A copy right question, but unique...

P

pmJ

I've been reading some of these post about copyrighting and all that good legal stuff.

But..

When you send just a beat/song or an albums worth. Do they listen to every single track to see if it contains any unauthorized samples/re-productions of someelse's work? Or do they assume it's all original cuz you say it is and you some how swear its yours and if not, you get sued?

Also

How do they look at percussion, like kicks and snares(drum tracks)? I've heard a grip songs/beats that probably have the exact same drum track programmed in them. Sometimes some of the tightest beats have very simple, used a hundread thousand times drum tracks in em. My bad if this was a repeat, like I said though, I didn't see anything pertaining to my question.

Thanx, pm

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
If you copyright with any government, they do not have people scanning every song. It is a legal directory that proves that you registered at a certain date a certain work. The validity of your argument would have to be tried in a court. Having a copyright is a way to legitimise your paper trail should another person have the same song you had. Then you could contest it.

For more information, do a Google Search for the protocol regarding the Copyright Office in your country. Then you can email them directly with further inquiries.

Now if you are talking about sample clearance at a major. That's a different story. Usually there is an artist services centre that handles the artist's clearances with the company given administration over a certain person's sample.

It is up to the executive producer, usually, to disclose sample information for clearance. Sometimes, an executive producer will not disclose a sample, knowing that it may be locked from release. In that case, the risk will be assumed by the corporation should a lawsuit occur.

Also, there is a nice little monopoly called "The Harry Fox Agency" whose job it is to find uncleared songs or samples used from artists that hire them as a watchdog. Harry Fox is extremely good at what they do. Actually, it's quite amazing.

Sincerely,
God

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW SOMETHING, CONSULT AN ATTORNEY.

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
why would an executive producer not disclose sample information? jus to see how well they chopped up the sample? or so they dont have to pay. so the harry fox agency watches out for uncleared samples huh. i think i have plenty of beats they wouldnt be able to figure out where i sampled it from.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
1- why would an executive producer not disclose sample information?

- Because the executive producer might know that the sample holder will not release the rights of the sample unless the release is forced. The executive producer will know that the song is a hit, and wants it released. Negotiations for the rights will occur after the release, so the exec. producer gets the hit single out.

If the exec. producer has a hit single out, royalties on the rest of the album will be greater, because of bigger sales due to the single.

2- jus to see how well they chopped up the sample?
- No.

3- or so they dont have to pay.
- They usually have to pay eventually. It's about forcing the release of a hit single so album sales will be bigger.

4- so the harry fox agency watches out for uncleared samples huh. i think i have plenty of beats they wouldnt be able to figure out where i sampled it from.
- You would be surprised at what the Harry Fox Agency can find out. They usually can figure out stuff like that.

Sincerely,
God

THIS IS NOT LEGAL OR BUSINESS ADVICE, IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, PLEASE CONTACT AN ATTORNEY.

pirell

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
actually record companies DO have people paid just to listen out for sampling and use of unauthorised tracks/samples. so watch out, if u know u used sumin that int urs, hope that its not THE best track on ur demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
hey does that mailing beats to ur self thing work? i had a few peeps tell me its perfectly legal but i highly doubt that?!?

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
from wat im told when u mail urself a cd with ur own beats u get a official stamp from the post office of the date it was delivered so it can be used in court as proof that u had the beat before that particular date.i dunno if this really true or not but thats wat i been told by several people and it doesnt cost much so hey its worth a try!!

DJDRAGN9

The Don Gorgon
ill o.g.
yea u supposed to keep it sealed so in case theres a court hearin u let them open it

members online