accents

lilhatedon

none of Y.G.D.B
ill o.g.
Why is it people won't listen to certain peoples shit if there from another state or in my case another country?

Why peoples seem to think cuz your accent is different that automatically its wack?

Why don't people tack the time to here what the artist is actually sayin b4 sayin its garbage or shitty?

do you think it will ever change? will people just rate hip hop for what it is or from which part of the globe it came from?

Now these are just questions which i wanna here ppl thoughts

M

MIKELABZ

i definitely feel wut u are sayingwhen u rap u put urself out there and sometimes the feedback is positive and asometimes its negative... in people's ignorance they sacrifice wut is said for how it is said... when really they both need to be taken into account... and then from there can you determine whether or not the artist is good or not...but even then theres gonna be those who listen to hip hop exclusively for the instrumentla and not for the werds ...quite honestly the majority of lusteners cant relate to what the rapper is saying so they automatically focus in on the beat ferst.. and determine from that point whether the artist is hot or noty... the thing to remember is that the rapper does not make the beat he is seperate from that process (unless ur like me and produce and rap ), therefore his perception is of a reaction to the beat... he can only rap wut the beat tells him and frankly not all rappers can rap over all beats... off topic... but still on point... but despite whether they come across off beat or if they seem to have a rhyme every tap of the hat... its the werds that are said that really count... anybody can get on a mic and repeat nursery rhymes and people will think nothing of it... it seems like if u put a hot beat behind any trash nowadays its considered great! to me until you spit something that i can delve into and have to hear it more then once before i get it... u aint shyt.

L-Rock

hookiefree

Beat Monster
ill o.g.
I'm one of those people that hone in on the beat first. I listen to the lyrics with my periphrial hearing until I pick up on something slick.

I guess u can either wait ur turn until the UK blows up lilhatedon or find a way to use it to ur advantage. I've been hearing NY accents as long as I've been hearing rap. I used to laugh at NWA's slang and accents until the West coast blew up. The dirty South accents kill me the most and they say people from DC sound country. But they worked it to their advantage and made it gimmicky. People don't like to come out there comfort zones and embrace new things sometimes. Imagine what Eminem went through!

E

Equality 7-2521

i think there will always be some who simply wont accept a different accent.....but i think that more and more and more poeple are opening their eyes and welcoming the diversity that is Hiphop.

i posted a link to some Aussie Hiphop a little while ago and evryone who responded said they dug to some extent or another........which was satisfying in a way........knowing that people here appreciate good music over being all hung up on the accent.

personally, i like hearing Hiphop from other countries.......accents give tracks originality and represent culture to some extent and thats significant for me since Hiphop is a multicultural culture.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i agree with what you guys said but..... and this is a big but, in my opinion flow and delivery are more important than lyrics... to grab someones attention your delivery must be on point..i dont care if the person speaks martian if there style is hot then its hot.. busta ryhmes "when disaster strikes" was easily his best album to date..it was because of the ill flow he used and hasn't since...... thats why that punjabi mc shit blew up in america for a minute..no one knew what the hell he was sayin but just the way he said it.... so in short if you have an accent... use it to your advantage to come with a new type of flow that catches the ear... i read somewhere that the british accent has the most commanding presence of any accent...so.....

M

MIKELABZ

i feel that... like i said tho... delivery and intellectual usage of werds is how i rate rap skills... being a rapper myself i feel as tho once u get over how i said it then the thing that sticks with you is wut i said... thats all im sharing or i would have to grant u access to top secret info thats only available to MC's of the ninth degree.

L-Rock

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
I fell what yall are sayin especially because Im in Houston seems like around here mc's can say anything and still get props as long as they sound like a southern rapper. Go look up some ESG and Slim Thug then listen to lil flip. All of their styles are the same and they say basically the same shit "Ima come down Ima bang screw/Southside Houston vet now tell me what it do" or some "Wood grain bumpa' and grill/southside houston texas why dont ya tell me how ya feel" shit, I hate it but thats the way it goes. The funny thing is that it seems the people that do real good here cant do shit nationaly or worldwide, for example nobody listened to Scarface untill he blew up, but everybody listens to z-ro and his style wont let him go anywhere, I say take your accent find a gimmick and run with it. Off topic have yall heard of screw? Its like takin a song and slowin it down like 50 bps and its the hottest thing around here right now and I hate it right now z-ro is hot but nobody listens to anything that he does that isnt screwed and he's so used to having to rap fast for the screw that he doesnt sound right when its not screwed up.

M

MIKELABZ

philly accent ...of course theres a philly accent... check out the movie rocky... he lives the philly accent...

L-Rock

hookiefree

Beat Monster
ill o.g.
Goldy - I never heard of screw. Is there something online I can listen to?

LavRock - U sound like Rocky when u rap?? When I say I didn't know there was a Philly accent I meant that none of the Philly rappers that I have heard have anything that stood out to me that could be pigeon holed or discriminated against. Not like down south or west coast. The east coast pretty much sounds the same to me.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Yeah Slick Rick did it but his accent seemed like he was doing it as a gimmick back when that dropped even though we know that he was originally from Britain and came as a youth.....but anyhow I think at one time there might have been some type of stigma attached, but look at Dancehall Reggae and Beenie Man....that shidds international, all I say is listen to the beat and see how their delivery fits, there's people in the USA who's delivery doesn't fit and their accent has nothing to do with it....also I was digging those groups from Australia that got posted in one of the other Forums........I think the only people that instantly knock the accent might not be the production minded individuals such as ourselves...but some more of the boxed in consumers that won't buy any music that's hip hop not unless it's mainstream USA or underground steet flava....

M

MIKELABZ

look at the bol kanye west with his wired jaw... instead of accent i think we should call it delivery... cause some people like myslef sound totally different in person then they do on tracks ... and no i dont sound like rocky on tracks... he sounded fuccin retarded... but the philly accent was there...

its a mix between a DC southern drawl and a New York Nasal... Philly is run by italians and jews so its a mix of their cultures basically...

L-Rock

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
Originally posted by hookiefree
Goldy - I never heard of screw. Is there something online I can listen to?

come on my nigg, everyone done heard somethin screwed up...you seen the erica badu video with common "love of my life" they screwed up the song towards the end of the video. its when they slow it down and everythin gets all blurry. its some shit that you listen to when you're high or drunk (screwed up).

yo dat z-ro pretty hot tho. dats da first time i heard him.

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
Even when Im fucked up I cant listen to anybody screwed accept z-ro and pac lol. That shit wuz tight when they screwed the end of Erykah Badu's video, did you notice that everything turned kinda purpleish when it slowed down lol I wonder if Erykah fucks with lean.:confused:

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
we even got that accent problem in the netherlands, and the netherlands is like fuckin small, i could fart and everyone would hear..
its just ignorance.. i used to irritate me on people ignorant like that. nowadays i make my music and ignore the ignorant..

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Originally posted by lilhatedon
Why is it people won't listen to certain peoples shit if there from another state or in my case another country?

Why peoples seem to think cuz your accent is different that automatically its wack?

Why don't people tack the time to here what the artist is actually sayin b4 sayin its garbage or shitty?

do you think it will ever change? will people just rate hip hop for what it is or from which part of the globe it came from?

Now these are just questions which i wanna here ppl thoughts

LIL, I feel what ya sayin man,,,I think accents are dope man. It jus shows how Hip Hop IS universal as a culture!

hookiefree

Beat Monster
ill o.g.
J I don't even remember that par of the eryka badu video. screw isn't just a slowed down song is it? they just slow a track down so they can rap real fast on it right?

members online

No members online now.