Vocal Levels

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Sup, I always have a problem with how loud my vocals are on my beats. They are usually too low or too loud. Can someone help me out with some rules to mixing vocals? Is there something I should go by everytime? Let me know what yall do to get the perfect mixing of vocals.

Thanks,
Bosta

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
First off, you should always have a preset for every time u record... Meaning everytime you record you record at the same settings.... What program are you using? After you record your vocals and get everything mixed you should eq them and add effects (compression, reverb,delay etc)... Most recording programs have these they are essential for a good sounding mix... Usually, when you compress your vocals, they will become louder and more accurate sounding... This is the key, then you mess around with the instrumental... Make sure the beat is sounding good but not too loud... The vocals should shine over the beat but not too much... Ya feel me??? Hope this answered what u needed to know...

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
i'ma post a vocal tutorial... with some programs n shiz...

SyN

SUICYCO MANIA
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
All about placement and eq's

I have done many big mixes out there and have had allot of experience with the dreaded vocal level problem. It is a good idea to mix your beat down first and get all the levels and pans set to how you like it. Keep in mind that too many or too much effects can mud out a mix really quick making it almost impossible to find a place to lay your vocals into. Generally you are gonna do your lead vocals panned up the middle so you should keep that space clear of instruments that are busy and/or may share like frequencies of the vocals. When eq'in your track, keep in mind the frequency range/pocket of the vocals and be sure that that area is not too cluttered. Vocals will generally sit around the 4k level, where the low end of the vocal(the body) generally will be at about 220 hz. once you get your track mixed to your liking and you have everything panned the way you would like to utilize the stereo surroundings... Drop in the lead vocal at this time and the lead vocal only(allot of times i will solo it first while i eq it and add SLIGHT compression (over compression is your biggest enemy) now drop the overall listening volume to a level to where you can just barely hear the beat... smaller speakers work great for this... the trick from there is to bring the vocal up until you can just barely hear it over the beat at this level... the way to check it would be to continue to slowly turn down the main level while listening to the beat and vocals... the beat should disapear leaving a slight trace of still being able to hear the vocals and then the vocals will dissapear.... now bring it back up to a slightly louder level and add in and blend any other vocal tracks you may have (ie. adlibs, doubles, hype)... panning can help you out again here in putting these into there own pockets... continue to check the level between the instrumental and the vocals using the trick from above... Good luck and hit me up on here if you have anymore questions

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
i was just lookin back on this thread - thats some good advice syn - imma be mixing my album tonight and tomorrow - anybody else with other tips and comments on getting a perfect mix with vocals ?....by the way im using cubase

E

Equality 7-2521

vocals should be the loudest thing in the mix
to check this, turn the volume of the song right down and then SLOWLY turn it up. vocals should be the first thing you hear but only just.

A

AdsumDrive

good ish Syn...

he's definitely right.. the best way to make the vocal cut thru your track is by EQ and compression. just make sure you don't over compress or it will sound real bad.
just remember, compression is going to make the quiet parts louder, but at the same time, smooth out the loud parts.. taking them down in level. the trick is to get these peaks under control without squashing your vocal and making is sound all weird. compression can be your biggest tool.. but can be the most wrongly used tool too... so just play around with it.. you'll know when you get it right .. and when you get it wrong LOL

good luck man.

members online

No members online now.