Ableton Live for recording vocals

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
In the past month I have seen multiple people mention the use of live to record their vocals with. I always thought it was more of a production tool, but I guess I am wrong. DueceMade Ent. mentioned that you could scrub with it even through rewire which is deff cool. I have been using cooledit to lay down the vocals, am I behind the times? What is the big advantage of this program?

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Ableton Live is a musical sequencing instrument, meaning you can take this program and use it amongst a band of musicians or stand alone to do your music production. It's also used by a lot of DJ's to play music in and untraditional but popular electronic way (instead of using turntables). Ableton Live is also a loop based instrument because you can construct and reconstruct, mangle, slice and dice loops "on the fly" to create new interesting sequences and soundscapes. It is not a traditional sequencer where you can record your vocals straight like you would with Sonar, Cubase, etc you have to turn off warping on the track you wish to record vocals or else it will loop it continuously by default.

You've heard Ableton Live mentioned because it's a worthy application for audio production, there are a lot of advantages and maybe disadvantages depending on how you have your studio lab setup and what you want to accomplish. Don't use it just because you've heard the hype use it because you have a certain NEED for it. Download the demo and check it out yourself.

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't see why you should change program shwaz. I'm a big Live user but for recording there don't seem to be a real avantage to live except that all my beat are made in live... So if your cool with cool edit and you don't make beats with live, I don't see why switching.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Well Shwaz, in the specific configuration that ive been using (Live Rewired to Reason) this simply enables me to make easy and quick edits as i stream both audio files in sync....Essentially, u could do this without 2 prgms depending on what u do yer drums trax with in the 1st place - for example, Project 5 is kind of a one-stop prgm that does both of these things in one prgm, so there is no need for Rewire....I just find using Rewire to be a great alternative since im not keen to leaving reason, being that its my central prgm for music creation. For me, i like how 'simple', 'easy', and 'straight foward' it is to accomplish the tasks im looking to take on with Live since its not cluttered with a shit load of useless features that dont particularly interest me. It really just depends on what your aim is as to using a prgm like live....tho, im sure using live will be plenty suitable for whatever sonic needs u have considering its a prgm capable of just about anything else the typical sequencing prgm provides these days.

members online