The future of hip hop is in your hands.

Was having a discussion with another long time member of illmuzik a couple of months ago, (Stresswon). He has become disillusioned with the artists these days, nobody supports each other any more.

This has serious repercussions for the future of the art-form, because if nobody is willing to help others to get ahead, how the fuck do they expect anybody to help them. The community aspect seems to have disappeared from hip hop. Its not just hip hop either, the whole music industry has become a shadow of its former self. Social media has become a cancer on society, we now have short term gratification, no long term artists, just flash in the pan one hit wonders, or pop acts used, abused and portrayed as true.

As somebody who has invested more than half of my life to making hip hop, I say to the younguns on the come up, of which I have heard some very very talented artists, you have some very strong competition, you have to look at a career in music realistically. You could have a number one hit, but because of the way royalties work, if you didnt write the music or the lyrics, then you will earn fuck all really. There really isnt a full time career in music that will pay all the bills unless you are very very lucky. Or very well connected.

This gets to the next point, connections and networking. The life of a producer can be a very lonely existence, which is at odds with the need to network and communicate ideas with others. Its through networking that every single one of my opportunites has happened. I remixed Dj JS'1s album many years back, I sent him a copy. He was so impressed he put me onto Sheisty Heights, I got a song placed on their album. Most of my work now, (dancehall and bashment) and mixing is a result of real world networking and using my connections from school.

I have made many mistakes over the years which have all ultimately contributed to me not being more successful, which I lay at my own feet, I dont blame anybody but myself, we all make those mistakes, and we should take them on the chin and learn from them.

This post is going a little off from what I wanted to say, but artists need to work together more, stop being so selfish, try to build a community in your area, find like minded individuals and work as a team, because between making songs and learning the craft, it doesnt leave much time to do everything else yourself. Be smart, work as a team, talk to people, get out of your bubble.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Spot on 100%.

I've felt this way for a very long time as well. If you think about it though, it's society as a whole that is like this, not just the music industry. People used to know their neighbors, now they don't even care who their neighbor is.

As for music, it's just a hustle all the time without caring for others. Think back to when there was a whole slew of artists getting together to work on music - Stop the Violence, We're All in the Same Gang, etc. None of that shit happens anymore.

yes, its definitely wider society. The internet and the modern way of life has killed everybodies attention spans. Even my own. I rarely can find the time to watch a movie between making music, programming and the full time job. Just doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day any more. I know politics is not for discussion, but our political system is being used to drive a wedge between us all, politics is becoming very polarized, very much so in the last 4 years, it went into overdrive. Fake news from the MSM has reached blatent propaganda levels. The world literally went insane with the election of trump, and it hasnt recovered. You have jihadis blowing shit up, killing thousands all over the world, yet MSM and social media demonizes those that point it out. The world has literally been turned on its head, and communism has become popular again. I cant believe how fucking ignorant millenials are to reality, history, biology or anything else for that matter. I always was a conspiracy guy, but nowadays its right in your face and undeniable. What happened man? The power of social engineering and mass mind control.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
That's the thing - it's everywhere in all aspects. The music industry is only a tiny fraction of all the bullshit going on, and most if is based on greed.

For example, years back record labels would like an artist's demo then sign them. They would record and release it. Now the labels want a certain sound, so they'll sign someone that has a certain look then mold them into what they want. Now we have artists with minimal talent and heavily over-processed mixes.

But there are also tons of artists not even signed with labels and are doing their own thing through various platforms.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Biggest thing missing in music @2GooD Productions and @Fade is the disappearance of artist development, which played a huge role in the potential long term investment of artists and their artistry.

Hustle nowadays is akin to spam every social media platform more so than the definition of do the right work required to master one’s particular craft.

No one is encouraged to build genuine relationships w/an interest in each other beyond what can the person someone is trying to network w/do for said person doing the networking.

@Fade I think the independent route is the best route in this age. Avoids being taken for a ride by the industry. Its harder work, but you could build a career, and not just be hot for 6 months, never to be heard from again.

@OGBama A team of people is always more efficient than a one man band. Being able to utilize peoples strengths, to compensate for others weaknesses, can spread the workload between production, promotions, event management, etc etc. Even on a professional level, where both parties in any contractual agreement seek something from the other party, which is laid out in the contract. But on a personal level, I agree, I have found most people to be all about themselves.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@Fade I consider myself independent only 'cause I never wanted to be signed.

@2GooD Productions I never had and don't have a one woman band approach. I'd like to have a team, albeit small.

Last edited:

members online