All IllMuzikers Jump For Joy

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have been worrying ever since the day that I began producing that I was gon' end up deaf from blasting my headphones when I make a beat. I've tried the solution of using the speakers, but then that dont work cause you dont get that "intimacy" you nah mean. So I still be using my headphones regardless. But I just read an article (Mens Health) thats says aint no chance in hell you gon' deaf from blasting headphones all day, and even if you can stand to blast your headphones past excruciating Db Levels, you would have to listen to the equivalent of an Old Skool lawnmower, 24 hours each day for about 60 years <- now thats Krzy. So dont take this as news to go blasting even louder, but I just want everyone to know that when making a beat with headphones at a moderate level, you can focus on the beat and not about saying "what" when you older.
Phew ......

ill o.g.
phew. <sigh of relief.

I developed a habit of keepin my speakers real quiet until im mixing so that ill have my hearing when i get older. Thanks for sharin that with us KRZY, i feel a lot better now.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Krzy K.

You should ask people who have been around for a while in the studio if you're right.

They would disagree with you. A lot of people have tinnitus because they used to blast their music. Plus, music being blasted doesn't necessarily give you a better source for mix.

Sincerely,
God

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
what ! ?

lol nah i'd disagree with that a bit i mean while you are unlikely to go deaf from listening to music through headphones it will affect your hearing later in life somwhat ! i kno my hearing isn't very good as it is mainly due to to much DJing, clubs, working with car stereos and loud music in general ! i always seem to be around loud music, and i always find myself asking people to repeat things or saying 'what?' lol !

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
theres alot of peeps gettin tinnitus from clubbin alot, i wonder why dey dont tell people bout tha risks , but i guess its just common sense and controlling yourself, not blasting the music too much.

SupaStar

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
God said:
Krzy K.

You should ask people who have been around for a while in the studio if you're right.

They would disagree with you. A lot of people have tinnitus because they used to blast their music. Plus, music being blasted doesn't necessarily give you a better source for mix.

Sincerely,
God

Well I haven't done any research, but the article I read was a guy asking the Magazine editor if hes would go deaf from blasting Method Man from his headphones.
And the magazine editor replied that if from a portable player it is highly unlikely because the amperage inside cant push the Db to that level, and then he went futher on to add that if listening to a headphone that is plugged into a amplifier like a boombox or stereo, it would have the reach the Db levels of an old time lawnmower, and you'd have to listen to that lawnmower for a whole day every for roughly 60 years to bring on total deafness. So I would guess during that time you would loose the ability to hear certain frequencies or bring on certain temporary ailments, but you are the one thats responsible. For as far as I know my ears speak and when they ready they tell me plain and simple, "I am tired" and if you bring on the loss of hearing its irresponsiblity not loud music.
Sincerely Krzy

HCTarks

Wax Mangler
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
the article is probably talking about regular consumer headphones and not professional headphones with stronger amps that many of us may use. i use sony mdr's and theyre pretty loud.. but my technics headphones are toooo damn loud.. i can take them off and hear my song pretty clearly from across the room. i'm not sure if i'd trust my hearing to an unscientific magazine article (the word "unlikely" makes me nervous).. cuz once your hearing's gone.. u know the rest.

AHXBEATS

AHXIMUS PRIME
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Frist off your ears should be your best piece of gear. With out them all the gear in the world can't help you. If your producing with headphones, that's pretty stupid. Go buy some monitors. Headphones make your productions sound sh!ty anyway. Music bounces off of walls and other things inside of a room, or car etc.. With headphones there is no bouncing. So what sounds perfect in headphones, sounds like crap on a real system. Don't get me wrong I use headphones myself, when I'm in the booth, and when I'm perfecting my sound panning. That's about it when it comes to headphones. I have been working on airplanes for the last 6 years so I know a thing or two about ear protection. You listen to music loud, cause the vibration are appealing to your ear drum. The louder the sound, the bigger the vibration. Ear drum vibrations are very soothing to the brain, almost like a brain massage. That's why the louder the sound the better it sounds. But to loud is like that same massage turned into a stabbing. Long term use of headphones will cause hearing loss. Maybe not now, but when you get older and you body weakins, you will feel the effects. There's nothing like being 40 or 50 and you can't hear your favorite Old school joint. I've takin 2 courses on the long term effects of loud sounds for long periods of time. Trust me, you'll regret it later.

X-RAY
"aka"
Jewel AVenue OX

C

Copenhagen

Well, you might not exactly end up deaf, but as other people already mentioned, you should still be worried about tinnitus.
Also, wearing headphones all the time, that increases the bacteria in your ears by 700% (at least that's what I read)...
I would generally be very careful with my ears.

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MarkN said:
what ! ?

lol nah i'd disagree with that a bit i mean while you are unlikely to go deaf from listening to music through headphones it will affect your hearing later in life somwhat ! i kno my hearing isn't very good as it is mainly due to to much DJing, clubs, working with car stereos and loud music in general ! i always seem to be around loud music, and i always find myself asking people to repeat things or saying 'what?' lol !

WERD me too except for the car stereo part. Djing, loud clubs, havin to turn ur head fones all the way up cause the club system is dumb loud. Plus I used to have a tendicie to blast my big dj speakers in the house while listening to music.
(Neighbors don't mind) im no where near deaf but I do think my ears have suffered minor damage. Maybe even enuff to negatively affect my mixing (beats I've made and songs I've recorded)...and im only 23(in july. Lol)

boneyboys

50 Million Year Trip
ill o.g.
Humm, I should very probably invest in some ear defenders of some kind for concerts. Come out the next day hearing like I've got fur stuffed in my ears. God's right too, your ears cope better with music at lower levels and so you get a more realistic indication of the actual sound, it comes through "truer" and you hear more elements of the mix.

kaivai

Reppin V.I.C
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
YO im jumping im jumping!!!!