This could get ugly...

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
I haven't posted in a while, but I always come back to see what's been developing here. It seems like the quality of beats being posted here has gone downhill (no offense to the newbies). Maybe I've just gotten better, but I think the flood of producers has finally made it's way to IllMuzik. Now don't go gettin all pissed off and goin crazy over this. I'm just blazin after my long day of work and gotta voice my high opinion. I couldn't even listen to a lot of what I checked out. Making beats is an art. People need to spend more time perfecting their beat and stop pumpin out 5 "computerized" beats a day. Also the digging section drove me nuts! Quit askin for hints on finding records -- people who actually like to do that and love looking for that needle in a haystack go out and do just that -- they go buy records all the time and listen to them...they don't know what they might get. That's what makes it so exciting. It's insulting to me to hear questions like that. If you don't love it, quit doing it.

damn that felt good.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
I respect u said that casue its been on my mind also....
but u got to look at it like this Most of the cats who are hot on illmuizk dont really post tracks constantly. Most of them have already proven themselves on the forums or they are just busy making moves. Others just hang around for the communitity aspect and dont bother posting....

This leaves the beginners who do of the 90% of the track posting there are some dope cats who post hear and there but your right, there are alot of newbs in the showcase who post lackluster tracks in the and to add insult to injury those are the same ones who dont wanna leave feedback for other people.

With that being said there are some dope new cats, one that pops in my head is andreas...

Also there is ALOT of dope people on here, there are cats on here HEAVY in the industry too, they are just on the low.... Just click peoples links and u will be suprised what u will find....

class

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Both of you guys said it well. I agree with your Orpheus, but Classic's got a good point too. Yeah sometimes it seems like people are rushing their beats rather than taking their time, but the way I see it is, they'll learn and get better. Everyone goes through their own phases, and this is one of them.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think it's just a new generation of Illmuzik. A lot of the vets are industry ready, just biding time for the right opportunity.

I think the apocrypha story of Kanye cranking out 5 beats a day has got a lot of these heads thinking they should follow that route. The result is a lot of junk is getting thrown up.

I myself am an adamant digger. I don't post a lot of beats because I don't want someone hearing a sample etc. Also at the same time, heads will never have a fair understanding of what they need to improve on unless they post the beats.

I think it's your responsibility as a member of the Illmuzik community to let heads no their shit is lackluster, and even drop some knowledge on the kats that are showing the drive to improve without being held by the hand.

If this is just a hobby or something to make money off of by spending 150 on FL Studio then slanging beats for 500 a pop and heads are informed their joints aren't up to par, those heads will eventually be weeded out as they give up.

The katz with true love and a burning desire will listen and do what is neccessary to improve.

You have to practice to be dope at something. If you took one of your beats from when you first started and compared it to your shit now, you'd think your own stuff sounded lackluster by comparison. You had the drive to improve yourself. Some of these kats do as well, they just need the opportunity to prove it.

Illmuzik is different from everyother site because of the character of the community. Each forum is full with people of remarkable integrity. The members that really become a part of Illmuzik are the ones that are constantly working on their craft.

There is always going to be new members and they are going to use this site what it is for...taking Hip Hop production to the next level. If everybody's ish was banging from the beginning this site would be useless.

**** I'm not attacking you at all. I've gained so much valuable knowledge from this site. I came to this site without knowing the rudiment elements of making a beat. Now I am a producer.

In all communites a lot of knowledge becomes lost because the older generation tends to look down on the following one. If the way of life declines with the following generation its the veterans fault because they didn't teach the young.

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
let me chime in too... no doubt... all points are well written... but I remember when I was a newbie on here... and I also like many others, had that " I"M THE HOTTEST SH*T, THE INDUSTRY NEEDS ME, YALL BEATS CANT BE AS DOPE AS ME" and I too got skool'd " THNKS INTRCTY" ... so I dont expect every newbie to be on the same level....

