Question about compression...

Hed

ill o.g.
Well I'm a newbie about this and as far as I can, I'm reading lots of "articles-reviews" about meaning and use of compression, EQ, filters and stuff like that...well, there's lotta tricks and notions going down...btw, I usually make beats (I mean mostly drums) using sampled drum loops and samples played through MIDI tracks or "samples cut&paste" through Pro Tools LE, well I'm wondering do you think is it suggested applying compression also to loops??
I read about one-shot sample compression, but nothing about loops...then I also tought: if I actually sample a loop from a record (that it's supposed to have been compressed and EQed...), why should I re-compress it?!
I don't know if you guys understand what I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Hed

Hypnotist

Ear Manipulator
ill o.g.
I wouldn't compress the loop itself. If you're recording it in somewhere, just make sure it's as "hot" as it can be without clipping. But if it has a giant dynamic range, where levels pop up out of nowhere, then maybe compress it if you're recording it. (Like a movie sample, something from a video...)

But if it was mixed, you don't need to compress it. Loops: don't compress em. Samples: don't compress em.

But say, at the end, when you're beat is done, you may put a limiter, compressor, finalizer or ultramaximizer on the 2-mix (stereo bus) to get it the loudest, as radio got us competing for volume nowadays.

sketch

ill o.g.
i agree it has already been compressed and eq'd more than likely, once the beat is a done deal it wouldn't hurt to throw a little compression and eq on it just to get the sound your looking for but be very careful that's alot of sounds at the same time!

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
It really depends on the sound you're going for. I compress the sample a lot of the times to get a thick healthy punch out of it. Compression to samples and drum loops can either give you punchyness or suck life out of it, its about messing with the settings until it sounds right (or if it sounds worse then definitely take it off). I've had nothing but really positive results from compressing samples though.

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
you need to practice and learn how to use it. because every situation is different. there is no clear cut answer
people who know how to use compressors properly can listen or look at the waveform on the screen and say yea i need to do such n such to accomplished this certain thing/sound.

u may sample a loop and yea it may be compressed. but it may not be either. especially if its old. the way compressors have been used over the years has changed. so basically....

learn how to use it. people kinda throw around the terms compression and eq and it seems not alot really understand it and when you dont fully understand it. these amazing tools do more harm than good

and just in case, this was not a shot at anybody. just a general statement on something i have noticed.