Switching Styles

New Dynasty

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I want to know how do we, as composers, change the overall sound/style of our music. For example, If I've been making R n' B to soft hip-hop sounding songs, what would I have to change as far as tempo, sounds, rythms etc, etc... to get to a "club banger" sound or a real good hardcore gangsta sound? Oh, and the same thing with regional sounds, from South to East, West to Midwest.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
I'd say to try to change the sounds you use, the tempo, everything... so it fits what you wanna do. At 1st, it's gonna sound like a mix of what you did and what you wanna do (which is good too) and, after a while, you'll get there.

Also, I like to put myself in a certain mood, depending of the kind of beat I'm making... when I'm hype, my beat is gonna be hype, when I'm chilling, same thing...

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
It has a lot to do with the sounds you use.

Like southern stuff has a lot of synths and 808 drums, with snare/kick/tom rolls and fast hi hats.

If you want that hard core NY style you need to use a simple pattern IMO. like K,S,KK,S. Nice and dirty samples.

I think the most important thing about makeing club joints is the kick and bass, cos when your wildin out in the club you can feall vibrations from the lows. And keep it like 90 - 100 BPM.

Anyway thats my thoughts ... good luck with switching styles.

(K=Kick,S=Snare)

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
Ok, like NobleWordz said, Southern beats have a lot of hihats, particularily triples. They also use a lot of crazy synths and definetly heavy on the bass. To make a West Coast beat they have a lot of simple piano chord leads and funk wah guitar riffs. They also use a lot of 808s. To make a club banger you wanna make your drums bump but the biggest thing is: don't force yourself to do it. You gotta become inspired by whatever, and just go with that. Always be thinking "is this gonna be something that people will wanna dance to?". probably the best thing is to just listen to the hot club hits of today and incorporate some of it into your music and be inspired by that. Well, that's all the advice I can give. Always keep this in mind though - To make a Pete Rock beat, you have to be Pete Rock.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah listen to the shit that fits the genre of what you are attempting to create....and don't force anything, if it ain't there, it ain't there! i just switch styles within time and whenever i get new sounds, and when i pass thru different moods... to get that club banger sound listen to whats in the clubs these days... get the thump and bang from the 808s... layer them and shit... and usually its accompanied by simple synth patterns and thats it... put the fast hi hats/tom rolls/snare rolls/drum rolls in, add ya swagger in and it should come out good

Phi'Zik

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MastaMariucci said:
Always keep this in mind though - To make a Pete Rock beat, you have to be Pete Rock.

you're so right.

i think it's impossible to try to get a sound like you listen to the radio, you have to find yourself your sound, and put it on radio (if you're talent and lucky)

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
I would search for samples that would fit the mood of whatever style I am trying to compose...like if I wanted the underground east coast feel I would probably sample a dirty piano riff and make the drums stand out more punchy instead of having a deep bassy 808 for example. But you just have to practice and stay elevatin I guess.

alkota

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
If im doing original tracks ill hit some keys and go do something to get some inspiration, ill listen some some hard records if I wanna make some real edgy beat... the tempo usually just pops out for me. I also listen to my samples and have them drive the sounds, tempo, etc.

Ive never really genre'fied my beats... east, west, south... I kinda just do whatever and it comes out. Youll lock yourself in a bad habit if you are creating tracks that are molded to regional standards. Ive done tracks with some real east coast flavor that have southern influenced drums... but again, just make the track w/o mimicking something else.

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
skidflow said:
I would search for samples that would fit the mood of whatever style I am trying to compose...like if I wanted the underground east coast feel I would probably sample a dirty piano riff and make the drums stand out more punchy instead of having a deep bassy 808 for example. But you just have to practice and stay elevatin I guess.

I agree with that. You gotta have the right samples for sure. NY State of Mind is a perfect example of punchy drums and a dirty piano sample. don't limit your samples though, based on what style you're tryin to do. your own ear is always the best judge of what sounds good and your best friend.

Hitz_Production

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
what i do is make a beat, and on the next track, make the exact opposite to the one u first made. for example. soft rnb on time, next gritty street banger, then smooth conscience/chill track, then crunk joints...feel me? also go to www.hiphopgame.com and listen to the audio selections and get yourself familiar on how other styles are formed..

members online