Off Topic This Is Why Most Rappers Today Suck

rakim.jpg

They all sound the same.

Obviously the headline to this article is going to get a lot of people talking, but it had to be said. Most rappers today just suck. I can't believe that I'm actually writing about this topic because I never thought it would get to this point, but Rap music today has gone way off course that everyone needs to regroup, refocus, and start from scratch.

Here's why.

Rap Music Is All About Being Unique

One of the greatest things about Rap music and Hip Hop as a whole, is that anyone can be whatever they want to be. If you're a rapper, you can be funny, political, angry, philosophical, or even walk on stage wearing a clown outfit. Producers can take a beat wherever they want, turning it into a hard-hitting track or a mellow jazzy tune. The world is yours. (Nas, 1994).

However, many rappers today forgot about the unique aspect of Rap music and instead focus on other things such as sounding and looking like a popular rapper, and most of it is because of popularity and money.

It doesn't help that the record labels, music fans, and just the music industry overall are pushing a certain style of Rap upon everyone's ears (think Jay-Z and Kanye West), so of course any up and coming rapper will naturally end up sounding like someone else.

Do you remember a Rap group from the early 90's called the UMC's?

Their first album was really good, and their style was fun and uptempo. They wore colorful clothes and rapped about just regular things, and it was that type of style that made me go out and buy their cassette. Unfortunately, they didn't last. Around 1994 they resurfaced with a brand new look, dressed all in black with hoodies and saying they had a street sound.

That was the last anyone heard of the UMC's.

So what went wrong? They were no longer unique.

When they came out with their happy and fun style, it made them unique and they had a style that fit them. When they switched to a hardcore street style, it felt completely forced and they also looked and sounded like every other hardcore group at the time. Wu Tang, Group Home, and Gangstarr were some of the names that came to mind.

It's All About the Influence

Humans are easily influenced. I think it's actually ingrained in our DNA and we're suckers for a shiny new thing from a big advertisement with gold trim. This is why there have been so many times where I heard a rapper sound like someone else.

For example, back in the 90's I had a friend that was a rapper and loved to freestyle. One day we're freestyling and when it was his turn I had to stop him. He was wondering what was going on and I simply said to him, "you sound like DMX". This is because he was heavily into DMX and was so influenced by his style that he blended it into his own.

Now I completely understand if someone gets influenced enough that it becomes part of their everyday life, but it can't happen in Rap music. There are lots of rappers that sound like Jay Z or Kanye, and they most likely do it because they know that style is what is popular and what will sell. You can be inspired by another artist, but don't try to sound like them just because they're popular.

I'm sure there are record labels that have been searching for unsigned acts that sound like Jay Z, this way the label can have their own version of him at a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't be surprised.

What I Miss the Most in Rap

Years ago, Rap music had it all. There was the political rapper (Public Enemy), the funny rapper (Fresh Prince), the philosopher (KRS-One), with the list going on and on.

Why don't we have that today? The sad part about all of this is that I'm not just referring to the mainstream rappers, this mainly applies to the underground ones.

Underground rappers used to always have a certain style, one where they would brag non stop about dominating other emcees. But because of all the influence surrounding them 24/7, it's no longer about that. Yes, there are some underground rappers that are still true, but there are many others that are on the borderline of being underground and rapping about owning a Bentley. This is influence.

Rappers of all levels need to focus solely on themselves. It's the same with beatmaking. I'm always reviewing beats and the same thing applies there too - be unique. Some beatmakers will say that they make Trap beats or whatever, when in fact they should just be saying that they “make beats". That's it.

Don't label yourself because the minute you do, you're not being yourself, instead you're automatically putting yourself into a category and you'll sound like everyone else.

In Closing

Why do you think DMX was so popular? It's because he had a unique look, voice, and style.
Why do you think Rakim is always regarded as one of the best rappers ever? His voice always stood out from the rest.

I can't stress it enough about being yourself and having your own style. There are a million rappers out there today and they're all online trying to be recognized from the rest, so why would you want to sound like someone else? That makes no sense.

Just rap. Do what comes naturally and the rest will fall into place. I guarantee you that if you come out with a style that is different from the rest, you will definitely stand out. Trust me.

Last edited:

Walidank

Battle Points: 162
rakim.jpg

They all sound the same.

Obviously the headline to this article is going to get a lot of people talking, but it had to be said. Most rappers today just suck. I can't believe that I'm actually writing about this topic because I never thought it would get to this point, but Rap music today has gone way off course that everyone needs to regroup, refocus, and start from scratch.

