Tempo Genres

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
168 sounds real fast to me. Are you talking beats per minute? I'm thinking it ranges between 85-110. Anything above that would be crazy. House and Trance is around 150-160, more comerical dance is around 140, Jungle is around the upper 160's, and hardcore can get up to 180. Thats a very cursery break down of genres, but its a good representation of the spectrum of speeds

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Shwaz iz right....168 is like mad fast...lol......I think that might be faster than techno but i aint a techno head?......Shit above 120's fast.

80 - 120. - But Shwaz is on it again....u cant lump a genre into a bpm.

STEEZ

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Math teacher in the house... (lol)

168 bpm divided by 2 = 84.... which would be probably more like it... the thing is you can make a beat at 168, but with all of the instruments separated... (with more space between each hits, I dont know how to say it...)

Well if each bar is in 1/8...

Tha1AndOnlyDJT

DJ Will Kill
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 36
If im doing an original track i start out around 90bpm. if im working with samples it all depends on the sample of course.

E

Equality 7-2521

my slowest track to date is about 63bpm and my fastest is about 115bpm.

whatevers clever though.

ill o.g.
Shwaz said:
and hardcore can get up to 180.

can get up to?!? it gets beyond that man, listen to some old school terror, in fact, i have a hardcore track online which is above 200 bpm :D. blazin' hehehe

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm sorry but this all sounds like "fuzzy math" if it's hip hop and its at 200 bpm then its some weird setting where it's really mathematicaly 100 BPM... hip hop is average is between 90 to 110... plain and simple

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
TheSpark... said:
I'm sorry but this all sounds like "fuzzy math" if it's hip hop and its at 200 bpm then its some weird setting where it's really mathematicaly 100 BPM... hip hop is average is between 90 to 110... plain and simple

yea thats right its just sum1 people like to program their tracks at double speed and then they have more room to be creative especially with drums etc you can have double time hats etc much easier !

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I think if you really had to narrow it down, a stereotypical hiphop track is 93bpm...lol, I have actually heards so many tracks at just over 90bpm, but its not really fair to say a genre has a certain range of tempos, expecially in hiphop where a lot of the time it depends on the sample.

I like to vary the tempos I'm working with quite a lot, but I reckon for the most part I'll work at around 70-80bpm which is pretty slow...but really syncopated drum patterns can sound really nice and 'floaty' whereas at higher bpms a more syncopated drum pattern cound sound a little too hectic for anything other than a break, and a lot of the time I aim for atmospheric or subtle/mellow sounding stuff so it wouldn't really work for me.

Alot of old school hiphop is faster than most stuff now, possibly because more artists had breakers and body poppers in mind....I'm not sure to be honest

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
I've used a 130 bpm but sounds like 90 bpm because the measurement wasn't 4/4th... all relative hehe

3/4 at 120 bpm would sound like 95 bpm 4/4 (approx). me i use usually from 92-97. but i get as slow as mid 80s and get as fast as just over 100. mave gone below 80 and up to about 110 bpm but it is more for an experiment

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
i ussually work in the regions 140 till 220

SpinDoctor

The Lovable Rogue
ill o.g.
2_nice said:
140 to 220 damn are you making techno or house man ?

He must be seperating the hits more than you do because if you half them tempos they are 70 to 110, which is around the right tempo for hip hop.