N*gga tried to SON me dog!?!?!? WTF?

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So I come across this cat, he got his mixtape series bubblin, moving like 5000 units or more every time out, etc. etc. Actually he heard one of my beats, loved the shit, and wanted to get it on his mixtape. So I get at him, start building, tryna get me some work. So I was like this one I'll let you and your niggas rock it for nothing, and I gave him a beat CD and was like if ya'll want to rock some more beats I charge 150 a beat for a lease. I could tell his whole attitude flipped when I said that.

So the next day I get back at him like yo whats good did you listen to the CD. And he was like yyyeeah buuuutttt... i ain't really hear nothing that was worth a hun fitty blah blah, me and my niggas is all producers and we not tryna pay for beats, but if you get on our shit you'll get buzz etc etc if niggas ask about your beat I'll pass them to you and so on. (so I'm thinking to myself if ya'll producers what the hell you salivating over my beats for??? I know it ain't no love shit or tryna help a nigga out shit, so it must be that ya'll ain't got heat and I do. but I ain't say it). So I'm like well let me sit on that for a minute and I'll get back to you tomorrow, because he was like niggas is lovin your beats, even my nigga that do club beats wanted to rock your club beats but we not tryna pay and if they free we gonna rock more than a few of them.

And he went off on some shit like when he started out he had to pay niggas to get on his mixtape, and industry cats ain't wanna host his shit, and now niggas gotta pay him to get on his shit blah blah blah. Basically just straight up sonnin my grind... Basically he was saying that since I ain't got no name yet, my beats is hot only if they free, if they ain't free thay ain't hot.

So last night I got at him like you know what dude, as much as I wanna get down, if I do, I would be disrespecting my own grind. So the beat I said you could rock at first, that offer is off the table, and ya'll niggas gotta pay 150 just like everybody else.

I really wanted to get on his project because I know he's gonna move it, but I wasn't gonna, let him son me, and basically son myself at the same time, to do it. What ya'll think? Did I do the right thing by turning down that opportunity?

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Humm thats a tough call because you feel disrespected. Can he rap and do you think his lyrics on your track would be a stand out production on the mixtape? Will it have the streets talking about "That track" or is it just an album filler? Its a mixtape not a commercial release so you have to think about what being on it is going to do for you. 5000 units is a lot that could potentially bring a lot of business your way if the track is hot and you are properly credited in the artwork and perhaps even shouted out on the track. You could have always put the terms of your agreement in writing. There are some people you sell to and others you build with. I have given out low cost beats to artists with proven track records for mixtape/demo purposes only though not commercial releases. A lease is a lease they are not getting exclusive rights to the track so I would think about it. Sometimes its not all about money. People that dont lease tracks from you will just rap on some industry beat anyways and you still get no sale and no credits and no one will know your name as a producer. Why not instead let them rock on your beat and at least get the credits and a little buzz for yourself? Someone may want to lease that track for money or buy that track exclusive or it may generate such a buzz for him that in order to perform it or send it to radio he will have to purchase it exclusively from you anyways so either way you still win with him moving that many units....

Ruimixx

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
You did the right thing man, damn, you let him have one pick for free! Greedy ass's need to respect your work. What, they want half the mixtape for free?!?! More opportunities are right around the corner. Stay up.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Also he exibits the attitude of most local artists so you have to pick and choose and look at each situation closely. Ask how is this going to help my career. Who is this artist, what type of buzz does he have ect....
Realistically, if you have hot beats and no resume of artists you are still a nobody unless you are picking up the mic yourself and putting out your own releases......
People feel you are not in a position to charge since you have no credits/buzz and they do. Thats why building relationships early on is vital but some poeple you cant build with thats why you have to be selective

