A few things I am sick of in hip-hop....

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I agree, the way i see it...hip hop has done what life and society has done. Everything is streamlined and straight to the point...make money! Labels have cut the fat and gone on a serious lean diet...why have traditional hip hop that generates 2 billion dollars a year when you can focus all of your efforts into "thug hop" thats generating 10 billion a year? I said it before...we once had political rap (PE), knowledge rap(KRS), kiddie rap(Kris Kross), mixed rnb rap(TLC) and so on... now we're stuck with Lil Wayne(auto tune rap)...hahahaha

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
For example Bob Dylan, Jim Croce are time less. You can air there songs on the radio today and they could fit in. But The cars sound dated.

But if they came out today, would they be able to succeed? I don think so (This goes for Mike Jack, James Brown or any world class talent from generations ago)

I agree, the way i see it...hip hop has done what life and society has done. Everything is streamlined and straight to the point...make money!

exactly, which is "Real" music that reflects our society today

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Music is a reflection of society to some extent. Dumb people want dumb music that's fact. Maybe I refuse to believe the majority of the population is plain ignorant ...eventhough it's been proven many times.

Its a mixture: People are dumb yes, but you have really nerdy people also. Thats mixed with... society wants something new. They dont want what the last generation did, they want to make their own. Unfortunately, NerdRap and Boss life raps are the only 2 new things that have amassed attention. (Via bloggers aka new gen taste makers)

(Theres a diff between Gangsta and and Boss raps

Gangsta rap = Ima shoot you | Boss rap = I wouldve shot you years ago, but Im a boss now, I'll get someone else to do it)

Agreed w/Dac

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I hate to say this, but nerdcore just cracks me up. MC Frontalot is so awesome!

Nerdcore is SO much better than gangsta rap, at least you know the nerdcore guys are keeping it real!

And I had this song stuck in my head for days. If you never played Zork back in the day you would not understand this song at all. But hey I love it!

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
But those are underground nerdcores ...I was really referring to Gnarls Barkley, NERD/Neptunes, Gorillaz, M.I.A, Asher Roth, Kid Kudi and the likes; not that these acts are garbage but they're definitely the products of Marketing departments.

I hate to say this, but nerdcore just cracks me up. MC Frontalot is so awesome!

Nerdcore is SO much better than gangsta rap, at least you know the nerdcore guys are keeping it real!

And I had this song stuck in my head for days. If you never played Zork back in the day you would not understand this song at all. But hey I love it!

‪MC Frontalot - It Is Pitch Dark‬‏ - YouTube

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.

This is true lol

But those are underground nerdcores ...I was really referring to Gnarls Barkley, NERD/Neptunes, Gorillaz, M.I.A, Asher Roth, Kid Kudi and the likes; not that these acts are garbage but they're definitely the products of Marketing departments.

Well, how many artists out now dont fall under the nerdcore image? I referr to the new artists but alot of old have also

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You guys realize of course music that fits your personal taste is still being commercially released right? Some o these threads make it seem like the 10 songs in the radio are the only new records that the people get to hear...there is more variety in music today than ever before!

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The internets dac...the internets...

When I get home Ima post a buch of clips from these local guys that ya'll can vibe too...there really is something for everybody now...

Can't believe yall still havent figured out how to turn off the damn radio...it will only depress you...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
I literally haven't listen to regular radio in at least 3 years, not once! I have checked some satellite radio in the rides but I haven't even listened to that in the past 6 mos. and I'm paying out over $300 a year on it. Anyway, I was referring to major league ish, not the minors. Yeah you can find local talent everywhere but you can't even talk about it because nobody knows what you're talking about...lol. The variety in music thats relevant isn't there anymore. It's been gone.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Relevance is a matter of one's perspective though...one of the groups down here ima put u on to just got signed to and is touring with tech nine...pretty major ish...jusr check back with the thread tonight...you asked for some good honest hip hop and Ill show it to ya...

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Relevance is a matter of one's perspective? - one persons perspective doesn't make something relevant to hip hop (a wide variety of people under the same umbrella), one's perspective makes it relevant to that individual which ties back into me saying that if nobody knows who you're talking about - its not relevant. Thats really the ultimate goal of any aspiring artist - to become relevant which leads to success, money, fame and so on... I think we're on two different pages here, I'm looking for the variety in hip hop thats relevant.

LouBez

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Whats relevant in todays marketplace though? Clear channel rotation? 100,000 youtube views? Mtv jam of the week? 50,000 records sold your first week? A million ringtones?

I mean these guys from round the way, the group Wizard Sleeve, couldnt catch a break nationally but went platinum in the UK, they were even on the cover of Computer Music a few months back...to me thats crazy relevant but "nobody" has ever heard of them...

I got 15 artists who make the kind of hip hop you have been wanting to hear...you mean to tell me ur just gonna pass cause you dont think they're "relevant"?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.