Roland RX-70 for making beats?

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up fam,
check it, i been looking for a keyboard/workstation unit to make beats on. I just came across Roland RX-70 and I am loving the sound and all them features. I am thinking of making a more soft hip hop beats and rnb beats. Do u think this is an appropriate tool? Here's the demo:
http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/Flash/rs70/index.html

I know the Fantom series are killa but i aint got that much money.

Holla back

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok great man I can speak on this, I had the RS-50 right before copping the Fantom S...the only difference between the 70(the 50 doesnt have one and I used logic to sequence) and the RS-50 is mainly the sequencer, all of the soundsets are about 99% identical I believe, I was gonna get it but at that time my dough was short...so i settled for it, I made some tracks with it, its good for what you want to use it for and the built in sequencer is tight, but if I were you and you were gonna spend the 900 or so dollars, wait one more paycheck and get the Fantom, some people outgrow a keyboard so get one with a good sampling engine...but if this is what you want you can't go wrong I don't think....

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
what up big d,
thank u for the review man. my paper is short n thats why i cant cop the fantom. i am also looking at korg triton le. What u think of that one compared to the rs-70?

Thank u

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
the triton le aint bad, it just depedns on what you are trying to make with it. its at a more reasonable price nowadays as well.

so, what type of sounds? you gonna use a lot of synths? or more "organic" sounds? what type of strings yuo lookin for? orchestral? organs, rhodes? guitars? you into programming patches?

how will you be sequencing?

basically, tell me what you want sound wise and i will point you to the best possible board for what you do. they all have strengths and weaknesses. just like big d, i have ran the gauntlet of boards (although he has used more, lol) and so i am fairly knowledgeable in that department.

brooklynstyle

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What up cold truth,
Thanks for your help man. Appreciated.
Check it, as far as sounds are concerned I definitely wanna have more orchestral sounds: grand piano, stirngs, guitars. I wanna be able to set up basslines and drumlines too. So I will need deep bass and some R&B drums. I am basically looking for something that can reporduce that Alicia Keys sound. I'll be doing mainly R&B and R&B/hip hop (the Ja Rule type, LL Cool J type). Pretty much what I wanna do with this board is R&B/Hip Hop crossover. No hardcore rap shit, I'ma do this on the MPC. Basically what I'm looking for smooth R&B/Hip Hop/Soul sound.
I am definitely all about patches. This is basically how I wanna do the production on this board: I compose my patterns (drum pattern, bassline pattern, piano pattern, etc.) and then I sequence these patterns, so the whole piece of music has some distinctive structure - yamean, intro, verse, hook, outro.
From what I've read RS-70 and Triton Le come with sequencers. RS-70 even comes with software. I dont know about the Le. I don't know what would be the best way to transfer these tracks from the keyboard to the PC. I don't know if it is possible to get the tracks from board to some software so I can process every track separately in Sonar or some other software.
This is what I wanna do basically. I never really fucked with boards so I don't know how the whole process works but i wanna find out,

Holla back with some advice.
Thank you