What is a "professional beat"???

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
aight im jus wonderin if yall might know this...im wonderin wut is done to a beat to get "professional sound" so lets take that always on time beat for instance...if i made the same exact beat the gotti made i mean that shit was perfect down to the sound effect...wut else beside just puttin the sounds together did they do to the beat to get the professional sound?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
im not certain i get the question in the correct context, but.....

as far as a beat being "professional", as far as it getting play (because of the song you used as your example) its all about connections-i.e., distribution venues, promotion, etc.- because there is no "professional" sound, PER SE. there are compressors, gates, limiters, sonic maximizers, amps, etc. that are used to process the sound and clean it up. i would venture to say that "professional" beats are done (or at least should be) in stereo sound, and sound good no matter what type of system it gets put in. the thing is most people develop their own tricks and tecniques to get their own sound. zapp and roger, for instance, were well known for their use of the vocoder on their vocals. it really comes down to the engineering aspect of production, if i am understanding your question.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
That is way to hard of a question... professional beat? Years of practice and thousands of dollars worth of gear.... hmmm or a 4-track and a blunt. oh wait. i mean pro tools and some talent. or maybe... it could be a keyboard and a drum machine.... but seriously, i guess a professional mix, then profesional mastering is one of the huge differences. GET SOMEONE ELSE TO MIX, a professional... and then master it. $$$, $$$$$ $$ $$$$$$ $$$ $$? $$$$!

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
yea you got the question rite, i was talkin bout all those filters and all that other ish they do to it, so yea i guess its just wut ever's bein played and sounds decent.

6mics

A professional beat is one that has been mastered.
Thats the difference between Gotti's beat and yours.
Example: Das Efx made a track called 'freak it' or something like that with only drums and piano keys.
The sound from the CD was full and had meat to it.
You can try the same thing on your home setup, burn to CD and then play it. It would sound really cardboard at worst. or not loud enough at best.
it needs to be mastered.
Sound engineers are just like producers they take your work and bring it to life using all the filters and maximisers.
Try listening to LL cool J's 'Imagine that' in a different room from where your speakers are at. You will hear a different bass sound from what you hear when you stand next to the speakers.

Mastering is a seperate art on its own.

light

Producer
ill o.g.
The stage where all the filters effects and such are used on each individual track or instrument is called mixing. then the next stage is where some effects are used like compression and maybe reverb but mostly alot of eq and some gain. this is mastering and isnt done to each and every track but just the stereo "mix" as a whole.

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
Lots of sounds and variety...

R

raider

So how many of y'all master your own tracks, versus getting them mastered?
We had one of our tracks mastered ... there was a slight difference, but not that noticiable. Seems like it's something I could do myself ...

Knock Out

Rap's Genious
ill o.g.
*I've had tracks mastered for a few kids that they've paid for themselves, I also didn't notice to much of a difference. The sound is great, but not WAY better than what I can record myself in my bedroom.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Depends on who did the mastering....say for instance a Dr Dre mix compared to some shidd you could do at home there will be a big difference....even a good expensive mastering studio with the right hardware can take a mixed 1 track L & R wave and do some unbelievable things....a lot of mastering has to do with the right amount of effect, equ and leveling that's the basics but good seasoned engineers know how to take a piece of junk and work with it and get it album ready....but as someone said the mixdown is very important that's why you will never get your one track mastered as well as taking separated waves to a real pro to get it mastered or dumped from adat or dat...

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
To answer this post, I believe there needs to be statements about two subtopics that arise from this question:

1. Professionalism from an analytic standpoint.
2. The relativity of what is defined as professional.

I don't want to sound pedantic, however, I believe if these two analyses are touched upon, it will ultimately bring forth a solution. Here it goes:

Professionalism from an analytic standpoint.

This envelopes the ability for an individual to possess the knowledge and wherewithal to effectively utilise technical studio components. Essentially, professionalism, in your case, may be equated with an advanced knowledge of studio engineering and understanding the environment in which you operate as a producer/engineer.

A pertinent understanding of different types of reverb, like plate reverb (as an example) and the underlying technical mathematics involved in different forms of reverb. For example some reverb is actually a more sophisticated delay, as Steinberg does on some of its Reverb plug-ins. This is done to create an advantageous solution in regards to allocation of system resources. Other programs use different implementations of mathematical representation that offer a different type of reverb, some say more realistic, albeit with a different methodology.

This reverb example I gave you, if you are rolling your eyes in boredom, is to show you that you need to delve into a greater understanding of the technology involved in your studio. Do you know why different ratios of compression are used on the recorded voice than on a distorted guitar? This question is simply trying to cement my point that many of the producers you hear, like Irv Gotti, have very capable engineers that have studied the art of recording for years, and have an education in the utilisation of their studio technology. These engineers rarely get credit for their work, but their knowledge helps the producer make a better track.

