Rap VS. hip hop

anonymous_103

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok lets start the thread.

personally, im on the fence. heres my arguments

my only argument for "there is a difference" is this:
since back in the day, any hiphop\rap music that was commercial and on the radio was labeled as "rap music". thats what the section was called in all the music stores, that was the category for all the music awards, and thats what a majority of the commercial cats called it. the only ones that were saying hip hop were the raw hip hop heads like tribe, dela, bdp, krs, das, etc. but since around the late 90's all the industry cats started calling it hip hop. now im like huh? it just sounded weird to me to hear mase say the word hiphop. now everyone says it. it just didnt feel right.

my argument for "there is no difference" is:
i dont give a f@#$ anymore. i use to always say there is a difference, but now im like f@#$ it.
i dont wanna argue. "hip hop" cats say rhymes over beats, "rap" cats say rhymes over beats. i just think that some people tend to get way to caught up in the politics of the culture that they get things twisted. not to downtalk the culture. i love and respect it and i know my history. think about this. what do bboys get down to? break beats. since bboying is an element, wouldnt breakbeats be considered listening to hiphop? i would say yes. so why wouldnt a dude ganster rappin over a beat not be considered hip hop? he's still rappin right?

thats my opinion

RIP Dilla

Ado

The Rappin' Dead
ill o.g.
I think that there is a difference.

My Opinion:
Hip Hop=Soul, body, vibing with the music, talent, and skill

Rap=Money, fans, talent, skill, GIMICS, and the times

So all in all, you could say that rap goes through phases but hip hop is consistant (forever).

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
is 'hip hop' not the definition for the whole culture with beats, rhyming, b-boying, graffing etc all included?

and 'rap' is the actual spitting of lyrics, the rapping. therefore 'rap music' is simply the beat and emcee.

Lex

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^^That's pretty much my view. Hiphop is a culture or movement with 4 elements, hiphop music being the music which originally developed and flourished alongside the other elements. Now, that's not necessarily the case, especially in pretty much all commercial hiphop. The music doesn't reflect all the elements in the way that hiphop 'back in the day' might have done, and to be honest I don't think it has to at this point - although in more underground circles elements still seem to support or acknowledge eachother.

Rapping is the act of well, rapping - syncopated poetry to a beat.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
hip hop is something you live, yes it is actually MC, DJ, Breakdancing, graffiti, would be the definition. but those who have been around hip hop since early 90's would say that this is the real hip hop. Which in my opinion is almost true, there are still tons of motha fuckas still making hip hop music in my opinion. Its that raw gutta shit, with the beats being sample and MCs rapping about meaningful things. Rap on the other hand, in my opinion is the some of the shit you hear today, with the wack as beats and MC rapping about cars, and money. I try to put everything in these two categorizes. This is just my opinion of hip hop and rap. When i hear a hip hop track, i usually refer to the MC as "rhyming" not "rapping"

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I spoke enough on this in that "stupidest shit ever said" thread.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^^^yeh me too but I'll just reiterate that I tell "non headz" that I produce hiphop
because "rap" is more associated with guns drugs and hos.
NOW I have no idea how that started but white and black folks who arent into this seem more threatened by the word rap.
I agree with what you guys said,of course hiphop is the entire culture and rap is what you do on the mic, scratching is what you do on the tables,and diggin is what you do first in the crates.
Our catch phrase is "Taking back hiphop".
I assume we are taking it back from the rap moguls ;)
I remember when any rap record you ever wanted were all in the R&B section, now you go in the store and it says "RAP" and takes up 2 isles.
I think maybe when I think about the connatation of the words,
it seems as all the big record excecs who dont care about the culture just the bottom line(rightly so) want c"RAP" acts and thus produce alot of c"RAP" records for public consumption.
Hiphop is therefore to me a throw back to the good ol days with the graf, the breakin and the flowin ,dj'n and styles and slang.
By the way I met Xtasy from Whodini back in Dec and got to thank him for all their infulence on the music.We hung out the whole day.It was really cool.

members online