New hot rap group all the industry heads are talking about.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
MIGOS. Yep, they're hot right now among industry folk both in NYC and LA. Everyone is looking to sign them.

Here's a link to their site. I believe most of this forum will despise their music.
http://migosonline.com/

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
No, really. How can this be the next big thing? How can they be hot? "Everyone is looking to sign them". Really? Even if it was a style I was into, what separates these guys from the rest? I don't get it. Is it because they sound more polished? Is it because they have videos?

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Seems like theyre guccimains people.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
By the way, Buku is hanging it up.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
No. I do mean pursuing it as a career. I will still do it as a hobby. Im getting back to programming instead.
But I cant really see where i will find the time anymore.
I hear that.

I'm completely sick of studio recording. But ill always make beats.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
No, really. How can this be the next big thing? How can they be hot? "Everyone is looking to sign them". Really? Even if it was a style I was into, what separates these guys from the rest? I don't get it. Is it because they sound more polished? Is it because they have videos?

It's simple. A big time agent flies down to Atlanta and talks with his contacts there to see what's hot in the hip hop community over there. The contact says "MIGOS." The agent learns more about them and finds out there's a lot of competition over them.

Basically, you need to have a big buzz among influencers in your community. Atlanta is hot right now for hip-hop. They have a lot of YouTube views but... if you notice, they don't have a lot of Facebook and Twitter followers which makes me think that they have some Blackhat marketing going on there.

Either way, Fade. Make dumb shit for the general population and have connections and you get picked up. From what I heard-- the kids are 19, so it's a perfect age for them as artists.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Ok God I watched the first vid, if it had been sent to me to play on Carolina Cuts I would have put it in the mix np. This is allot of what I hear indies doing right now as far as sound and beat style.
I don't have to like it to play it lol.If it sounds like other people would like it Ill spin it.
Now I DO feel like I know and play artists that are better than these dudes , but the industry does what it wants. Im just surprised that anyone would sign with a major right now when it seems like Universal and WB are handing out major distribution deals like candy on Halloween right now.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Ok God I watched the first vid, if it had been sent to me to play on Carolina Cuts I would have put it in the mix np. This is allot of what I hear indies doing right now as far as sound and beat style.
I don't have to like it to play it lol.If it sounds like other people would like it Ill spin it.
Now I DO feel like I know and play artists that are better than these dudes , but the industry does what it wants. Im just surprised that anyone would sign with a major right now when it seems like Universal and WB are handing out major distribution deals like candy on Halloween right now.

It doesn't matter whether someone is better than someone else. Take Chris Langan, the person with the highest IQ in the world

The dude works as a bouncer in a bar.

It's not what you know or how good you are at something, it's about how you're leveraging your contacts and social circle. If the guys that you know are better than Migos, then they haven't been hustling properly to get their name out to the right industry heads. Or more importantly, luck has an important aspect to everything.

For example, how do you have Gucci Mane on one of your tracks if you aren't even signed? From what I heard they aren't affiliated with Gucci. So:

- Either my intel is wrong and they are affiliated with Gucci
- Someone with a lot of money is backing them and paying Gucci
- Gucci decided he liked them and cut some deal
- Crack money pays for it.

I don't know, but in the end -- it's not about who you know or how good you are. It's about who knows you and what you can do for them.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Either way, it's pretty fucking sad that someone gets signed based on their look/gimmick/hustle vs. straight up talent. Unfortunately, that's the industry.