Reason, Redrum, & Pattern Changing

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Im new to reason and I want to know how to switch b/w different patterns in my beats. Ive been a fl user for about 4 years and im trying to learn more about reason......

TIA
Bosta

BeAtArKiTeK

"Only God Can Judge Me"
ill o.g.
If you mean on the redrum then you have to make sure your redrums is selected and then you record it .... For example say u got a pattern on sequence 1 and 2 on the redrum, ur on ur first one , so u hit record and when u want the 2nd one to hit u press # 2 on the redrum while recording.

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If you are talking about switching between patterns in general, the number pad to the left of the RedDrum sequencer is where the patterns are stored. Each number is capable of holding a pattern. Click on the number 1, create a pattern. Then click on number 2 create another pattern. Click run. Now if you click on the number 1 it plays the first pattern you created and if you click on 2 it creates the second pattern.

If you are talking about getting those patterns into the Reason Sequencer at the bottom so the pattern changes while your track plays, thats diffrent. In the Reason sequencer there are two guides, when says L and one says R. Put the L where you want the first pattern to start and the R where you want the first pattern to end. At the left of the sequencer are all of the tracks/instruments you are using, click on the RedDrum Go back up to the actual RedDrum. Have the first pattern selected. Then Right click on the reddrum and halfway down the pop up menu it should say copy pattern to track. This will copy the first pattern between the L and the R. Now repeat for the next pattern. Hope this helps

-Shwaz

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
K basically move your L and R 4 bars apart then add pattern 1 then move your L and R to another empty 4 bars and add pattern 2 then move your L and R to another empty 4 bars and add pattern 3

then mix and match as u like by click on 1 bar of any of the 3 patterns and copying and pasting them in the sequencer by holding ctrl and dragging it

Attachments

• All 3 patterns put into a 4 bar loop.JPG
    All 3 patterns put into a 4 bar loop.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 181

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
iight thanks alot fellas, preciate that - ay one more question.....how do u make a sample in redrum "cut itself" when the same one plays again.......like when im using a bass kick and i dont want them to overlap..

TIA

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Bosta said:
iight thanks alot fellas, preciate that - ay one more question.....how do u make a sample in redrum "cut itself" when the same one plays again.......like when im using a bass kick and i dont want them to overlap..

TIA

I'm not sure what your talking about. What do you mean by "cut itself". Also, You gotta specify if your talking about the RedDrum or the Reason Sequencer. If you are saying that when you import the beat into the sequencer your getting a double trigger on the kick drum, then it could be two problems. The first is that you are not locked to bar mode. At the top of the sequencer is an icon of a magnet, and there is a dropdown menu next to it. Set that to bar. That way your L and R cursors automatically snap to a full bar, so you don't trigger the loop to early and have loops overlapping. The other problem could be how your beat is set up. Like you have a another drum triggering on a step that you don't want it to. Or you have the fist and last step of the sequence triggering a drum so that when it loops it sounds like two consecutive hits.

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
sorry i tried explaining best i could - ex: i have this deep bass that i loaded into redrum but when i have a note playing right after each other it distorts the sound - i just want the 2nd note to cut off the previous one as soon as it plays........like how u would change the polyphony setting on malstrom or somethin to do that - hope im clear

TIA

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
im not sure if i no wat u mean but why dont u just load the bass in the n19 or the nnxt ?

E

Equality 7-2521

man its so much better to just write in each individual drum hit in the sequencer instead of changing redrum patterns. makes it was easier to write automation for the drum hits too.

L

logik

heyy

about ur "cut itself" issue.. i dunno but i think u may be talking about jus nakin the bass note shorter... just adjust the length knob on the note u want... jus make it shorter and u wont have it over lapping
:)
gd lk

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
thanks yall for the help, i just figureed there was some real simple way to do it in redrum since i didnt knnow much about reason

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Equality 7-2521 said:
man its so much better to just write in each individual drum hit in the sequencer instead of changing redrum patterns. makes it was easier to write automation for the drum hits too.

no its so much better to just bang it out wit a midi controler. lol

tricky spinz

Dead Man Walkin
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 12
bosta, i understand what you are saying about cutting itself. there is a little switch that you have to flip on the redrum thing. for that drum, you need to flip that switch from the triangle shaped thing to the square shaped thing. then you can plug the note into the sequencer (which is a lot easier) and specify how long you want the note.

Bosta

Hi Joka
ill o.g.
tricky spinz said:
bosta, i understand what you are saying about cutting itself. there is a little switch that you have to flip on the redrum thing. for that drum, you need to flip that switch from the triangle shaped thing to the square shaped thing. then you can plug the note into the sequencer (which is a lot easier) and specify how long you want the note.

preciate that dog..... i knew somebody knew what i was talking about

members online