A more dirtyer sound in Reason 3?

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I've been told that my sound are too clean, not cheesy or cheap, but too clean. Usually I uses the compressor and the Scream 4.

Do you have any tip on how to make your sounds in Reason sound more grimy/dirty?

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont think there is any specific way to go about it....all manner of effects could make it possible...or the use of different samples...but for things so non specific i think thats when its best to experiment...you want to know something that you can do in many different ways, its best to find out whats best for you, and more importantly, best for each individual track

oh and a pedantic lesson on language....more dirtier is a tautism...you used two comparatives together......more dirty...or dirtier are correct......sorry im a pretentious fuck when it comes to language, and it just hurts to read that title

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
you can use filters and EQ's on the samples to make them thinner and get more out of the distortion module either turn it up, or find some better settings. Or you can rewire it into Cool edit and use some VST effects, but then again, you will find it pretty hard to find a better distorion moudle than the scream. OR when you are sampleing sample at a lower rate like 22khz. Plenty of ways to get that song down to tha dirt

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
think you can make your sounds MORE DIRTIER, if you use dirtier samples. If you play your stuff, then just keep it clean, cause those keyboard beats with that looped "vinyl sound in them sound sooo plastic.

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
mr mello said:
think you can make your sounds MORE DIRTIER, if you use dirtier samples. If you play your stuff, then just keep it clean, cause those keyboard beats with that looped "vinyl sound in them sound sooo plastic.

ok thats not making the sounds dirty thats using Dirty he wants to Make his own Clean sounds more Dirty

you can make Clean sounds sounds gritty as fuck if you know whats up

Evil Scientist

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
bhunt said:
you can use filters and EQ's on the samples to make them thinner and get more out of the distortion module either turn it up, or find some better settings. Or you can rewire it into Cool edit and use some VST effects, but then again, you will find it pretty hard to find a better distorion moudle than the scream. OR when you are sampleing sample at a lower rate like 22khz. Plenty of ways to get that song down to tha dirt

I wouldn't suggest sampling at lower frequencies (ever) but you could possibly try bitcrushing them down to 8 or 12bit for a crunchier, dirtier sound

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
If u select Low-Bandwidth on the mods like the subtractor or the mal, or i think even the XT - it gives u a lower bit rate i think cuz the sound becomes pretty shitty.....I personally like having the clean sound that reason gives u.

Big Tone

You done fucked up
ill o.g.
jmaafia said:
and one question you have to ask yourself is do YOU think they are too clean? if you like it the way it is, just develop your style...as long as you pull it off well people arent gonna trip. "yeah his tracks are fuckin hard but they sound to clean..." i dont think so

amen to that bro

DJ Increment

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
too clean! i know what you mean!!i wonder if changing the master tune down would do anything to make a grimmyer sounding beat?

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
I dont know if you are making beats samplebased, when sampling drums, melodies, basses and so on your sound ussually will be dirtier (depending on your sampleselection ;0), when playing in everything things prolly will be more clean.. cant give you any tips dont work with reason my self but filtering is the magic word i guess just dont overdo it..

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
RigorMortis said:
I dont know if you are making beats samplebased, when sampling drums, melodies, basses and so on your sound ussually will be dirtier (depending on your sampleselection ;0), when playing in everything things prolly will be more clean.. cant give you any tips dont work with reason my self but filtering is the magic word i guess just dont overdo it..

Well i'm making non sample beats, but I do both, but I was asking tips on non sampled beats.

jmaafia said:
and one question you have to ask yourself is do YOU think they are too clean? if you like it the way it is, just develop your style...as long as you pull it off well people arent gonna trip. "yeah his tracks are fuckin hard but they sound to clean..." i dont think so

Well... good question. Personnaly, I know my sound a clean, but I don't think it's TOO clean, I think it gives it my own style. But, the person who told me that [my cousin] is really a hiphop head. You know, you always have someone in your entourage that you will always take his comments into consideration? Well for me it's him. Though, I think that he is a little wrong.

Thx everybody for the tips, if you have anymore, keep them coming!

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Alright theres a lot of really simple techniques to use once you learn your equipment. Using high pass filters is an easy way to put grit on any sound, click into hp on one of your modules like nn 19 or rex and slide the frequency slide up and down until you find the sound you want. After that throw it into scream and turn the distortion down to a pretty low level and experiment with the different effects available to add a little more grizzle to it. Also a little reverb can enhance the grit sound and I always put a little reverb on every instrument even if its just a small almost unnoticeable amount. All these techniques can be done in realtime right within reason so try them out.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yea what smith said, do YOU think they is cheap sounding? telll those geezers to fuck off, and make their own beats, and when they do, tell them how cheap they sound, see how they like it....

oh yea, digital distorition is VERY VERY VERY VERY WACK!!!!! dont use it....

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
like on just about every device (Even the nnxt but u gotta look for it) theres setting like:
Notch
HP12
BP12
LP
etc..

click on those till u get a dirty sound. or play ur instrument, export that one insstrument. and sample it. u can apply a vst effect onto it outside of reason then load it back in as a sample or something. but most of all play wit the Mastring Combi