The weakest link...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm sure a lot of people on here have already realized this but its something that only really hit me in the last day or so after getting some new gear and I wanted to offer some advice...

As producers, a lot of us are always focused on the next BIG piece of gear...that triton, motif, whatever. That stuff is great and if you got the money for it and need it, get it. But I realized recently that while spending money on all that gear is good, make sure you have the other stuff you need to get its full potential. I was recently planning to buy 2 boards and get a pretty cheap audio interface to stay on budget, but I decided to get an Apogee Ensemble instead and only buy one board along with some top of the line headphones. I couldn't be happier with that decision. I had a friend come over with his mbox and the difference in sound quality between that thing and the ensemble is rediculous...the board sounds, literally, like its a different model or something. And with my new reference headphones, I can finally mix well even though my living situation doesn't let me use monitors.

I guess all I'm saying is next time you're thinking about getting that huge board or rack module and only having a tiny bit leftover to spend on stuff to support it and make the most out of it, maybe consider downsizing a bit. Stuff like premium audio interfaces, cables, RAM, and monitoring equipment can be just as important as the board itself..

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
High Quality Cables is a must.

So you sayin that apogee joint shitted on the mbox? 1 or 2?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
High Quality Cables is a must.

So you sayin that apogee joint shitted on the mbox? 1 or 2?

mbox 2 pro...apogee is apparently pretty famous in pro audio for their a/d converters and interfaces, and I see why after buying this thing. I don't want people to misinterpret the original post btw...i'm not saying you can't make great music with an mbox or something like that. the fireface 800 is about 700 cheaper than the ensemble on ebay and it isn't quite as good but its most definitely a pro audio interface, and motu and digi make some other good stuff as well. I was just trying to make the general point that I see a lot of producers out there with great equipment (like a fantom etc) but they have poor gear to support it...bad power, bad phones/monitors, bad audio interface, bad cables, etc. just saying sometimes its better to cop less gear and make everything high quality than two great pieces of gear (or one which completely busts your budget) and a bunch of weak pieces to support it.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
YEa i get what you was saying, just was curious bout that part cuz Im in the market for soundcards and interfaces

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Make sure u always have a hard drive just for back ups.
Im sure u dont wanna lose all ur work.
And get a good power extension cable, with a surge protector, and if u serious, an uninterrupted power supply.

members online