Sample Drums

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know you can't completely remove drums from a sample, but I just want to know how to bring them down so I can just have my drums over the sample.

Sometimes I listen to an original sample and you can't help but to hear the drums then I'll go and listen to the instrumental and you can hear the drums but barely.

Example:http://www.ultragraphik.com/blog/index.php?q=j+dilla+signs

i dont sample much but i'd just try using a high pass filter on your mpc or whatever else you use...i would imagine getting rid of the snare would be harder though, because you can't just cut out the low end for that. maybe use a highpass to get rid of the kicks, and use a notch filter to reduce the snare.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
a hi pass filter would work to a certain extent but to really fine tune it use a good 10 band eq and adjust the ranges between mid low to low. The Eq will definitely do a better job as far as bringing down the frequency that the snare is in because it won't be found in the lows.

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
You need to do some subtractive EQ. Basically you listen for where the drums are and you cut slight notches in the frequency's were they sit. A parametric will work best.

If all else fails, chop on beat and mask the drums with your own.

NW

Blue77

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
If you use an MPC ,then just snip the snares out ,then use a little attack and decay at the start and end points.I know you can do that with software though.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
Parametric EQ might help but it's not what you should be looking for. It would be a better idea to place your own drum hits on top of the original ones. You can do it in 3 different ways : 1/ in your sound editor place the hits on top of the kicks and snares or 2/ with your drum machine, create a pattern with a similar swing as the original so the old and new hits blend perfectly or 3/ chop the sample in a way the old and new hits are juxtaposed.

members online