So "Blurred Lines" was a ripoff

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Anyone with a decent pair of ears could tell from day one that they sampled Marvin Gaye. It's just crazy that big artists tried to get away with it LOL.

The thing is, how will this affect other artists and for producers/beatmakers trying to sample?

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Nothing will change... most hip-hop guys that sample are well under the radar to even be noticed these days. Also it's because it's Marvin Gaye, so that's a BIG deal news wise. I'm sure there's lots of legal dealings that go on because of samples, you just don't hear about it.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
True. Marvin Gaye plus Robin Thicke and Pharell = lots of $$$ so of course it had to become a legal issue. But if some guy puts out a beat mixtape on Bandcamp, no one will care. But actually it would be hilarious if someone tried to sue a small artist LOL.

Bruce Lee Beatz

xBrvcexLeex
Battle Points: 36
Actually to me it doesn't matter if this was a ripoff or whatever (to be honest.. hearing the two songs right after another I have to say they weren't really crative lol), but I don't really know why they tried to get away with it just like that ..

The only way I could think of really is that they weren't able to clear sample, so they thought 'fuck it let's release it anyways' I mean they made enough money with that song now to pay any fee...

Craftmaster

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 1
I was not sampled though...Thats what I dont get. They didnt chop or loop the master recording. Sure its a similar rhythm, sure its a similar bass walkdown but thats all it is. Its not like it was this complex piece of music that was looped up, boosted at 60hz and sun over. Pharell banged it out and it sounds similar because that was probably one of his musical inspirations. The fact that a group can take away money from an original composition that is nothing more than drums and a bass walkdown on the grounds that it sounds alot like another song does not bode well for sampling at all.

Durandal

^^^ What he said right there. Original composition. no sampling not even interpolation. crazy to me they got called for it.

Yeah, in the past you would think having to pay for sample use would mean that you actually sampled from the original recording. What if I did a record from a Michael Jackson song from the midi file, but changed the sounds of the instruments? Would that be sampling also?