:) discrete analog semi-modular desktops

se-boomstar-4075.jpg

4 models based on filter

-4075-classic Arp 2600
-5089-classic Moog 24db ladder
-SEM-classic Oberheim 12db
-303-classic Roland TB

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products/synths/boomstar/

Obviously, clever marketing here since they dont differ as much to the atc series where these 4 filterstypes were usable with one atc. Also, the atc has a digital envelope stage and these are discrete analog ones. Streetprice seems to be $799

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
lol well i would, i have the atc-1 with 303 and sem filter so i'd expand it with the 2600 boomstar. I never owned the taurus I or II but i have played them and even it being a real signature sound, SE got the semi-mod option and a load more parameters(feedback overdrive!). Both are phat monos but in my experience with either brand, moog is deep and polished but moog doesnt rip it like the se with a 303 filter. The atc burnes your inputs lol, -30pads are a must but my moog prodigy never got hot.

Anyway, i havent heard either 2 aside from vids, my recommendation is most probably correct when i state that the moog is good for pop stuff (but not limtited too) and the boomstars are instant acid machines.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
i have the first model atc-1 and it's different from what it should emulate, the moog isnt the best clone but the sem and 303 come really close. The thing that prevents it from being a close copy is the shitload of parameters the original sem and 303 didnt have. That being said, its discrete voicing is loud as fuck, -30 pads on is no joke. Bass sounds are thick, gritty, snappy and SE has a $200 dollar mod to replace the vca with a moog vca. Thats also the thing about SE, they got a good history for modding gear, which i didnt do because i paid the full price when they came out. You can get one these days for a lot less so modding would be a better option these days.

I'd pick the nova edition, arp like sine vco and fuzz overdrive. I think the main difference (aside from vco count) to the atc is that the SE series always sounded a bit more polished, out of the box they dont have the snappy envelopes like atc. The SE also doesnt have cross modulation which imo, offers more potential sound scaping.

members online