Polow Da Don using stock GarageBand loops?

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
http://buzzcuts.uproxx.com/hip-hop/videos/behind-the-scenes/564

The video was originally on youtube but it has been removed.

Anyway am very suspicious about this video. I am still on the sideline about this, because anyone can easily recreate the riffs from Usher's single and then import them into GarageBand and make a video saying they are stock loops.

To the main point, it's amusing how people reacted. The general mood is that Polow did something wrong lol and honestly if it is true about the loops, he hasn't. They are royalty free after all lol

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I peep'd that out yesterday! This is a prime example of "when and if" you make it, how the haters and detractors will come out in full force!

1) A lot of producers use loops! If they don't use them the way they are they recreate them or color them with other effects. These sample loops packs and disc aren't going for 99-150 bucks for nothing. The top producers are buying them and using them. "PLEASE BELIEVE IT"

2) If you pay for the software (like garage band) you can use what evers in it. It's like using rex loops in Propellerhead's Reason.

3) Polow added many more elements to go a long with those two loops. A nice bassline, Piano played by Robin Thicke, and some big sounding drums ( an that's just the sounds I can pick out ) I'm sure there's more.

4) I can't count how many recent songs I've heard with that gated synth shit in it, I personally hate that shit because it's being "over" used right now.

5) This was the fastest single to #1 in music history!!!!!!!!

6) And last but not least who the fuck (honestly) can hate on Polow for doing this. Shit, I'd trade places with dude in a heart beat. No matter where he got the shit it's a "hit". He's in the history books! He got over 6 figures for the track plus Royalties! HE'S FUCKING PAID! lmao

What he did is no different from a producer finding a soul or old school sample. Looping or chopping it up. Lo-fing it for the bassline and throwing a "hot" drum pattern under it. If you cleared the sample, bought the loops or the shit came in your program, "make it do what it do". if you can get paid in the act I solute you.

I think I'm going to find that shit online somewhere to see if there are anymore "diamonds" in the rough! lmao

At least he didn't steal nobody's shit like Kanye and Timbo (and countless others) who are being sued for fucking millions! Ye is getting sued for that "Good Life" track for 85% of it's world wide royalties. NOw THAT'S THE DEFINITION OF BEAT JACKING! How can you not know that the producer of PYT wouldn't come after you for his money when it was such a "big" hit when Michael laced it? DAMN FOOL! He should go after 100% because there's no doubt that's his shit!

A message to Polow Da Don!

POLOW! KEEP STICKING IT TO THOSE "BIG" ARTIST AND "LABELS", 6 FIGURES FOR SOME SHIT THAT MAY HAVE TAKEN YOU A FEW DAYS TO GET RIGHT IS THE DEFINITION OF "GETTING YOUR HUSTLE ON" IN MY BOOK. I AIN'T MAD AT YOU PLAYER!

LEAKING THAT SHIT EARLY WAS FOUL THOUGH! SOME ARTIST AREN'T GOING TO FUCK WITH YOU FOR THAT. HE JUST LEAKED THE SHIT HE DID WITH BEYONCE!!!!!....NOW THAT'S "BAD BUSINESS"

Low G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't see anything wrong with what dude did... It's real funny actually like look what I did with garageband loops... How many people own that program and can't do shit with it. It's like listeners think they own the artists or something and can tell em what they can and can't do... or somehow feel ripped off cuz dude cheated them or something with using garage band instead of those mythical million dollar sounds only big budget studios can make. People allways see things so narrowly and need to chill, I think this is more funny then anything else and definitely not a slap in the face to all music listeners like they'd have you believe.

Peace.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I don't see anything wrong with what dude did... It's real funny actually like look what I did with garageband loops... How many people own that program and can't do shit with it. It's like listeners think they own the artists or something and can tell em what they can and can't do... or somehow feel ripped off cuz dude cheated them or something with using garage band instead of those mythical million dollar sounds only big budget studios can make. People allways see things so narrowly and need to chill, I think this is more funny then anything else and definitely not a slap in the face to all music listeners like they'd have you believe.

Peace.

Tru dat! I fux with Polow....he came up through the ranks the hard way. Jim Crowe was a tight ass group that didn't get there props. He found another lane and is now "getting to the money". I peep'd a YouTube vid of him showing up at his parents house with two brand new cars. He wasn't silver spoon fed and he was raised in Zone 4. One of the if the "the" roughest parts of Atlanta. He's very lucky to have made it out to get that cash!

