Ableton Live 4

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
It finaly has midi features, quite good ones too. Also has rewire hosting and client so ima need 3 monitors in a setup ( live 17"/left - rewire client, logic 22"/center - rewire host, FL4 17"/right - rewire client ). In contradiction to Logic and FL, Live's gui cq. protocol is based on using the program for live jamming, there's no environment to build. It's simple, everything ( audio, midi, fx, whatever it eats ) is drag n drop from folder/tree and is fool proof designed in order to keep a result while working live on a track, even the sample previews matches the project's tempo automaticly. This means working more intuitive thus giving room for improvisement without a fuzz. Though it's meant for outside the studio I still think it's a good addition to anyone's setup since the way you work around the programs offers a different perspective and different outcomes, just unlike any other platform. Either hiphop or 4to-the-floor, this must be some proper programming.

Check it out

specs
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live&sub=FeatureList

Mainpage
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=live

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm curious, you'll still use logic AND fl AND live in your live setup?

I'm an live user myself but except reason sometimes, I use it as a stand alone. With all the new midi feature I don't really see the point of using logic at the same time.

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
yea dnt is right its a pretty straight forward and easy manual to get into so it shouldnt be that hard to understand ...HOLLA AT YA BOY

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I heard about the new version of Ableton Live 4 the other day, I'll be buying the upgrade in July when it comes out. I use Live in conjunction with FL Studio now (crucial combo) and to be honest I don't use much of anything else anymore except for sonar to lay down my vocals but I even have a way of laying my vocals inside of Live.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Making the Switch

I've been a loyal FL user since the days of 3.5 (just messing around then). In recent months I became more serious as I explored FL Studio 4. I even dabbled in Acid. But, recently I've just felt a bit restricted by these programs. I think they're great programs and people can work wonders with them, but I just wasn't able to achieve the sound that I wanted. I tried a cubase demo. I couldn't handle the learning curve because I'm too busy, but I still plan on getting it though.

Ableton Live 4 is EASY to use, especially after reading the first half of the manual. Everything syncs better than Acid. The inteface is simple, no frills. Once you get to know the set up and some of the keystrokes, everything else is easy. My VSTs work wonderfully and I found a free soundfont player that I like better than FL Studio's( http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm). Also, the resulting sound in the program is much cleaner in my opinion, fuller I guess. I love the session view as I can basically just mix shit up to test combinations of sounds. I have Kontakt, which is powerful, but is a bit complicated (I should've listened to Truth and bought Sampletank), but the Simpler sampler included in Ableton is dope. Impulse the Drum/percussion sampler is crazy too.

I originally planned to keep FL to make loops and use via rewire, but today I changed my mind. Ableton is dope and powerful as a standalone application.

I'm hooked. I suggest you all give the demo a try.

Ctrl.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've been using Ableton Live for a while now, I first got started on version 3. For audio routing and recording in my opinion nothing beats it. Its just too flexible and it can be used in a live environment not too many audio applications can hang with Ableton on that note. It's also right at home in the studio for production purposes. I'm glad you found out about a great program.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
M!nd_Ctrl said:
I've been a loyal FL user since the days of 3.5 (just messing around then). In recent months I became more serious as I explored FL Studio 4. I even dabbled in Acid. But, recently I've just felt a bit restricted by these programs. I think they're great programs and people can work wonders with them, but I just wasn't able to achieve the sound that I wanted. I tried a cubase demo. I couldn't handle the learning curve because I'm too busy, but I still plan on getting it though.

Ableton Live 4 is EASY to use, especially after reading the first half of the manual. Everything syncs better than Acid. The inteface is simple, no frills. Once you get to know the set up and some of the keystrokes, everything else is easy. My VSTs work wonderfully and I found a free soundfont player that I like better than FL Studio's( http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfz.htm). Also, the resulting sound in the program is much cleaner in my opinion, fuller I guess. I love the session view as I can basically just mix shit up to test combinations of sounds. I have Kontakt, which is powerful, but is a bit complicated (I should've listened to Truth and bought Sampletank), but the Simpler sampler included in Ableton is dope. Impulse the Drum/percussion sampler is crazy too.

I originally planned to keep FL to make loops and use via rewire, but today I changed my mind. Ableton is dope and powerful as a standalone application.

I'm hooked. I suggest you all give the demo a try.

Ctrl.

I must say this first!
Better than ACID? I don't know. I have use Live 1 & 4 and nuthin' syncs like ACID.

Live has a much better sound than ACID. Must be the sound processors and looks better, lol

ill o.g.
Ableton Live 4 Is Indeed An Amazing Piece Of Software

There have been endless waves of hype around this baby, so i have decided to take the time and fully master it in order to make an opinion of my own. And damn, it's an amazing program indeed. It has a remarkable workflow + it has all the tools\options needed in order to rock a beat from scratch. 'Impulse' is an amazing drum sampler. 'Simpler' is a very good sampler. All in all, this might be the best piece of software available for sample-based grooves. Mercury Waters has always recommended Live - I absolutely second his opinion. Once you take the time to fully learn and master Live, you will find an extraordinary sequencer with many unbelievably incredible possibilities. The art of sampling revised! ;)

Don't Sleep,
Wings

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
nice stories might take a while before i try it out though.

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yo sounds nice i have been checkin it out and stuff, wonderin do you need a midi controler to use sounds in live or can i make beats with out it like i can do in fruityloops.

E

Equality 7-2521

i read a recent Future Music mag the other day and they rated ableton live 4 the best sequencer out there and praised it highly. ive heard only great things about this program but i havnt tried it yet.

O

Okiekine

It's nice. I still turn to Fruity to make the loops though. I don't know if that's just a familiarity thing or something with a reason behind it. Ableton is excellent for arranging the loops into an actual song, and I suspect if I can ever wrap my head around the options, it will make a great instrument to play live.

members online