New Reason Drum Kits

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
Anyone got the new propellerhead reason drum kits that just came out? Everyone seems to be on the dick. I wanted to get some opinions before I purchased.

cycloptic

ill o.g.
I have it.

It is really good for realistic (acoustic) drums. No synth or electronic drums.

The focus is on NN-XT based drum kits though there are a number of Redrum kits as well.

The refill primarily consists of quite a few combinator based drum kits. Each combinator includes an NN-XT for each instrument of the kit (one for kicks, one for snares, etc.) There are also channels for room, overhead, and snare bottom mikes to add more ambience for a more realistic sound. The combinators also include EQ and compression on each drum and are submixed down to a stereo

The only percussion is claps, and tamborines.

The refill also includes some canned midi drum beats in a variety of styles that you can plug into Reason's sequencer.

The refill works very well with jazz, r&b, and rock, but it will take some tweaking or something to adapt it to hip hop.

If you have Reason, then this would be a slightly more flexible solution than BFD, though BFD might outshine it in a couple of areas. I think it's at least worth its cost, especially if you are into other genres of music besides hip hop. If you are hip hop only, this might not be a good fit.

Hope this helps.

cycloptic

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
thanx, man. excellent post. welcome to the site. I think I might cop it for those times I WANT my drums to sound more live and acoustic for hip hop similar to pharell's track for jay-z allure or just blaze's track for jay-z its hovi baby. "I want yall to give the drummer some, nah ma, for real, give the drummer some!"

jbm

16 Pads
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Funk and Soul kits are hot it has drum kitz inspiried by some of the following to name a few: Quest Love, Clyde Stubblefield, Sly Stone and The Family,and more. Cycloptic gave a really good review of the RDK2.0.

bhunt

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got it. I really like the sound of it. Yes you do have to add some distorion and stuff to it to make it more hip hop compatitible, but its still very good. The sound of the drums are amazing. You will go far with it if you spend you time with it.