Will a Dell get the job done?

mad flows

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm about to get custom pc built, but i'm thinking, If just got a dell with a 3.2 p4 processor, 2hd's and a gig of ram, would that do the job. I'm going be using cubase, reason and a emu 1820 card, with a avalon 737 and a rode nt 1000. I'm not sure right now, but if i were to use alot of plugins do ya'll think it would my machine would give out on me. Once i get this computer that's it, i wont be getting another one for a while, so i need to know if this can get the job done with pro quality results. Have any of you guy's used a dell for ya'll DAW, is it great to use for a studio, or does it suck. Please give me some imput.

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Yo my man, Dell sucks ass! IMO. I bought an Inspiron 9100 in August and have had nothing but problems with it. When I sent it in for repairs they sent it back with downgraded parts. They ultimately sent me a "new" one (looked slightly used), but I had to bitch and complain to numerous customer service (10 in all) reps in order to get a call back from a manager. Tech support is okay at best because the reps don't really know anything they just read off of prompts.

Other than that, the specs you gave would work well. I'd suggest upgrading RAM if you are willing because it is cheaper when you first order the computer (as opposed to ordering from Kingston 3 months down the road).

I have a 3.4Ghz P4 Prescott Processor (runs HOT!), 1Gig Ram, LAPTOP. I can run Acid and FL Studio at the same time. I can open over 12 instances of the Kontakt, Intakt and Vapor while adding a shitload of effects in FL, without any problems. I'm sure I can push it more.

Just my thought.

Ctrl

ART MPC 4000

THE NEXT BIG THING
ill o.g.
DO NOT BUY A DELL I REPEAT DO NOT BUY A DELL FOR ANY TYPE OF MUSIC COMPUTER. you can only change the parts with in dell computers with other dell parts. you cant put any out side or after market parts in these computers.

build your own computer. it wont have all that extra crap that that dells and compaqs have.

MikeMiz

ill o.g.
ART MPC 4000 said:
DO NOT BUY A DELL I REPEAT DO NOT BUY A DELL FOR ANY TYPE OF MUSIC COMPUTER. you can only change the parts with in dell computers with other dell parts. you cant put any out side or after market parts in these computers.

build your own computer. it wont have all that extra crap that that dells and compaqs have.

What do you mean by "can't put any outside or aftermarket parts in dell computers"? I know several people using Dell computers for music.

I do agree with you about building your own computer. Just for me it happens to be personal taste, not so much because a Dell computer wouldn't meet my needs.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
I got a Dell in April this year and its working fine. Ive added plenty of Non-Dell parts to it and everything works fine.

Frictionbeats

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 51
Dell

Im Rockin a Dell right now!! I've had no problems!! I have a Dell Precision 530.
Dual 2.0 Xeon processors
1 Gig of memory
Win XP PRO
4 Hard drives
Mbox ( Pro tools LE 6.7 )
Reason 2.5
Sound Forge 7
FL5 Producer edition

that crap about Dell parts only with Dell parts....is Wrong!!
Its a PC!!

The PC you mentioned will get the job done. The key is to keep your PC healthy!!

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
i have a DELL too no problems... run Reason 2.5 and anything else i feel like open and running to the max w/ no problems...

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
MikeMiz said:
What do you mean by "can't put any outside or aftermarket parts in dell computers"?

Yeah, I put Kingston RAM into my Dell which is aftermarket and other products will fit as well, but it's risky because I believe Dell voids all warranties when non-Dell aftermarket parts are added.

mad flows

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Ok, cool i'm considering the dell more, but if i do get it does it matter the model, as long as i get it to the specs i listed.

MikeMiz

ill o.g.
mad flows said:
Ok, cool i'm considering the dell more, but if i do get it does it matter the model, as long as i get it to the specs i listed.

Go for the 8400. By the time you configure one of the lower models with everything you need, you'll end up at the same price anyway.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
If you think you could build your own computer you should DO THAT. It's not hard, i built mine from reading an online manuel. plus it's fun to research the components and match it up to you budget. Sounds like you are putting this on credit. Do Not DO THAT SHIT. 21% interest means you are getting sodomy everyday you have a bad day at work from paying interest. Interest is a way for the iggnorant heirarchy to get even richer.

--find a manuel online

--research components

--buy some parts from tiger.direct, or other cheap places

i don't exactly know your situation but, all i know is don't be a slave.

I am finally out of debt and on unemployment and going to school full-time. This could only be from being debt free. Check Tha Method

haha but if your rich then NM

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
Chrono said:
Sounds like you are putting this on credit. Do Not DO THAT SHIT. 21% interest means you are getting sodomy everyday you have a bad day at work from paying interest. Interest is a way for the iggnorant heirarchy to get even richer.

Yo, I hear you man. The interest on my first statement was over 60 bones and the minimum payment was only like 58 bones. Let's just assume I paid the minimum. That means my balance would continue to rise!!!

-Ctrl

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
M!nd_Ctrl said:
Yo, I hear you man. The interest on my first statement was over 60 bones and the minimum payment was only like 58 bones. Let's just assume I paid the minimum. That means my balance would continue to rise!!!

-Ctrl

I paid minimum amount my old compusa credit card for two years before i quit smokin herb long enough to look at my balance. After two years i owned a few hundred more than the original balance. It's legal to LURE people into credit and then hide the fucking in the lure of paying the minimum balance. But we get prison time for growing weed.