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I feel you slamindo, but let me just say that for the past year, I have been on a supergrind, I've been on two mixtapes, my niggas joint that did 2000 units the other did almost 4000, plus I got a whole complete album (I did all the beats except one, all the mixing, recording and mastering) under my belt with another local cat which is in manufacturing stage. And I got a couple more complete projects coming in the next 6 months where I'm doing most of the production on the project, and all the mixing and all that shit. And on top of that, me and my niggas is about to drop our second mixtape in a few weeks (I'm doing half the beats), and I got potential business with some other cats that got bigger buzz than this nigga, and they showing a nigga respect because I'm putting it down, I'm grinding. Ain't too much revenue coming in but its cool because I'm in grind mode and I'm starting to get those inquiries. Matter of fact, that's how I ran across this nigga in the first place.

Thing is, what the nigga is asking for, I been doing it for the past year. I been donating beats. So it ain't like I got a big head and i think my shit don't stink. But now, I'm to a level where I can ask for some dough. I'm putting in work, and I look at it like I know my shit is worth something.

Like I said I was gonna give them niggas a free beat. His attitude of his grind is bigger and more important than mine is why I changed my mind. That nigga ain't sonnin nobody over here.

So its not like I ain't got shit poppin and I 'have' to son myself. I got more work coming in with cats with bigger buzz than him. and they respect my grind, because they was where I'm at, at one point in time.

By the way, the nigga don't rap, he's a producer, and he got like 2-3 other producers with him, from what he says. The grapevine says that them niggas can't make gritty east coast shit and they looking for that. So that's why they wanted to fuck with my shit. And I guess my club shit is killing theirs too... lol this nigga is suspect.

And after all that, I would still work with the nigga. I just had to let him know, I'm not the free beat dude, and you not gonna son my grind just to get some free work outta me.

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
well in that case all bets are off lol you may have done the right thing because the man doesnt respect you business. If he doesnt respect you business and you efforts more than likely he isnt about business and you dont need him. Just keep doing you it seems as though you are already on your way!

Slamdino

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"good looks fellas." ? Im not a fella lol
I guess I will be changing the way people respond on this board lol

But yeah give the track to someone else and let your own crew jump on it if it will create a buzz for you and get out there

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
my bad slamindo, lol, but your nickname is not exactly feminine...

yeah that track is gonna bubble this summer. Them other niggas I was talking about is bubblin too. So if it go down right, the shit might be gettin big spins in DC this summer. I don't wanna drop no names because its not official yet. To top it off, my niggas might be jumpin on it with them...

I'm just bugged out that these niggas is showing love, and this other cat is on some bullshit.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
yo... my thing is, if u grindin already and u got mixtapes and other stuff out there, what u stressin him for? make him stress ur ass some more. he's either gonna pay u, bcuz it sounds like u got a buzz goin on for urself, or he's gonna miss out on havin something u created on his cd and u mite be on ur way to blowin up! at the same time, if he got a certain emcee that stands out from the crew, and he spits over ur trk and makes it hot, plus his 5000 copies is in different locations than where ur distributing urs, it could be worth givin one trk. make sure u get ur name shouted out on the trk. that would help as well.

da relic

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
mp3 said:
I feel you slamindo, but let me just say that for the past year, I have been on a supergrind, I've been on two mixtapes, my niggas joint that did 2000 units the other did almost 4000, plus I got a whole complete album (I did all the beats except one, all the mixing, recording and mastering) under my belt with another local cat which is in manufacturing stage. And I got a couple more complete projects coming in the next 6 months where I'm doing most of the production on the project, and all the mixing and all that shit. And on top of that, me and my niggas is about to drop our second mixtape in a few weeks (I'm doing half the beats), and I got potential business with some other cats that got bigger buzz than this nigga, and they showing a nigga respect because I'm putting it down, I'm grinding. Ain't too much revenue coming in but its cool because I'm in grind mode and I'm starting to get those inquiries. Matter of fact, that's how I ran across this nigga in the first place.

