What do you dig for? (Not sampling)

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
I had my first digging experience ever. Went London and hit up Berwick street, Hanway street and a few other places... and LOVED IT
i was digging mainly for sampling, but didnt stop me going through every funk, jazz, soul and hip hop record in every store. I could have easily spent hundreds, lol

instead, i got 10 records, for a grand total of £8 ($16) including a Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince 12" single, hahahahahaa
thanks for the tips though, helped alot

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I had my first digging experience ever. Went London and hit up Berwick street, Hanway street and a few other places... and LOVED IT
i was digging mainly for sampling, but didnt stop me going through every funk, jazz, soul and hip hop record in every store. I could have easily spent hundreds, lol

instead, i got 10 records, for a grand total of £8 ($16) including a Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince 12" single, hahahahahaa
thanks for the tips though, helped alot

amazing.

it'll get more expensive from here on in.. went to my favorite spot last week to pick up a blues record i was after, got that for £4; long story short - came out about £200 lighter, but with a big bag of rare funk and a load of studio one jamaican pressings..

You will make a lot of bad purchases at first but once you get to know what labels you like etc you'll 'waste' less cash.

Need to arm myself with one of those bad boys soonish http://www.vestax.com/v/products/active/active.html

if anyone knows any good vinyl stores in london for digging - hit me up; gonna go down there for a proper dig soon hopefully.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Hey savage, you can just send me those Studio One / Coxsone records, I don't mind taking them off your hands :)

savage_g

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
haha - no chancee. They're some real shitty pressings. Jamaican record plants didn't seem to to have the same quality control as US & UK - big heavy platters that seem to weigh as much as a plate; half of them with squint labels stamped onto them. Lovely warm bassy sound though.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Haha na, I'm just playing, I got about 20-30 studio 1 / coxsone recs... some are shitty some ok, but the music is golden!

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I wouldn't go thru Ebay to get records....you never see them til you get them, unless the seller is local......and they may be damaged on shipment..

Craigslist is good..since 99% of the time you're meeting up with the individual to make the transaction. There you can inspect the vinyl before you purchase it.

Rock music is def a must when buying vinyl...enhances the sound a million percent (if the vinyl is pristine). Some My Dying Bride is pretty cool...

November's Doom is something I'm looking for on vinyl...it's tough enough finding it in CD.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Just for pure listening pleasure?

I have been collecting Jamaican music for a little over 7 years now. It's an expensive hobby, as many original records have not been re-issued or re-pressed. The music is simply amazing, and I can see a lot of influence in hip-hop. I have been trying to limit my spending, but usually I spend around 50-100$ a month on Jamaican records. It's my addiction and I love it! How about you guys?

Wow yea you do really love it!, But thats kool, My uncles have a shyt load of reggae records. I gotta load up on those. I like soul records and I like alot of foreign shyt. I mess wit a lot of children records too.

Z

Zinmaru

I'm getting into progressive rock at the moment. It's great to listen too. Especially Pink Floyd, Wishbone Ash and more..

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
2433 is not small! Sure someone can have 150000 records, but what if you only like .5% of the records? I'd rather have 2433 records I love :)

members online