapes together so i dont have to do over an hour of perfect mixing only to fuck up on the last mix and have to do it all over again. i do as many mixes in a row as i can and when i fuck up i chop the wav file then take it from where i left off and join the two.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If your looking for a new program you could always try Traktor DJ by Native Instruments. It is specifically designed for a DJ use.

I've tried the demo and didn't like it personally. Nowadays when i'm doing mixes i usually use Acid to multi-track.

You could always use cool-edit but the thing i like about Acid are its looping features like the beatmapper wizard. So its really easy to combine mash-ups and mixing from vinyl all in one

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Werd I was thinkin bout acid and ableton live. Don't know which 1 would be best for me. I don't have any mixtapes out but I usualy blens records on the turntables and drop samples from my lil b.s. Gemini sampler to do my remixes
But there's a lot of accapella mp3s out there I can't get on vinyl. Is it true acid perfectly matches the accapella to the beat or vice versa on its own ? Also ableton live ?
I wanna do some hot " mashups" and remixes with like 2 or 3 different beats and like 4 ,5 accapellas. And also original remixes wit my original beats.

Which program would be better?

Right now I use sonar 3 prod. Ed. To record and multi track. Does any 1 know how to match a acapella to a beat using that ? (Time strecthing or whatever I guess)?

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I guess for mashup Acid and Live are both cool. They will match the acapella to the beat or vice versa but it ain't magic. You have to "tell" the program were are the beats and things like that before. Some mash dj prefer the hands on approche of the plates... Which one you choose depends on how you like to work. Acid look just like any other DAW (like your sonar3 for exemple) but Live is definitly in a category of is own. Live is more intuitive (but people would say exactly the oposite tho...). Me I prefer Live. You can use it live tho (arg... stupid name...). The algorith for stretching sound sounds ok in Acid but in Live they are a bit better.

I don't know sonar3 so I can't tell you how to do it. I can tell how people use to do stretching tho and that you can use. You have to know the perfect bpm of your sample (ex. 90) and the desired bpm (80). Now you want to know how much stretching to aply in %, so you multiply 80 by 100 and divise that by 90. 88.88%. Your final sample shoud be stretch 88.88% the duration of the original. Now you can stretch it by this value in many program, I would be surprised if sonar don't let you do that... Hope it help a bit.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks dnt I didn't wanna quote ur whole post and make this 1 super long but this is in reponse to your post. Im gonna try that seems simple enugh . Im sure sonar has a function to that.
I hear what ur saying about the hands on aproach. Cause that's how I am. I mix live on turntables and cd turntables (@ clubs I play @ but don't have em @ home) but for the kinda remixes I wanna do ima need software assistance. I think ima go with live. I been readin on it and it can do what im tryna accomplish.

Ill be sure to put em (remixes) on my site and post a link on here for yall to hear em.

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
in my opinion i would use acid.i have both programs and for me its much easier in acid especially when workin wit acapellas.and i feel ya about bein about being able to use the tables but as u know acapellas can be a rare commidity at times and they only way u can get sum of them is off the net,so definately software is the way to go or just get final scratch like i have.But i still use acid all the way i did a whole entire mash up tape once strictly in acid using mp3's.if u need any help on how to just holla back ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah I've been thinkin bout final scratch. I've demoed it a few times. And it realy is accurate. My thing is I don't have a laptop and even if I did I wouldn't put all my trust in a computer to dj out with. I would get it to use in the house on my desktop to mix cause like you said a lot of acapellas aren't available on vinyl . Thing about that is ill need another computer any way because you can't record your mix in final scratch or rewire it into another program and record it (as far as I know). So either way ima have to get a lap top. Which added together wit final scratch im better off with 2 cdj 1000s or 800's and burning cd's. Which is what im tryna get this summer.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ART MPC 4000 said:
I Use Reason To Make My Mixtapes

Yo art how you make mixtapes in reason. I have reason. Its a stand alone midi sequencer.
Please elaborate and put me on to some things.

Im tryna get all this othe stuff I might can do it in what I have now.

You can respond back to this or hit me @ djfantom ( at ) tmail ( dot ) com

Serious.

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
well i been usin final scratch for like almost a year and half.its very reliable and easy to set up.it hasnt crashed on me yet at the club.but i aint gonna lie i was shit bricks though when i fist started using it.and the new version of final scrath runs on windows to so maybe u can run cool edit or sound forge under it to record ur mixes,but i havent had a chance to test that theory out yet ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yo DJDRGN I finaly got acid.
Im LOST I tried dat beat mapping thing. It just made my acapella faster but aint match it with the beat.
CAN ANY 1 HELP ME HOW DO I USE ACID RIGHT ?

I also have ableton live 2.0 can ANY 1 HELP ME HOW TO USE THAT TOO.
Thank you

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
well first dont use the beat mapper on the accapella u can use it on the instrumental if u wish just as long as u map it right.just import both of them and go down to the track properties for the accapella which should pop up on the bottom left hand corner when u highlight the track in acid.now change the track type to one shot.next paint it in acid right under the instrumental.now find where the acapella should start and place it directly right under the downbeat of the instrumental.play it and just like u would when u mix in djin see if the acapella needs to be sped up or slowed down.then go back to the track properties and u can increase or decrease the pitch there just like u would a turntable.just do in small increments at a time.it takes a while to get used to and needs sum practicing but i been doin it this way for years and made entire mixtapes this way.but i hope i explained it well enough if not just hit me back ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sup djdrgn. Tryed what you said and it still won't sync. Part of it will be synced and parts won't. I just don't get it. Fuck it im gettin frustrated. Ima just try to get these cdj 1000's and say fuck this software remixing.

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
lol i hear the frustration bro i had the same problems when i first started using it.on thing that works for me is if most of the acapella is on beat but starts to fall off beat i just hightlight the eraser and find where it starts fallin of at and click there wit the eraser and it will divid the acapella where u clicked at now take the second part and move it to the left or right just a lil to get it back on and just reapeat if it falls off again.im sorry if im not really explainin it well if i could like show ya some how in person u would get it in like 5 mins i just suck at explainin things sorry =o( ...HOLLA AT YA BOY