New Gadget:Akai MPD24

Dabeskeptsekret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
DigitalTechnic said:
Why? When you can already get the Korg padKONTROL :p

I dunno bout that one. As an owner of the Pad Kontrol, i'll admit, feature wise, its great. But them pads are the major set back for me (they werent at first).

Anyway, the Akai MPD24 Boasts to have the EXACT same pads as the MPC2500, which would automatically win in the Pad department. It will have the 16 level, and Full level feature available to Redrum users, so you can 16 level drum channel 1, without effecting the other channels, and still have the wav itself get pitched throughout the different levels. You can sum up what Full leveling would do. You'll have 4 different Pad Banks to that you can work from, and switch up at your disposal.

Im really no huge fan of Sliders and knobs, because I use those on the mixer more than anything. Now the Korg Pad Kontrol has the XY Pad, Flam, Roll, and Hold Button in their favor, but I recently have obtained something that performs the same functions as Tap Tempo, and note Repeat on the MPC's, so that roll and flam wont be needed. So your just left with the XY pad, which in most cases is used to control the speed and volume of a drum.

Yea, you can tweak your drums to no end with the NNXT, but if you try a Pad Kontrol roll with the NNXT, you'll say eeewwww.

All in all, I can only give a full report when the MPD24 drops. Currently I have both the Trigger Finger, and the Pad Kontrol, and you all can easily tell who's winning that competition.

DigitalTechnic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dabeskeptsekret said:
I dunno bout that one. As an owner of the Pad Kontrol, i'll admit, feature wise, its great. But them pads are the major set back for me (they werent at first).

Anyway, the Akai MPD24 Boasts to have the EXACT same pads as the MPC2500, which would automatically win in the Pad department. It will have the 16 level, and Full level feature available to Redrum users, so you can 16 level drum channel 1, without effecting the other channels, and still have the wav itself get pitched throughout the different levels. You can sum up what Full leveling would do. You'll have 4 different Pad Banks to that you can work from, and switch up at your disposal.

Im really no huge fan of Sliders and knobs, because I use those on the mixer more than anything. Now the Korg Pad Kontrol has the XY Pad, Flam, Roll, and Hold Button in their favor, but I recently have obtained something that performs the same functions as Tap Tempo, and note Repeat on the MPC's, so that roll and flam wont be needed. So your just left with the XY pad, which in most cases is used to control the speed and volume of a drum.

Yea, you can tweak your drums to no end with the NNXT, but if you try a Pad Kontrol roll with the NNXT, you'll say eeewwww.

All in all, I can only give a full report when the MPD24 drops. Currently I have both the Trigger Finger, and the Pad Kontrol, and you all can easily tell who's winning that competition.

Well I beg to differ about the pads but to each their own as everything is always going to be subjective.

I'd like to hear why you feel MPC pads aren't up to par because I've touched MPC 1k and don't seem to feel any difference.

Dabeskeptsekret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Hrmm, im not understanding when you ask why I felt the MPC Pads arent up to par, I never said that. Im saying that the MPC pads are better than the Korg pads. For one they are WAY softer, take your PK up to GC with you like i did and do the side by side, trust me, there is a difference.

But yea, I agree with you, its all preference driven. The Pad Kontrol is a beast, do not get me wrong. Im just saying that right now at the point im at I need a lil more than the roll button, and the XY pad. However, I was making a firm decision that if the MPD24 didnt have Note Repeat, then I would end up using both the Pad Kontrol (For Rolls, and other XY related things), and just use the MPD24 for everything else.

LIke I said, I've recently come across a combinator patch that has the Note Repeat on it already though, so right now, its looking like Akai is gonna win this battle in my studio.

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
The MPD24 is $449AUD here in Australia, so that is $337.125 USD.
Muthafuccin prices have 2 be blown up as soon as it comes here.
But I still might get 1 at a discount of $399AUD which is $299USD.

DigitalTechnic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Dabeskeptsekret said:
Hrmm, im not understanding when you ask why I felt the MPC Pads arent up to par, I never said that. Im saying that the MPC pads are better than the Korg pads. For one they are WAY softer, take your PK up to GC with you like i did and do the side by side, trust me, there is a difference.

But yea, I agree with you, its all preference driven. The Pad Kontrol is a beast, do not get me wrong. Im just saying that right now at the point im at I need a lil more than the roll button, and the XY pad. However, I was making a firm decision that if the MPD24 didnt have Note Repeat, then I would end up using both the Pad Kontrol (For Rolls, and other XY related things), and just use the MPD24 for everything else.

LIke I said, I've recently come across a combinator patch that has the Note Repeat on it already though, so right now, its looking like Akai is gonna win this battle in my studio.

Oops my bad. I meant to say why you like MPC pads over the Korg padKONTROl apds. Anyhow as for note repeat combinator. What makes the pad on the padKONTROL stand out is that you can control the interval of the repeating.

Dabeskeptsekret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I can do that in my combinator patch too ;) Thats the Resolution knob. But dont get me wrong, right now, the padKONTROL is my weapon of choice. No point in using that MPC Combinator patch if I dont need to. Im just saying that the MPD24 has some pretty competitive features that are really catching my attention.

DJTek, try this, open up an NNXT, load up an 808 Snare, and roll it. Now open up a Redrum, load up the same 808 snare, and roll that. You hear that difference? I wish the NNXT would sound more like the Redrums, thats the *ONLY* thing that keeps me using that damned thing.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
i googled a bit and come up with the price of 199,-

konartis

ill o.g.
im not sure if other pad controllers have this - but the knobs on the mpd24 are 'endless' 360 degrees... i just realised that. pretty cool :)

the thing that is gonna sell it for me is the 4 banks of samples... this will be killer in battery since there are like 70 slots for drums. im just gonna make one drumset that will have everything in it. also the 16 level feature is not bad, i will be able to map out a snare (for rolls and stuff) to all 16 pads in order of pitch (or whatever modulation i want).

and all at a lower cost than the trigger finger

in australia it will set me back 400 though... :(

Dabeskeptsekret

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yea, those pad Banks, and the 16 level feature is what is selling it for me. Anyone know if you can 16 level a specific drum channel in the Redrum? Like say for instance you have a Bass Drum on Channel 1, and a Snare on Channel 2, is it possible to 16 level the Bass Drum on Channel 1, and have it mapped out across the pads with the 16 Level feature, and it *NOT* conflict with Channel 2? If so, then its on!

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
It is that i am gettin a new system and already copped a new mixer, as soon as my cash is flowing again i prolly gonna consider copping one... or i am gonna steal one mpc from formant since the bastard got two of those!

DigitalTechnic

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Knox Raw said:
Man fuck that note repeat. I want those transport controls and the 2 extra banks for samples. That alone is whats attracting me to this controller. The MPD24 is def. on my must have list.

Don't forget to mention the ass backwards design :p

members online

No members online now.