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I peep'd that out yesterday! This is a prime example of "when and if" you make it, how the haters and detractors will come out in full force!

1) A lot of producers use loops! If they don't use them the way they are they recreate them or color them with other effects. These sample loops packs and disc aren't going for 99-150 bucks for nothing. The top producers are buying them and using them. "PLEASE BELIEVE IT"

2) If you pay for the software (like garage band) you can use what evers in it. It's like using rex loops in Propellerhead's Reason.

3) Polow added many more elements to go a long with those two loops. A nice bassline, Piano played by Robin Thicke, and some big sounding drums ( an that's just the sounds I can pick out ) I'm sure there's more.

4) I can't count how many recent songs I've heard with that gated synth shit in it, I personally hate that shit because it's being "over" used right now.

5) This was the fastest single to #1 in music history!!!!!!!!

6) And last but not least who the fuck (honestly) can hate on Polow for doing this. Shit, I'd trade places with dude in a heart beat. No matter where he got the shit it's a "hit". He's in the history books! He got over 6 figures for the track plus Royalties! HE'S FUCKING PAID! lmao

What he did is no different from a producer finding a soul or old school sample. Looping or chopping it up. Lo-fing it for the bassline and throwing a "hot" drum pattern under it. If you cleared the sample, bought the loops or the shit came in your program, "make it do what it do". if you can get paid in the act I solute you.

I think I'm going to find that shit online somewhere to see if there are anymore "diamonds" in the rough! lmao

At least he didn't steal nobody's shit like Kanye and Timbo (and countless others) who are being sued for fucking millions! Ye is getting sued for that "Good Life" track for 85% of it's world wide royalties. NOw THAT'S THE DEFINITION OF BEAT JACKING! How can you not know that the producer of PYT wouldn't come after you for his money when it was such a "big" hit when Michael laced it? DAMN FOOL! He should go after 100% because there's no doubt that's his shit!

A message to Polow Da Don!

POLOW! KEEP STICKING IT TO THOSE "BIG" ARTIST AND "LABELS", 6 FIGURES FOR SOME SHIT THAT MAY HAVE TAKEN YOU A FEW DAYS TO GET RIGHT IS THE DEFINITION OF "GETTING YOUR HUSTLE ON" IN MY BOOK. I AIN'T MAD AT YOU PLAYER!

LEAKING THAT SHIT EARLY WAS FOUL THOUGH! SOME ARTIST AREN'T GOING TO FUCK WITH YOU FOR THAT. HE JUST LEAKED THE SHIT HE DID WITH BEYONCE!!!!!....NOW THAT'S "BAD BUSINESS"

I read the initial post - watched the video - and wanted to write something. Then I read LDB's post.

LDB is 1,000,000,000,000% on-point. No questions.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I say if your gonna bite loops - find em yourself!

Thats true hiphop to me anyways. Its kind of like building a website versus using myspace. Cuz dig it - myspace does everything for you already right? So all you gotta do is put in your info and your done. But when u build a site from scratch it actually requires you to devote way more time and effort to the project as well as educate yourself on just what it is your doing.

I mean, its a "craft" right?....So treat it like one.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
That's not the first time I heard of Garage Band loops hitting major use.

I never witnessed it but my buddy says the major melody in the Rhianna Umbrella song was a Garage Band loop.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Fa sho. Im not sayin its not valid in the sense that legally its not sound - im just saying from a producers perspective i find it played and unoriginal to use "premade" loops. When hiphop got its feet on the ground it didnt start with sample cds and the like. People were using loops, but they were digging them themselves from searching though their vinyl collections. Sample CDs and loop collections took off later once companies realized they could capitalize on it becuase there were enough lazy producers that didnt want to dig for their own.

And dont get it twisted - i love loops. I just think theres nothing interesting in using ones that you dont dig yourself. That takes the "pro" outa "producer" IMO, corny as it may be.

I never witnessed it but my buddy says the major melody in the Rhianna Umbrella song was a Garage Band loop.
That just shows what the state of the industry is like right now. Peoples standards have lowered tremendously both on the production side and from the listener.

Krazyfingaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
Na I'm Wit LDB fuck it... He basically used a Royalty Free Sample... Hip Hop was founded on Non-Royalty free samples but still SAMPLES nonetheless... Dudes is upset but even if they had the same sample would they have had the same Big Sounding Drums and Percs and Pianos in it probably not.... Two thumbs up... Get that money... Its Undeniable HEAT!!!

