A Simpler Approach to Mixing

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Joe Guilder, part of the Studio One team! #ganggang
They really need a Hip-Hop guy on board. They've got Joe (rock) and Gregor (probs edm-ish stuff)

yeah he's got good tips.

Though, RE the 'set levels, only then think about comp/eq' I'm back in two minds about. Sometimes I just know a sound is gonna need/want to be beefier/whatever, before waiting for the mix stage and then beefing one thing, having to beef others, whilst trying to keep levels in mind. I dunno, mixing is a beautifully ugly thing.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Yeah I thought about that but for what they have already it's solid. These guys knows their stuff. Studio One is such a great DAW and for me it was easy to transition from Cakewalk, with the similar layout and all that.
Yeah I remember him doing a video on lufs or something though, trying to explain it but got it wrong or something? / admitted he didn't fulyl get it, I dunno.

Got love and respect for him. Great vids. But I always hate seeing mixing vids talking about like, pre-millenium rock type music. Most of it doesn't really feel applicable, or not in a way you can actually see/hear when described. Don't tend to find too many good hip-hop / commercial mix videos floating around I find. Not in the same way you find the rock ones.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Don't tend to find too many good hip-hop / commercial mix videos floating around I find. Not in the same way you find the rock ones.
True. I guess most of the Hip Hop ones involve a beat machine, which in all fairness is what the viewers want to see, not just a DAW. I was looking at the Presonus Atom the other day, it looks really good. The new software update now allows for sample chopping (start/end points), which is a game changer for that little box.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
True. I guess most of the Hip Hop ones involve a beat machine, which in all fairness is what the viewers want to see, not just a DAW. I was looking at the Presonus Atom the other day, it looks really good. The new software update now allows for sample chopping (start/end points), which is a game changer for that little box.
shit i'll have to check RE update.

I've got the ATOM. I use it to do all my drums. (and samples if I do boombap)

OGBama

Big Clit Energy

members online