Here's why.

Rap Music Is All About Being Unique

One of the greatest things about Rap music and Hip Hop as a whole, is that anyone can be whatever they want to be. If you're a rapper, you can be funny, political, angry, philosophical, or even walk on stage wearing a clown outfit. Producers can take a beat wherever they want, turning it into a hard-hitting track or a mellow jazzy tune. The world is yours. (Nas, 1994).

However, many rappers today forgot about the unique aspect of Rap music and instead focus on other things such as sounding and looking like a popular rapper, and most of it is because of popularity and money.

It doesn't help that the record labels, music fans, and just the music industry overall are pushing a certain style of Rap upon everyone's ears (think Jay-Z and Kanye West), so of course any up and coming rapper will naturally end up sounding like someone else.

Do you remember a Rap group from the early 90's called the UMC's?

Their first album was really good, and their style was fun and uptempo. They wore colorful clothes and rapped about just regular things, and it was that type of style that made me go out and buy their cassette. Unfortunately, they didn't last. Around 1994 they resurfaced with a brand new look, dressed all in black with hoodies and saying they had a street sound.

That was the last anyone heard of the UMC's.

So what went wrong? They were no longer unique.

When they came out with their happy and fun style, it made them unique and they had a style that fit them. When they switched to a hardcore street style, it felt completely forced and they also looked and sounded like every other hardcore group at the time. Wu Tang, Group Home, and Gangstarr were some of the names that came to mind.

It's All About the Influence

Humans are easily influenced. I think it's actually ingrained in our DNA and we're suckers for a shiny new thing from a big advertisement with gold trim. This is why there have been so many times where I heard a rapper sound like someone else.

For example, back in the 90's I had a friend that was a rapper and loved to freestyle. One day we're freestyling and when it was his turn I had to stop him. He was wondering what was going on and I simply said to him, "you sound like DMX". This is because he was heavily into DMX and was so influenced by his style that he blended it into his own.

Now I completely understand if someone gets influenced enough that it becomes part of their everyday life, but it can't happen in Rap music. There are lots of rappers that sound like Jay Z or Kanye, and they most likely do it because they know that style is what is popular and what will sell. You can be inspired by another artist, but don't try to sound like them just because they're popular.

I'm sure there are record labels that have been searching for unsigned acts that sound like Jay Z, this way the label can have their own version of him at a fraction of the cost. I wouldn't be surprised.

What I Miss the Most in Rap

Years ago, Rap music had it all. There was the political rapper (Public Enemy), the funny rapper (Fresh Prince), the philosopher (KRS-One), with the list going on and on.

Why don't we have that today? The sad part about all of this is that I'm not just referring to the mainstream rappers, this mainly applies to the underground ones.

Underground rappers used to always have a certain style, one where they would brag non stop about dominating other emcees. But because of all the influence surrounding them 24/7, it's no longer about that. Yes, there are some underground rappers that are still true, but there are many others that are on the borderline of being underground and rapping about owning a Bentley. This is influence.

Rappers of all levels need to focus solely on themselves. It's the same with beatmaking. I'm always reviewing beats and the same thing applies there too - be unique. Some beatmakers will say that they make Trap beats or whatever, when in fact they should just be saying that they âmake beats". That's it.

Don't label yourself because the minute you do, you're not being yourself, instead you're automatically putting yourself into a category and you'll sound like everyone else.

In Closing

Why do you think DMX was so popular? It's because he had a unique look, voice, and style.
Why do you think Rakim is always regarded as one of the best rappers ever? His voice always stood out from the rest.

I can't stress it enough about being yourself and having your own style. There are a million rappers out there today and they're all online trying to be recognized from the rest, so why would you want to sound like someone else? That makes no sense.

Just rap. Do what comes naturally and the rest will fall into place. I guarantee you that if you come out with a style that is different from the rest, you will definitely stand out. Trust me.

Facts
younge people today are more concerned with Chasing trends as opposed to the art of The Craft .
originality is lost and another thing that has caught on that is destroying a lot of rap is the punch and go rap style .
They are relying on it 100% for their performance it is hindering them from having the ability to Freestyle or adjust their flow to different pockets or different beats all together .
it also is destroying the relatability of call and respond .
people cannot interact with the flow that is Non-Stop.
there are no breath pockets in between
nor is there ever a Slowdown for someone to actually catch what there are saying in most cases.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
people cannot interact with the flow that is Non-Stop.
there are no breath pockets in between
nor is there ever a Slowdown for someone to actually catch what there are saying in most cases.
This is why im trying to record everything i do i one run. Like spit 16 thru and then do the next 16. Ppl are saying its dumb and maybe it is, but i feel like its more natural that way when you kinda can rap along because its not cut like you mentioned.

