Who puts hooks on their beats?

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I keep hearin cats say you need to have hooks on your beats to shop em better, but damn dog I ain't no rapper. Who does it around here? I mean maybe that would work for some neptunes type beats or something but how do you do that with street shit? Scratch some acapellas on top of it or something?

jawanza malik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I think dats kinda stupid cuz your dictatin da mood of the beat you shoppin.
i let my music do all the negotiatin. if you like it, you do. if not you'll love the NEXT 1

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I guess Im comming from the perspective of someone who as soon as I have a new beat someone is writing to it..So I kinda have to make em like that..But I believe if your going to shop it, peoples ears are kinda tuned to wanting to hear what the chorus does.
Most people wont listen to more than 30 sec of a track before going to the next one anyway so hit em big off top lol.
Jawanza thats what a producer does is dictate the mood of the beat.The mc enhances it.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Dog,

i put hooks on every single one of my beats. the only beats i think that you shouldnt make some type of hook for are like battle beats and freestyle beats. for that street style either create a chourous with some vocal samples or scratches but mainly a good string with some reverb in the back of the mix. try and build with the bars too. increase the pitch of the notes on the string as the hook evolves ya mean. use reverse crash cymbals and sweeping and droning synths on the 2 bar or 4 bar interval to add that building sound as well. maybe throw in a shaker or a tamb. or maraca in where you want the hook to be too and then cut it out when the verse comes back in. kanye uses that trick alot. "This cant be life" "Guess who's back". Kanye is a good hook maker and his beats are somewhat street

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i do from writing lyrics to puttin samples from other songs to hooks from the sample ITS ALL GOOD!!!!

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
depends on what kind of beat it is.... if i don't put a hook in, i'll at least have some kind of breakdown or variation to keep it interesting... most of my beats have hooks though, the only kind of beat i have problem putting hooks in are those sampled freestyle battle type beats

O

open mind

i have no beat without a hook.i think its a must.to keep the overall message of the song ON POINT.

ROD

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I'm learnin how to do it now.. Cause your beat sets the mood but sometime if your style is different then folks dont know how to spit to it.. so with you doin the hook you help them out..

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I always have a hook on my beats, even if its really subtle.

O

open mind

imagine 50cent without a hook he would never sell all that shit.a hook is a must this days.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
i read in a recent music mag, nowadays its easier to shop beats in the industry with hooks already on them. this is taking from pop music where backing tracks would be shopped with the whole song already written. so all the label would do is look for some one to sing the words and package the track.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Dog,

i put hooks on every single one of my beats. the only beats i think that you shouldnt make some type of hook for are like battle beats and freestyle beats. for that street style either create a chourous with some vocal samples or scratches but mainly a good string with some reverb in the back of the mix. try and build with the bars too. increase the pitch of the notes on the string as the hook evolves ya mean. use reverse crash cymbals and sweeping and droning synths on the 2 bar or 4 bar interval to add that building sound as well. maybe throw in a shaker or a tamb. or maraca in where you want the hook to be too and then cut it out when the verse comes back in. kanye uses that trick alot. "This cant be life" "Guess who's back". Kanye is a good hook maker and his beats are somewhat street

I do the same shit. I always add something or take away something to signify the hook.

And i usually make hooks for all my beats. Usually the name of the beat i create is just the feelin i get from it. Then i might hum and mumble the melody of the possible hook. Then i add words to it if somebody is stuck on makin' they own hook for the track.:fun:

its always good to be a producer but an artist on the side too. So u can sell the beat AND get songwriters credit.

1o1

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
It helps alot to have hooks on your beats aswell as have songs written to the r&b beats we do.. makes it easier for the manager to shop and publishers to shop aswell..

Warner Chappel give me song writers to right to are songs so that tells you there is importance to that point..

but a dope beat is a dope beat.. the more you can do to make it easier for the artist to make a great record the better its common sense pretty much..