Thing is, what the nigga is asking for, I been doing it for the past year. I been donating beats. So it ain't like I got a big head and i think my shit don't stink. But now, I'm to a level where I can ask for some dough. I'm putting in work, and I look at it like I know my shit is worth something.

Like I said I was gonna give them niggas a free beat. His attitude of his grind is bigger and more important than mine is why I changed my mind. That nigga ain't sonnin nobody over here.

So its not like I ain't got shit poppin and I 'have' to son myself. I got more work coming in with cats with bigger buzz than him. and they respect my grind, because they was where I'm at, at one point in time.

By the way, the nigga don't rap, he's a producer, and he got like 2-3 other producers with him, from what he says. The grapevine says that them niggas can't make gritty east coast shit and they looking for that. So that's why they wanted to fuck with my shit. And I guess my club shit is killing theirs too... lol this nigga is suspect.

And after all that, I would still work with the nigga. I just had to let him know, I'm not the free beat dude, and you not gonna son my grind just to get some free work outta me.

AAwww yeah if thats the case then bump him!!! Your doin your thing you did the right shit man. If yall meet again on some shit next time he'll know your serious.
Everybody wants it free.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
slik da relic said:
yo... my thing is, if u grindin already and u got mixtapes and other stuff out there, what u stressin him for? make him stress ur ass some more. he's either gonna pay u, bcuz it sounds like u got a buzz goin on for urself, or he's gonna miss out on havin something u created on his cd and u mite be on ur way to blowin up! at the same time, if he got a certain emcee that stands out from the crew, and he spits over ur trk and makes it hot, plus his 5000 copies is in different locations than where ur distributing urs, it could be worth givin one trk. make sure u get ur name shouted out on the trk. that would help as well.

da relic

I'm stressin him cause I'm greedy my nigga! I wanna be on every mixtape from NC to NY dog... lol.

Nah seriously its not that I'm stressing the shit, but I know I coulda got at least two spots on his current mixtape and prolly mad spots on his next few joints. I ain't buzzin yet. I'm only about 6 months away though. Like I said, I'm just starting to get inquiries off the work I'm puttin out. I mean nobody niggas get at me all the time, I'm talking about getting interest from cats that got their own buzz already.

His rappers is aight... they on some conscious shit, which is not a knock, but they just aight. And I dig conscious shit.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
...tell em why ya mad son, tell em why ya mad!!!

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
i'd givem two bum tracks n' call it a day.

If u think you wont benefit enuff from that niggas project to the point that you wont miss that $150 dollar profit, then keep it movin'.

But me personally, i always got a beat layin' around. But dont expect hot shit for free. You better be Russell Simmons' close god son or some shit.

mp3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It ain't even the dough, I could give a damn about a hun fiddy.

But fuck that I'd rather take my hard drive with all my beats and break it in half, than let a nigga son me in order to get some free beats outta me. Boils down to self respect really. My shit is hot if its free. Fuck that.

And the nigga had one free beat outta me, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut...

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
mp3 said:
It ain't even the dough, I could give a damn about a hun fiddy.

But fuck that I'd rather take my hard drive with all my beats and break it in half, than let a nigga son me in order to get some free beats outta me. Boils down to self respect really. My shit is hot if its free. Fuck that.

And the nigga had one free beat outta me, all he had to do was keep his mouth shut...

Yeah u did give him a freebie and he's still bitchin'. fuck dat shit.

HDBEATS

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
If he is telling you you're beats only hot if its free... then fuck him. That to me is totally disrespectful saying "yeah man your beats are good they'd be hot if they're free though". Theres always alot of people on the mixtape grind so just make moves man you gave him a free beat an he disrespected you. Enough said.

SlickVikNewman

Hip Hop Super Villian
ill o.g.
On the other hand.......... I think I would have still gave the free beat up. The reason I say that is I have learned the hard way too many times that a bridge burned is one you can never cross again. Now I aint saying to be a fool for ol boy or ride the short bus for the figga but its always good to leave things on good terms.