Trying to setup a new hard drive, having issue

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
its a 160 gig western digital hard drive.

now when i go to install it it tells me need a windows xp service pack 1 disc to complete the installation since its over 137 gigs.... which i dont have. i try and download it but it doesnt seem to give me a file to download- it downloads it straight to my current hard drive, which does me no good. any ideas? anone got a disc that can send me a file i can burn to a disc?

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
wouldnt i still need the service pack to complete the installation? i'll try it and see what happens.

by the way, when do i get my whip back?

lowlow

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think it might be the 48-bit LBA, like class said it was one of the fixers in sp1 to enable it to see drives larger than 137. the 48-bit LBA only works if you are running Windows XP SP1 or later. that's why it asked for it. but if you download sp-1 and it still ain't work it may be that your system doesn't have a 48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOS. so you may need to find out if your motherboard, or PCI IDE controller supports 48-bit LBA.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
its a 160 gig western digital hard drive.

now when i go to install it it tells me need a windows xp service pack 1 disc to complete the installation since its over 137 gigs.... which i dont have. i try and download it but it doesnt seem to give me a file to download- it downloads it straight to my current hard drive, which does me no good. any ideas? anone got a disc that can send me a file i can burn to a disc?

like class mentioned yo, you definitely need to get that sp1 or sp2 which you can download from microsoft.com (provided you have a legit version of xp) how old is your pc because alot of older joints will only see a maximum of 137GBs. partitioning your drive into two drive's may also get you around that problem, eitherway get that service pack. Peace.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Crazy. I just had this exact problem last week when my hard drive crashed. I bought a 160GB hard drive too. I got xp from a friend though and did a clean install. Trying to find a working non-legit version of xp when you need it is damn near impossible.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
Crazy. I just had this exact problem last week when my hard drive crashed. I bought a 160GB hard drive too. I got xp from a friend though and did a clean install. Trying to find a working non-legit version of xp when you need it is damn near impossible.

how old is your pc, and if you already have xp you just need the latest sp2. peace.

B

Burna

Fade said:
What about installing the new drive as your secondary drive, then once it's setup, move it over to master?
exactly what i was about to say.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
trez260 said:
how old is your pc, and if you already have xp you just need the latest sp2. peace.

It's only 2 years old. My computer was bought online and came with windows xp installed on it. I never recieved an xp disc and I emailed them about it (like what am I suppose to do in emergency situations like THIS) but I never heard back from them. I actually emailed them 4 times total and never heard shit from them. So I had a legit version of xp but since i had no cd I had to use a cracked version.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
5th Sequence said:
It's only 2 years old. My computer was bought online and came with windows xp installed on it. I never recieved an xp disc and I emailed them about it (like what am I suppose to do in emergency situations like THIS) but I never heard back from them. I actually emailed them 4 times total and never heard shit from them. So I had a legit version of xp but since i had no cd I had to use a cracked version.

have you installed that sp2?

members online