Akai S700 Manual

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You Are my Jesus Christ (saviour)! Damn homie; i have posted, asked, & shopped everywhere for this. I've had this unit for awhile i could do basic stuff with it but couldn't get down to the nitty gritty of it and figure how to use it in my set-up. Let me know if theres anything i can do for ya just PM me. Thanks again. PZ

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
yeah, this is a rare manual, akai has every manual listed online except for this one and I dont like paying for a manual, I'd pay for the paper though lol!

You got the AKS70 board installed ? Second, check out the 13pin din socket, I believe you have a total of 16 outputs when the AKS70 board is installed.

I havent touch the fucker yet, but it's your basic gritty drums machine, its the S900/S950 or MPC60 engine. I got it hooked to the mpc and installed a AtariSt emulator so I can runn an editor that dumps over SMDS (midi). Download steem (atari emu) here http://steem.atari.st/ and Soundsystem X7000 at http://www.plontke.de/HaraldPlontke (X7000 also edits the S700). This should give you the convenience to edit samples properly and prevent messing up samples via record input.

TymE

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Not to sure about the S70 card..In fact i don't know to much about this at all not sure if it has the expanded memory etc. I've been using a MPC for 6 years, and this is the first rackmount sampler i'm using..so i'm a bit confused right now..

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Its a very simple machine, the basic model comes with 6 slots for a max of 8secs sampling time. With the AKS70 it expands to 16 slots of 8 secs of which I believe those on the AKS70 is flashram, so samples remain in memory when powered down. I havent really dug into it to get really specific but I believe that in order to use multiple samples at once is done by splitting the keyrange into zones (6), its in the manual aswell. That Soundsystem program is the only S700 editor I've come along, with this you can create the keyranges as edit the whole sample with the S700 function parameters. So when its sound good in the editor then you only need to dump it to the S700 ( its slow but a piece of cake).

F

FloFlood

X7000

I'm stunned by the quality of this 25 year old machine. On power, no cracking in
the speakers, no noise/hiss, clean output even on high volumes. Metall casing.
Very convincing sound quality. No clicks in low sub-bass/drum sampling. Sampling
with 5 khz (an 8th of 44khz) does it. No digital artefacts, no fuzz. (use filter)
Musical functions: looping back+forth and dynamic filter (playable via build-in
dynamic keyboard). Pro add-on options: battery backed ram upgrade and 6 individual
outputs via cable (but selfmake box?). Multi-sampling: Keys+Midi via 6-16 keyzones.
QUESTION: Does anybody has a manual about the ROM 2.1 upgrade? What does it do?
Also about the battery backed RAM upgrade: Is there a shortcut for resetting the
machine to factory settings. The outputs: Are they equally to the samples 1-6 ?
Judge it by yourself in real or via media: The X7000 leaves my EPS, S-10 behind in
clean lo-freq power and usability. It's a keeper (i've the battery ram and ROM 2.1)
FloFlood

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'm stunned by the quality of this 25 year old machine. On power, no cracking in
the speakers, no noise/hiss, clean output even on high volumes. Metall casing.

6x BA6110 vca right there, proper enough and still being used to this day (xoxbox). Old akai stuff,unlike their new stuff, are build like tanks.

Very convincing sound quality. No clicks in low sub-bass/drum sampling. Sampling
with 5 khz (an 8th of 44khz) does it. No digital artefacts, no fuzz. (use filter)

unlike the new samplers, the old series drive a higher current to the 6110s for bigger headroom. I have not been able to confirm it but considering that era,i think it has the cem chips in there for filter as did on their ax/vx series aswell.

Musical functions: looping back+forth and dynamic filter (playable via build-in
dynamic keyboard). Pro add-on options: battery backed ram upgrade and 6 individual
outputs via cable (but selfmake box?). Multi-sampling: Keys+Midi via 6-16 keyzones.

Check the pdf in the 2nd post here, it has a pin out diagram for the 13pin-din socket which was used to modulate the 6 outs through an ax/vx synth (also very nice synths). Making the converterbox isnt that hard, you need some female jack sockets and wire the signal/ground to them..thats it.

Note; the expansion provides 16! voices, though its polyphony remains 6.

QUESTION: Does anybody has a manual about the ROM 2.1 upgrade? What does it do?

I dont have it and i dont have the s700 anymore, ive provided a link to a dutch site below that has parts up for grabs, to cheap. He might be able to provide you with info about that or the actual manual on the rom update.

Also about the battery backed RAM upgrade: Is there a shortcut for resetting the
machine to factory settings.
nope, at least not that im aware of since i didnt have service manual for it. The machine is pretty straight forward though, once the ask70 is installed it will show voice slots 7-10 and you can overwrite/delete.

The outputs: Are they equally to the samples 1-6 ?

No, they're assignable in order to be able to make stereo playback possible :)

Judge it by yourself in real or via media: The X7000 leaves my EPS, S-10 behind in
clean lo-freq power and usability. It's a keeper (i've the battery ram and ROM 2.1)
FloFlood

I've sold mine in favor of another collector but these go around for +/- 50 bucks or less and almost identical to the S612 which is still being used in some big ass studios for its sampling+trigger option. Anyway, you have the ask70 board but if youre looking for spares check the link below.

Also if interested i still have x7k editor and steem atari emulator for editing and sds dumping.

http://vintageplanet.nl/pages/other.html

Get one NNXT, or a s612 :)