here the quotable.... listen up and take note

"PRODUCERS ARE LIKE BOXERS, WHEN SOME BEGIN TO GET SERIOUS THEY JOIN A GYM (ILLMUZIK) THOSE PEOPLE HAVE BEEN AROUND TRAINING AND WORKING OUT TRYING TO DO IT ON THEIR OWN, AND HAVE COME TO THE GYM (ILLMUZIK) FOR GUIDENESS AND NOT REALLY TO LEARN HOW TO BOX, BUT TO LEARN HOW TO LEARN TO BOX THE "RIGHT" WAY. BUT OTHERS COME IN THE GYM (ILLMUZIK) WITH NO SKILLZ WANTING TO LEARN TO BOX AND NEED TO BE TRAINED FROM STEP ONE, EVEN THOU ONE HAS BEEN TRAINING AND "KNOWS HOW TO BOX" , NEVER COUNT OUT THE GUY/GAL WITH THE MOST HEART, THE HEART IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THE HUMAN BODY, YOU CAN BE BRAIN DEAD, BUT U CAN'T LIVE W/O A HEART "

and I too am guilty of not commenting in the showcase more often and posting beats... cuz I know I"m not doing anything in the industry as of yet... so I can post more beats... no excuses... as a VeT i'm going to do like ManDAmyth said and try to skool those newbies and help them on there way...

Craig Gantt

Microphone Violator
ill o.g.
You think so? I think alot of new styles have come through and theres a few producers that are VERY young and new to all this but I dont think its goin downhill, some beats just sound ametuer and some sound professional the vets and a couple of the new guys sound professional but does that mean that the amatuer guys suck or are they in the developmental phase we ALL went through? We all had to find our sounds to make noise ya know what I mean?

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
word, besides producing skillz also listening skillz of 'vets' have evolved and they are more critical then when they started out themself, so you got to keep things in perspective, when you are on top of the mountain the people below look small, you just didnt see the small motherfucker (that was you) walking up the mountain...

@freak & fade: i always though of illmuzik as a cemetary... not as a gym or a poutine bar..

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
a lot of times I use this as a lab to fine tune a cut....so what you hear is not perfection, no shame in my game as a producer...I have pristine, dope masterpieces as well as new creations that I put on display that might rough or cornerstones of some new joint to be worked.......now you could call that inconsistent...but even the ones that think their joints the hottest got wack shit they would just be too embarrased to let the world hear it....and a lot of folks when they first stepped in had no clues.....so with that said I dont ever stab at a producer if they dont have a big head or humble wit it, because I know too many that I done seen in 3D and heard and seen their total picture in their labs and trust me there are A LOT of VERY dope producers out....so its hard to sum up skillz on here beyond what you show and if you just show your best aint shit wrong with that....I am not really tryna impress people with my work on the internet though but some might disagree..but all in all you must learn something to enhance your skills and listening to other peoples styles does help.....you never ever heard me say I am the best producer or any of that bigheaded talk because I respect the craft first and I respect the art.......art has many facets.....abstract, modern etc......so something well constructed and composed I give props as well as some gritty grimey 2 bar loop that purists consider noise.....but real connoiseurs recognize that loop for the art and the effect on a club, a cipher or freestyle...and the most important part of hip hop music beyond the beat...THE EMCEE...LOL.....that my 2 cents and thats how I feel, I know music as a pure art....with no hip hop involved....but I know hip hop as a pure art with no constraints of real organized music that have rules of tuning, chord progression etc.............I do me and I do not care because music is so personal on what is good and whats not...but hip hop music has no limits....Newbs are testing their wings so I cant stab at em....not to say a newb is less there are plenty of dope producers i know that would be a newb by joining but they got mucho lava in the catalog for days...so for a newb that just starting in production as long as they improve upon what they showing....thats progression and that get nothing but props from me....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
orpheus said:
I haven't posted in a while, but I always come back to see what's been developing here. It seems like the quality of beats being posted here has gone downhill (no offense to the newbies). Maybe I've just gotten better, but I think the flood of producers has finally made it's way to IllMuzik. Now don't go gettin all pissed off and goin crazy over this. I'm just blazin after my long day of work and gotta voice my high opinion. I couldn't even listen to a lot of what I checked out. Making beats is an art. People need to spend more time perfecting their beat and stop pumpin out 5 "computerized" beats a day. Also the digging section drove me nuts! Quit askin for hints on finding records -- people who actually like to do that and love looking for that needle in a haystack go out and do just that -- they go buy records all the time and listen to them...they don't know what they might get. That's what makes it so exciting. It's insulting to me to hear questions like that. If you don't love it, quit doing it.

damn that felt good.

