Tutorial: Kanye West Mickey Mouse effect

B

Burna

Seems like there's alot of questions in the production world as to how to get that Kanye West "Mickey Mouse" effect on vocals. So i deciced to try n match the effect, and did.. heres how:

If you've got Sound Forge, load in a song that you want to Mickey Mouse the vocals to. Go up to Effects and choose Pitch Bend. Then pitch the entire track up 6 semitones. This will give you a good useable sound. You can mess around with it, go up 5 or 7 semitones, preserve the original duration, etc. But it seems to me that up 6 semitones seems to get that sound pretty good. Then just cut and chop up the parts of the song you wanted to use. With this Mickey Mouse vocal stuff, it seems easier to build a song around those vocals rather than trying to fit those vocals into another song you've already done.

Anyway, that's a real quick overview of how that's done. I think this whole style of production has just about run it's course, but hey...someone here could prove me wrong.

DownSouth Entertainment,

Burna.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
instead of cutting the effected parts out the whole track you can just aswell select those parts and then add the effect

RAWKAS

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
You can also take that sample and use time stretch to snag the tempo of the original sample if you like that particular BPM while getting the hi pitched sound your looking for. I usually just find the tempo of the sample im using, up the pitch, than use my time stretch and get that song back to original tempo with the effect.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
that speedud up vocal shit is off the hook. The kanye west track that he produced for GRAVY called CANT NOBODY LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO" is the best example of how to mix the samples of vocals and make them melodic at the same time. If youve never heard that track, download it or cop it somehow, the beat is probobly the best I've heard from Kanye in a while

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Yeah i love that "cant nobody beat" i can just listen to that instrumental for hours.

cisco

ill o.g.
i use sound forge 6, choose effects>pitch>shift, set semitones parameter to 7, leave cents parameter at 0. set the accuracy to high. activate the apply an anti-alias option. activate the preserve duration option. choose speech 3 in the mode drop down list. click ok

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Elementree said:
that speedud up vocal shit is off the hook. The kanye west track that he produced for GRAVY called CANT NOBODY LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO" is the best example of how to mix the samples of vocals and make them melodic at the same time. If youve never heard that track, download it or cop it somehow, the beat is probobly the best I've heard from Kanye in a while

off-topic: that track is pre-college dropout...it ain't new, but i agree that it's a damn nice beat! :D

and i don't think it's a mystery how kanye pitch up his vocals...i think anyone with a record player has done it by mistake some time and played the record too fast.

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
RAWKAS said:
You can also take that sample and use time stretch to snag the tempo of the original sample if you like that particular BPM while getting the hi pitched sound your looking for. I usually just find the tempo of the sample im using, up the pitch, than use my time stretch and get that song back to original tempo with the effect.

That's exactly what I do. Pitch bend first, then Timestretch after to make sure all the slices are the same length.