Hell yea Key word ROYALTY FREE, I def agree with LDB.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Polow used a sample. Something that we are all guilty of on this board to a degree.

...and thats pretty much the end of it.

I personally dont like the way he responded to the accusations. He was goin' all out the way like he was having a ego trip. All he said to say was "yeah, i lifted it. Ima hiphop head. Get off my dick"

I see production as taking sounds from any source and combining them into a beat. The sounds are unimportant as is where they come from, its how they are moulded together and quality of the finished track that matters. Im not condoning lazy production the likes of hiphop ejay, but that doesnt mean you cant take a sample loop, freak it in your own way and use it in a track. That sound thats missing from a beat could just as well come from a sample loop as it could come from any loop you sample from a track. Ultimately the important thing is the finished product.

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
I don't see anything wrong with that. I have some CD Loop series and I find them really helpful. Especially the string and guitar riffs. Using royalty free samples is just "legal sampling".

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
LDB hit it on the head.

I heard about this like a week ago and I just laughed at how seriously some people were taking this.

lol at people attacking for polow for doing his job .... making hit records ..... all it is is sampling. Thats what the apple loops are there for... to use lol.. and yes apple loops were used in umbrella too. and those are two of the biggest singles in recent years.

If it makes people feel better that they traveled to an ancient tomb in calcutta to find there super rare loop, then more power to ya. the result is the only thing that matters.

and for the record polow is far from a lazy producer.. one listen to his discography proves that.

SoChi

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
He got over on Usher. 5 figures or more for a stock loop. Not anything wrong necessarily about what Polow did, but it is kinda lazy.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
If it makes people feel better that they traveled to an ancient tomb in calcutta to find there super rare loop, then more power to ya. the result is the only thing that matters.
Your kind of distorting what im saying here though Holmz.
Its not like im saying you gotta be some super producer that is the king of digging in every record shop - im just adding that (IMO of course) using something like apple loops is a easy way out.
Sure its royalty free and its just sampling, and yes a grip of people do it nowadays - but as far as finding your own samples, i think it should be pretty obvious what im sayin here?.....And people always talk about how they freak the apple loop to death so that it wasnt what it was at first, but big deal you still used a apple loop! And usually what this means is 98% of the time the loops have just been slightly altered by a note or two or someone added an effect to it to try and mask the original sound. Just seems like more effort then necessary instead of simply finding something of your own!?

dj360_iNfInItE1

UNDeRGROUND STaTE of MiND
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 16
I agree with LDB also. If it's royalty free or even if it's not and you pay for it.....shit. Do what you do and get it done. Props to Polow. I ain't hatin' on you bro. That ain't my job.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Your kind of distorting what im saying here though Holmz.
Its not like im saying you gotta be some super producer that is the king of digging in every record shop - im just adding that (IMO of course) using something like apple loops is a easy way out.
Sure its royalty free and its just sampling, and yes a grip of people do it nowadays - but as far as finding your own samples, i think it should be pretty obvious what im sayin here?.....And people always talk about how they freak the apple loop to death so that it wasnt what it was at first, but big deal you still used a apple loop! And usually what this means is 98% of the time the loops have just been slightly altered by a note or two or someone added an effect to it to try and mask the original sound. Just seems like more effort then necessary instead of simply finding something of your own!?

i wasnt directly referring to what u said ... it was just a general statement.

but at any rate, it would be one thing though if this was some unknown guy that "got lucky" and made a hit out of nowhere using an apple loop. but this is polow .. the man obviously knows what hes doing. his track record speaks for iself...the guy has consistent hits, and it probably the most versatile producer out right now .. he can do so many different styles its crazy.. people make it seem like he goes looking for apple loops to make all his tracks lol... .. im sure he has deeper crates than most of these cats calling him out. he was probably fucking around with logic and heard the loop and thought it was hot and made a hit record. .. a riff is just a riff .. he made that riff into a record and thats what producers do. the track is alot more than that synth riff.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
he was probably fucking around with logic and heard the loop and thought it was hot and made a hit record. .. a riff is just a riff .. he made that riff into a record and thats what producers do. the track is alot more than that synth riff.

And that’s the way the cookie crumbles. Ash is right. Are people jealous that he did it this way and made $$$?

To each his own. People shouldn't care about how one does it, do you and live on.