Give us some names Dr.Dre.

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
All I have to say is: Newbies, pros, intermediates, whomever; just keep making beatz. If you love it and have any talent whatsoever, it will shine through in the end. Just NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
word...illmuzik is priceless because people here want to progress and they want you to progress too. if that means telling you that your beat is ass crap, so be it-- i'd rather have people do that than lie to me and make me think i'm good enough to shop my beats...that hurts someone way more than telling them to make a better beat. thats why we need people like the illmuzik people to give honest and constructive feedback instead of just saying "your beat blows and so do you".

in fact...thanks to everyone for that because it is so valuable.

hah im in a good mood right now sorry...

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I'm looking at it this way. I'm glad that the socalled Newbies post in the showcase. That means that we've made an enviroment that everyone feels secure in. And after all, it's the point to elevate. If I can help someome with my point of view I'm happy if I can do so.

I don't concider myself a Newb even though I might be it to the Illmuzik forum. Ive been producing since 97 and just found my way to this site some months ago.
I just wish I found a site like this when I just got started, that'd make me progress much faster. So I say. Don't compare and lay verdict on those not "as good" as you.
It's all about elevateing. And if you can help somebody else elevate then it means that you yourself elevate as a person.

And to you Classic, thanks for those words. It means alot coming from you, who I think is one of the most impressing and gifted musicians I've encountered.

Peas and beans

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
andreas said:
I'm looking at it this way. I'm glad that the socalled Newbies post in the showcase. That means that we've made an enviroment that everyone feels secure in. And after all, it's the point to elevate. If I can help someome with my point of view I'm happy if I can do so.

I don't concider myself a Newb even though I might be it to the Illmuzik forum. Ive been producing since 97 and just found my way to this site some months ago.
I just wish I found a site like this when I just got started, that'd make me progress much faster. So I say. Don't compare and lay verdict on those not "as good" as you.
It's all about elevateing. And if you can help somebody else elevate then it means that you yourself elevate as a person.

And to you Classic, thanks for those words. It means alot coming from you, who I think is one of the most impressing and gifted musicians I've encountered.

Peas and beans

Absolutely well put. I agree 100%

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
i have to agree to an extent,,,,not newbies per say, but shit is stagnant. I havn't heard somethin in a minute that made me stop what i was doin. I think maybe we got alotta cats here just startin out and soe of the vets havnt been around,,,i dunno,,,but i feel what orpheus is sayin,,,

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
I'm definetly a newbie. I've only been making beats for only a few months. I'm still learning everyday. I can't say I'm the best or the worst but I would like to be the best. I think it's in human nature to strive to be the best. We all wanna win on something. I post some tracks every now and then. The reason why I stay in this forum is because I have a lot of respect for everybody here. Everybody here is helpful, respectful, and give their most honest opinions. I've been in through a lot of forums. Most of them be hating on some cats and start using metaphorical terms on them to the point where I don't know what they were talkin about. BIG UPS to everybody here!

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
That's what it's all about ;D

Freakwncy

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 17
I think it's safe to say " NO ONE IS PERFECT " .... And to say I like how we 're (the community) are here talking about how to step our "newbies" game up, to get em on the same levels as the VETS, that shows we take proud in our site and from the people that belong to it...

-PROPS TO EVERYONE TRYING TO IMPROVE THE GAME....

- YO ANDREAS, WHT UP YO.. WHAT'S UP W/ THE FK PROJECT.....

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
- YO ANDREAS, WHT UP YO.. WHAT'S UP W/ THE FK PROJECT.....

Sorry. I didn't understand that. Come again and without the shorts. :D

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
I see what everyone is sayin, and I'm not claiming to be the best to any extent. I just don't hear too many beats here anymore that make me question how he did it. I hear shit now and I'm like, "ok, that's a stock synth from frooty or reason or whatever". There are people here who's shit I like, but it just seems to me that those people are the ones who have been here a while. But there is some good newbie shit!!! But most of it sounds the same. And I'm workin at a recording studio in LA right now and so I think my ears have gotten spoiled by all the nice gear and lack of corny synths... More to say later i guess

members online