Akai Sucks! Read on for an interesting tale.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word, well I aint protecting them. Im jus saying theres gotta be somebody at AKAI that wouldnt appreciate the vibe that those 8 people you witnessed are sending out, and if not fuck em.

The only downfall to that IMO is that they really arent going to try and elevate their products to a new level and make what already is a great machine better, which is clearly unfortunate....
None the less, I still love my MPC - that dont mean I gotta love the rich assholes sellin them.
Hell its like LDB said, most of us wouldnt have shit if we cared about what the people that made those products thought about us....To a certain degree that shit matters but its not like its going to effect my relationship with my MPC if you feel me. Its a machine, not a person. lol.

I suppose from a polarized perspective this sort of company attitude could force their firm out of the limelight eventually and even possibly ruin them entirely but I honestly dont see that happening. Those assholes are sitting fat with no worries in my opinion.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Well I can tell you about companies that are amazing to there customers and say nothing but good things.

Ableton, Cakewalk, Line6/Props, Ibanez, Roland, Novation

Why not support these guys?

I'm gonna only reference hip hop/rap. Non of the company's you named genuinely care about hip hop/rap producers or users. I own at least one product from all but Ibanez. Just look at there advertisement. They don't advertise to the hip hop community. Check there tutorials, non are hip hop specific. Jazzy Jeff just endorsed Ableton but even he knows it was not geared toward us. He used the product, liked the product, spoke about the product and now they put his face on there wedsite...lmao. I'm sure he received everything they have free for doing so. Once again, most of these products are not produced for us but we find a way to use them because at the end of the day "music is music" and most of the same principles apply.

It's really not that serious to me. Use, buy, pirate what ever works for what you do. I'm not trying to have a relationship with the manufacturer or the seller. If I buy a product and have problems with it as long as they take it back they can tell me to kiss their ass while they're refunding my money. I simply refuse to give them that much power over what I like and buy. They just better hope they get there "fuck u" out before I get mine....lol And I'm pretty damn quick with the cuss words!

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
Listen to 90% of the sounds that are out there that we find a way to use. Just listening to them "as is", do you think they were meant for hip hop? HELL TO THE NAWL.. Nothing was meant for hip hop if you ask me. We tore shit from old records to make our music. I look at hardware and software the same exact way. Take Ableton for instance. Go to there website...does anything you see or hear scream "hip hop" or rap. Uh uh, but I took the lady dressed her in hip hop, stuck dick in her a got me some beautiful offspring!

We find away to "make it do what it do" by any means necessary!

I totally see what your saying. most of the sounds i dig through hardware/software i almost always have to tweak them to my liking. you would think more of these companies would cater to those who bring in the $$

inflict3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yea, akai does suck, I have a mpd 32 and a mpc 500.. the mpd 32 I took apart and placed homemade shims inside the pads to fill the air gap now it works sooo much better, but I paid like 300. or something like that for it, it shoulda been right from the start, all the parts inside look cheap as hell, not to mention the cheap plastic case, I bet it only cost them like 20. dollars to make the piece.. the mpc 500, well it can take a beating, the pads also sucked, the rubber was too stiff, so I bought some black mpc 1000 pads and cut the extra pads off and it worked, the rubber was alot softer, the parts inside the 500 dont look as cheap as the ones inside the mpd, but they could have done alot better with the 500 for the price.. the screen sucks for the price, and what about that contrast screw, come on give me a f u c k i n g break akai, or should I say numark, you guys suck now, akai was the shizz back in their day though

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
good for you on the customization. I dont have anything new from akai. i still use the old school 2000

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
on the mpc500...give it to stevy wonder lol, you basicaly dont even need the screen to get a bit of beat going on. Its a very proper build indeed, aside from the ram-holder, those arms tend to break pretty easy but its not a big deal (i had put a foam underneith the battery chassis to keep it in place). I sold it since i have other mpc but its all you should expect from an mpc plus a bit more.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i dont care about these big ass companies like i used to... while we're all goin broke for their products, theyre doin just what you all are talkin bout... talkin shit about us... fuck em... any chance i can get a product bootlegged or hacked, copied or cracked, im gonna do it.

RS fo' LIFE tho!!!

da relic

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
No wait a minute what about good companies like Ableton? They have said multiple times that they get that hip-hop producers and beat makers are one of the primary markets for Live and they try and improve each program version for producers. They also really go out of there way to help there customers. Why not support a company like that?

DJ EThical

ill o.g.
I wouldn't be anything if it were not for my MPC, its sucks to know its not backed up with a good company like it used to.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
one of my friends was trying to get a mpc 3000 fixed and he told me that akai doesnt carry replacement parts for it any longer.

ill o.g.
No wait a minute what about good companies like Ableton? They have said multiple times that they get that hip-hop producers and beat makers are one of the primary markets for Live and they try and improve each program version for producers. They also really go out of there way to help there customers. Why not support a company like that?

I have heard great stories about Ableton, and I even hit them up a few years ago for a problem I had with my MIDI controller functionality with the interface. They walked me through step by step, and not once did the dude sound like he was getting frustrated or pissed off when I was asking him questions that a beginner would normally ask. And plus, Jazzy Jeff uses it, so I have to love it.

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
For sure, it's not about what you use, it's how you use it. It took me years to finally figured it out. You wouldn't believe how much money I spent because I thought If I just got this one tool I'll be the next Dr. Dre. Doesn't work like that.

I've never owned an MPC, but I have used them and I own a MPD24(It's for sale) and honestly I wouldn't buy another Akai Product. The MPD really turned me off of Akai products.

thats the most asanine statement i ever heard, the first akai product youve ever tried is a midi controller and it turned you off to buying anything from a company that got famouse off making sequencers, not midi controllers

mumkai

ill o.g.
one of my friends was trying to get a mpc 3000 fixed and he told me that akai doesnt carry replacement parts for it any longer.

this is very true. akai show NO support, none whatsoever when it comes to fixing or replacment parts. there are threads upon threads on the MPCforums about dead pixels on the MPC2000 and MPC2000XL. you must go 3rd party website or a dealer that will charge up the a$$. its shows because akai has moved onto the steroid induced MPC 5000, which seems dope, but from what i heard has its bugs. there are better options now in terms of hardware - openlabs, mv-8800, even a sp-404, etc..

DP has a good point, but most companies live off of dumb consumers. personally i dont care what a company thinks of me. my mpc2000xl is built tough man. and anyway whoever said that is probably some ignorant. accountant or money guy who knows crap about music.... i mean for Akai to say their products are for the dumb, hiphop head, beat makers then are they saying J-dilla, dre, just blaze, hi-tek, dj shadow, cut chemist alchemist, and many many other producers are dumb?! these guys made AKAI...

its sounds alot of peeps on here think the MPC is outdated and thats OK. the 60 and 3000 are still very widely used machines(along with the 2000XL, its just i feel the 60 and 3000 are better). they both have the roger Linn samplers and I havent found too much software or hardware that can copy that MPC feel..that swing. not sure how to describe it. all in all its a matter of preference. Ive made beats on logic and reason and then sampled them back into my MPC, tweaked it, then recorded it back in logic etc.

thats my 2cents.

members online