I know many rappers do cut after every 2/4 bars but it feels so unnatural to me.

This is why im trying to record everything i do i one run. Like spit 16 thru and then do the next 16. Ppl are saying its dumb and maybe it is, but i feel like its more natural that way when you kinda can rap along because its not cut like you mentioned.

I know many rappers do cut after every 2/4 bars but it feels so unnatural to me.
Nothing dumb about it at all, if you cant spit your 16 in one go, what happens when its time to perform live in front of a few thousand people? As a recording engineer I find really frustrating when it takes 10 takes for the first bar let alone 16.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Multi @DPrezd Beggar takes are for real artists. One takes come w/deliberate practice.

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Yes @DPrezd Beggar ”real” what every ILLien here is. #illisanofakeszone

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
@DPrezd Beggar
I'd say record in one go, so that you know you can spit it live. But then re-record parts to get them sounding sweet.

@2GooD Productions I really really surprised how many rappers come to the studio and they struggle to land their first bars. Like wtf... they're your own bars, you probably repeated them a million times already, how can you be struggling?
And then also, make sure you can spit your bars, fully rehearsed before turning up. (unless written in the studio).
I hate people going in the booth with a phone/lyric sheet. Like if you're having to read the words, can you really be performing it at your best/freest ability?

Battle Points: 2
Totally feel what you wrote in the first post @Fade

So hard to find iconic artists these past years, whether your looking for flow, voice, overall music quality. I mean some of the old rappers had it all at the same time, crazy… we’re lucky to have witnessed the hat to me most of the recent rappers seem to take the easy way and think only about business and social image. They want all the spotlight for themself cause it’s easier nowadays to release something on your own. In the past you most likely had to join forces.

What I miss the most also is hip hop groups or even supergroups. Everyone wanted to be the best and challenged the others, probably why level was so high.

Luckily hip hop is not dead and we can still find artist who keep the fyah burning All around the globe, they are just not at every street corner anymore.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
It's hard @K-Reez Da Chill because everyone and their Mama is so "me, me," me" that if a group was to happen you know someone's gonna feel slighted on some "the main emcee's gettin' all the shine" BS. This is also why R&B groups are non existent in today's climate.

I keep @Fade @DPrezd Beggar saying that Hip Hop oversold the image of a rapper and not the main factor which is time to develop artistry, that time is why labels had artist development deals which was why the youth aspect was stressed hence why at one point in Hip Hop if an artist was 25 they were deemed "old." This factors in to the idea of music as disposable.

DPrezd Beggar

Banned
Battle Points: 22
It's hard @K-Reez Da Chill because everyone and their Mama is so "me, me," me" that if a group was to happen you know someone's gonna feel slighted on some "the main emcee's gettin' all the shine" BS. This is also why R&B groups are non existent in today's climate.

I keep @Fade @DPrezd Beggar saying that Hip Hop oversold the image of a rapper and not the main factor which is time to develop artistry, that time is why labels had artist development deals which was why the youth aspect was stressed hence why at one point in Hip Hop if an artist was 25 they were deemed "old." This factors in to the idea of music as disposable.
It was not Hip Hop it was the industry, they just want to sell, they establish how music has to be and everything thats not following that route is "bad".

Fuck the industry, fuck development contracts, like imagine if cavemen were OGBamas, they d never smeared shit on walls..

So yeah, just do and develop while doing or just talk (not directed at you, generally speaking) and accomplish nothing or sit in a corner and be sad that you cant be like xyz.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @DPrezd Beggar only mentioned development contracts as that was how labels decided whether or not to invest in an artist plus labels used to give artists several chances over the course of their careers.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Totally feel what you wrote in the first post @Fade

So hard to find iconic artists these past years, whether your looking for flow, voice, overall music quality. I mean some of the old rappers had it all at the same time, crazy… we’re lucky to have witnessed the hat to me most of the recent rappers seem to take the easy way and think only about business and social image. They want all the spotlight for themself cause it’s easier nowadays to release something on your own. In the past you most likely had to join forces.

What I miss the most also is hip hop groups or even supergroups. Everyone wanted to be the best and challenged the others, probably why level was so high.

Luckily hip hop is not dead and we can still find artist who keep the fyah burning All around the globe, they are just not at every street corner anymore.

