what do you look for when sampling?

mc_reni

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
hey, I was just wondering what all of you lot look for when sampling, when im sampling I usally look for 2 or 4 bar loops then work off that and add drums, sometime I might chop it up and re-arrange it. I've tried to take smaller less noticeable samples and flip them but it neva really works for me, also what do u look for when sampling drums, single hits or loops to chop?

If you have any exmamples of shit that you have flipped, It would be good to hear them.

ONE

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i don't really look for anything tbh i just put the record on and listen and then you should hear bits throughout the song that you can use, whether it be drums or straight loops or stuff you can chop !

C

Carpe Diem

Word!!! I just listen to a record and anybits that stand out i will sample and chop up later!!! But dont always go for the obvious!!!

mr mello

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I rarely ever find nice complete 4 bar loops, so i usually get bits and peices, or i sample a section that i can chop up.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I geneally don't have any idea what I'm going to sample, it just kind of sticks out. when I hear a passage that has good basic elements in it(chords, with keys or strings on top, and when they hold and change notes). Also I like to sample when its not to busy, so I can add to it. Sampling is an art. The more that you practice and have feel the better you will become at sampling.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i go for nice chords. really listen to the sounds trying to get the best one hits. i generally sample one hits

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I've found that alot of my beats are sampled from the end of an old song... That's where usually all the intruments come in and thats what grabs me... But, I've also noticed that i like sampling more mystical sounding shit... Like a nice String, piano, harp combination, u know? I always get a good outcome when i chop some shit like that up, always...

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
Obsidian Blue said:
Man, I just try to look for sounds that I like and empty drum sounds. What happens from there, I couldn't tell ya til' i'm finished...

word, i'de rather sample anything with no drum pattern. It allows me to be creative with the track. Thats why many of the tracks I sample are very classical in nature.

Royal

Tha RENEGADE
ill o.g.
What about Classical records?

When sampling classical records, do you usually look for loops or thing to chop out of them?

-Roy

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
I just try to listen as much as possible and if something grabs my attention i try to rework it in my mind they way i want it.

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i listen for stuff that i think would sound good in a song... and chop that shit...

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like sampling single drum hits. Sample, say, two kicks, a snare and a couple of hats and its virtually impossible to tell what record you sampled from in some cases. Just a few hits can keep you as busy as finding a perfect piano loop or guitar lick - messing with the hits after you can make them virtually unrecognisable whereas however much you chop up a loop you won't be able to use the loop for like 5 different beats.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yeah completely, man. I think its awful to only sample a particular music genre.....I mean, sampling the same kind of stuff will inevitably give you a recognisable sound [well at least between you own songs...] but it will most certainlly limit your creativity and diversity when beat making/producing.