As a producer and arranger, I suppose, are you aware that most pop/hip-hop tracks have only 5-6 instruments max in their instrumental arrangement? The human brain can not decipher more instruments and the production would fall by the wayside in a muddy mix that is not palpable to a mainstream listener. This is further knowledge that can help you in getting that "properly" produced track.

I think that an understanding of the technical aspects of your hardware or software solutions, and why things process or make a certain outcome a specific, would help you gain a greater understanding in your journey of becoming a better producer.

There are many brilliant informative resources on what I mentioned. Go to Sound On Sound Magazine for some of their infomative resources. If that online publication contains is too much studio and technical jargon for you, other online publications, like Electronic Musician, or Mix magazine may help you. A query on such resources could be done on a search engine like Google.

The Relativity of Professionalism

Something that sounded "pro" in the eighties, may not sound so now, and vice versa (if time travel were existent ;) ) so it is possible to have a relativist standpoint on the idea of professionalism. As someone earlier stated, at its most cursory level, a professional beat is one that is sold and used by another. That is essentially what it is, but I think it is that coupled with my earlier comments of an understanding of how to employ the functionality of your studio at its most efficient level through technical understanding. This will enable you to know why your mix doesn't sound good, why you would cut bass rollof and use a highpass filter and low-pass filter on a vocal, or how you should arrange the instrumentals of your beat to help keep the listener more involved in it.

Just A Comment on Mastering

I've seen and heard many mixes mastered by individuals that were hired for "major label" mastering sessions for first-rate artists and who, to pay the rent, also do mastering jobs for individuals with enough money to pay their rates. In any case, mastering will help take care of sonic problems like phase cancellation, compression and excitation of certain frequencies. Following the old addage: "You can't polish a turd," many mixes that were brought to this mastering house, by people that had the money, but didn't have enough engineering or studio expertise, would realise that mastering does not do much if the initial mix and song don't make the cut. Think of mastering as a secondary process that can enhance well-engineered and produced songs, but can not fix a bad mix or production.

Good luck in what you are doing.

Sincerely,
God

G-MATRIIX

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I think that professionialism is reflected in the quality of your work. How well it is put together.

D

detox_one

I stronlgy agree with Gods word... Proffesionalism from an analytical standpoint. I too know some kats in the recording industry (spanish music though), but he too tells me that you have to know about frequencies, reverbs, compression. That your mix down prior to mastering, has to be a flawless cut in regards to your effex, e.q'ing, compression. In other words, the engineering has to be good. Then this is where the mastering comes in. But I think I am just repeating what god has said. I just wanted to add, that if you are recording digital, you loose alot of warmth if you do not use some sort of "TUBE" pre. Very essential in getting a warm sound. Presonus makes one for about $100. I use an Aphex 207, and I tell you, it is the best for bringing all the sound up front. Then for your final mix just add some of that EQ with some Sonic Maximization, or a.k.a. a Harmonizer. Aphex also makes one, its the Aphex 204. Aphex is the fisrt ones to make a Sonic Maximizer. www.aphex.com . I know this stuff is pretty hard to afford for most of us starving artists, but these are must haves if you do recordings. Main thing to remember though, IF YOU RECORD DIGITAL, YOU NEED A TUBE PRE AMP TO WARM UP THAT SOUND.

C

Crate Raider

no doubt...thats the one thing my resume is missing, engineering skills. the perfect beat in my eyes tho is how much overall appeal it has. for example, look at kanye west and just blaze. same basic style (most of the time) but blaze's ish is perfectly mastered and the sound quality is much better than kanye's, it actually makes him sound sloppy at times to me. but kanye has a few beats that just put blaze to shame. eg. Never Change by Jay, nobody can touch that, i heard the origional, dude disected the hell outta that david ruffin sample. trying not to go off topic, kanye has some beats that have a rougher sound but still blow away a good number of clean blaze ones. i guess what im trying to get at is the main factor behind a beats perfection should be the idea or creativity, as opposed to whos sicker with pro tools

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
yea im feelin you crate raider. the appeal has alot to do with it, but also the mastering and other things have alot to do with how the beat appeals to people. god pretty much said everything.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Going to mastering a "good" recorded and mixed project will only make it "great", but the mastering engineers can't make "crap" sound like a million bucks. Most of the time when the mastering engineers start working on a major label project, the album already has the professional sonic characteristics, levels are good, instruments are all in their own frequency range, balance, and a tight groove, etc whatever else a good sounding song should have, so this makes there job easier; but a really good mastering engineer will make something spectacular! Just like our knowledgable forum buddy "god" said you should get deep into understanding the studio technology and engineering standards that go about usually creating and recording "hit" professional sounding records. Don't fret because you don't understand all the technical aspects of audio engineering, mixing etc, let your ears be the best judge and know your equipment inside and out, at least this is what I do for myself.

P

pisnut

people spend as much as a 1/4 of their budget to master at places like silversound in ny. its waht makes a cd bump on cheap as s kmart speakers, or kicker square pro's. withought those guys it is real hard to get that clean sound.

members online