Answer me this

J

jbit24

How come about 99.9% or rappers and DJ's use an alias as their name? And when it comes to singers and musicians they all use their real names?

Some of them change their names around a bit, but at least its a normal name instead of Fabolous or some stupid shit like that.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
yo that's true

I guess it wouldn't look good if Michael Bolton called himself "Long-Haired Assassin" or some shit like that.

I haven't really thought about the whole thing, but I guess it all ties in with street slang, naw'mean dun dun? What tha dilly?

Yo, what would be some good names for famous singers like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston?

Okay everyone post some names. This should be interesting.

B

buzz

Back when punk rock was more street-level and rebelious it was the same way. You had guys like Johnny Rotten, Rat Scabies, Captain Senisible, Pat Smear, Sid Vicious, Poly Styrene and all that. The same with reggae, where you have Big Youth, Burning Spear, Yellowman, King Tubby, U-Roy, etc. I think it's music where people are poor, disaffected, and critical of society - changing your name is like a rejection of social norms and whatnot, and a different way to view yourself in the world. With hip hop, there was a street-level social consciousness and futurism to it from day one. R&B, rock and other music seems kind of content with the status quo - always singing about love and shit like that, being mainstream. In the same way, so-called punk bands like Blink 182 don't have aliases - they're alright with being normal Southern Californian suburbanites I guess.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Mariah Carey - "Insane Boottee Bi@tch", "Careyzzzzzeeeeee"

Whitney Houston - "Doped-up", "Bones", "ThisisallBobbysfault"

:D :confused: ;)