When buying Records to sample...

ill o.g.
When you go to buy records your gonna sample. And you preview them (on the stores turntable or your vestax). Do you listen to the whole thing? or you listen to a couple tracks?
I dont always preview records (i know its stupid) before i buy them, but sometimes you find the best stuff that way.

So how much of the record do you listen to before you decide to put it back or buy it?

Attachments

• diggin.jpg
    diggin.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 266
E

Equality 7-2521

i only preview the start end and any places where there grooves are not dense (indicates quietness....ie a solo instrument)

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
I PERSONALLY DONT PREVIEW UNLESS THERES A TURNTABLE THERE, iTS NoT STUPID NOT TO PREViEW SHiT, THEM VESTAX THiNGS AINT BEEN AROUND FOREVER.i PICK MY RECORDS MY ARTIST, YEAR, INSTRUMENTS, SONG TITLES, AND ALBUM COVERS...IM A WEIRDO, AND I LISTEN TO START, MIDDLE AND END LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.BUT 95% OF MY RECORDS ARE PURCHASED WITHOUT BEING PREVIEWED, I DO PICK OUT TRASH, BUT IT STILL LOOKS GOOD FOR THE COLLECTIN.CiTY

T

thumper 7

...1st post...

Don't you hate when you get that feeling when you pick up the joint "like this is it" almost like you feel the artists music through the titles and artwork...just that "ooh yeah" ... "this is the one"...then you take it home..pop it in and you are like "this is pure trash !!!"

It's sort of like going to the club getting blasted, taking a shorty to the hotel then waking up in the morning like..."God, please tell me I didn't"

light

Producer
ill o.g.
I usually get them at garage sales or swap meets or second hand stores. so i dont get to preview. and im out in bout ten mins. but if i go to a store that has tables out for me to sample, i usually spend bout an hour or two and listen to everything first.
if im lookin for records just too sample from then i like to smoke and take my first listen at home that way if i hear somthing i can just hit record and flip that shit on the spot

mercurywaters

hip hop in the flesh
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
i don't preview either. i just make sure not to pay alot of money. realistically 9 out of 10 records is going to have something useful on it. its up to your own creativity to use it. if you're just looking for drum breaks though definitely preview. breaks are harder to come by

eka

Mad samplist productions
ill o.g.
I get a lot of records from people who give me their old record collection to and it's all sheit, but I don't give them away, I start looking for weird stuff.
my idea is, I can use everything and anything.

D

Deez

Depends on what i'm looking for. If I go to a store to buy a couple of records, i'm usually looking for a particular sound (arab vocals, evil cello motifs). When I get a record, usually within a few weeks i've stripped it from its environment..... I love playing with sounds, making a kick out of a piano and stuff like that. Sound sonorisation you learn tons about your softwear that you never even knew existed.
This summer I went to a few garage sales aka garbage sales and manage to pick up three crates for under $150 Canadian!! A lot of it was junk(shit quality), but most were tight.... like eka "I can use everything and anything".
Dz

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i just skip thru a good portion of the tracks on each side of the record mostly looking at the intros middle and end of songs.

but the amount of money ive wasted buying the wrong records is like damm

J

JERRY JULIANO

yea i previewed on occasion but most places wont let you. Its more fun that way man, and yea u should be able to use anything...so 8 out of ten records gonna have some hot shit on em...fleamarkets, thrift stores, yard sales, all kinds a shit got good records...bookstores, etc...

Gotta be creative man....

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah u can use anything but u could buy a record with 1 useable sample and the rest might be utter garbage.

so since i aint the kind to collect stuff for the sake of collecting that means i gotta get rid of the record, cause i aint gonna listen to it.

So if i buy a record to sample i gotta like the music on most of the reocrd, and it's gotta have alot of good sample material.

if it aint than im chuckin that shit away

G

Gaz

yea i never listen, i think i have once cos i was paying £10 for a record, turned out it was heavy but normaly i judge by covers, the years i have been diggin i think i have en eye for an 'almost positive dope sample' just by the cover, dunno what it is but i know a few of my boys are the same, we fight over the dope cover records haha

members online