I said yeaaars ago that I could see like artist longevity disappearing. (as in you wont get these Dr Dres, Snoops, or whoever, existing for decades). Because of the ADHD nature of modern day music consumption.

However, I think you can get it now, due to the way social media is - if you have that strong presence. And it has to stay strong.

Also, with copycat culture and lack of interest in anything new, just copying what's already out, it'll only serve to keep those who are the copied afloat; i.e. if everyone's trying to copy Drake, it'll keep drake at the top and no one else copying will get there.
But you can also still remain quite replaceable with the modern ADHD culture.

JR_

I've found myself listening to rap now, not because of lyrics, but because of the beats behind them. Unless it's someone like kendrick or cole, I really don't pay much attention to the words themselves. If the lyrics aren't very creative but sound good with the beat, I like it. I guess I've learned to hear vocals as just another melodic instrument playing along to the sound.

I guess that's where the uniqueness of the beat makes a big difference. But even though there's been a lot of beat makers with unique sounds, the parts in those beats are pretty similar. What's unique about them is the different instrument samples and tones they use. The drums all take from the same basic patterns, but it's the character of their tone that makes it unique. That's why I worry less about lyrics and personalities being unique and more about the song as a whole sounding good together and creating a sick vibe.

Walidank

Battle Points: 162
I've found myself listening to rap now, not because of lyrics, but because of the beats behind them. Unless it's someone like kendrick or cole, I really don't pay much attention to the words themselves. If the lyrics aren't very creative but sound good with the beat, I like it. I guess I've learned to hear vocals as just another melodic instrument playing along to the sound.

I guess that's where the uniqueness of the beat makes a big difference. But even though there's been a lot of beat makers with unique sounds, the parts in those beats are pretty similar. What's unique about them is the different instrument samples and tones they use. The drums all take from the same basic patterns, but it's the character of their tone that makes it unique. That's why I worry less about lyrics and personalities being unique and more about the song as a whole sounding good together and creating a sick vibe.
That mindset is more like turning a blind eye to what's in front of you.
the lyrics actually has real life consequences.
Today more rappers die than ever before
behind what they say and do the way the think.
In the best conditions the art of it displayed
In worths conditions it toxic behaviors glorified
Devoid of the artistic characteristics and sometimes outright disrespectful to the music itself or the band
But that behavior is still encouraged because some people are afraid to be called a hater
for trying to look out for other people.

JR_

That mindset is more like turning a blind eye to what's in front of you.
the lyrics actually has real life consequences.
Today more rappers die than ever before
behind what they say and do the way the think.
In the best conditions the art of it displayed
In worths conditions it toxic behaviors glorified
Devoid of the artistic characteristics and sometimes outright disrespectful to the music itself or the band
But that behavior is still encouraged because some people are afraid to be called a hater
for trying to look out for other people.
What do you think of NWA or Wu-Tang?
These lyrics don't cause you to commit violence. I think these kinds of lyrics are a harsh reality of whats going on in these communities and people like "the real sh*t". If you wanna blame anybody blame humanity.

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.

ngl, I hardly listen to rap anymore.

Most of it is like;
- poor vocal performance
- wonky auto-tune
- saying things that don't actually make sense
- lacking originality in style/flow, etc (the music also follows this a lot too)

There's a few things that pop up now and then that I'm like 'oh this is cool'. But on a real I'm largely kind of just 'getting bored' of it. Particularly because of the above making up like 90+% of the listening experience today.

JR_

ngl, I hardly listen to rap anymore.

Most of it is like;
- poor vocal performance
- wonky auto-tune
- saying things that don't actually make sense
- lacking originality in style/flow, etc (the music also follows this a lot too)

There's a few things that pop up now and then that I'm like 'oh this is cool'. But on a real I'm largely kind of just 'getting bored' of it. Particularly because of the above making up like 90+% of the listening experience today.
Yeah I see what you mean. I've taken long breaks from hip hop and jammed to some funk, rock, metal. Mainly because I found myself bored with what was around. But I'm embarrassed to say I've kinda liked some of today's rappers.

I think people just can't get over that it's no longer about having thought provoking lyrics like Tupac or Rakim. You're right today's lyrics suck and are unoriginal. But when I'm vibing to music, my brain registers it as like some funky trombone jammin along and hyping me up.

I love jamming to metal, but you've gotta be honest, those lyrics are corny AF :ROFLMAO:
What genre of music truly has original lyrics?

members online