My fellow Americans....

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
As some of you know from reading my posts over the years, I am more then disgusted with the American political system that has shit all over the people of this country I love. My wife and I have even considered eventually leaving the US. But, after some serious thought, I think that would be the cowards way out. Don't get me wrong, no matter what I do, or anyone else does, nothing will change. Still, I do not want to stand by and do nothing. I'm turning to my ill-fam for ideas. Especially the cats who live out of the US. The ones who are on the outside looking in. As well as fellow Americans. The 2 party system is crap. And as long as we have classes in this country, there will NEVER be equality. Sadly, as humans I believe we will never have equality either way. BUT, I need to do something and I know many Americans on this site that would be down and willing to help me out as it really is our duty. I just don't know how we can turn heads like no one else has before. The only thing I do know is that we need to show Unity among Americans. that much is clear to me. With that being said, who here has suggestions? I'm all ears, remember that with the internet we already have an advantage of a message being heard all over, now it's the message we need to work on. Something we ALL can agree on. Get at me

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I hear ya. The problem it seems is everywhere you go. Sure, you can come to Canada but it's not like as soon as you step over the border you're in this magical land called "Freedom". It sure as hell is a lot better than the U.S. political system in many ways, but there's still many issues.

On the other hand, Canada can offer you many fine things like moonshine-level of beer, poutine, and maple syrup!

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
i never really understood your political system. does that mean that only a republican or a democrat can be president? no indendants? There is no choice anywhere though mate, we have only hae 2 major parties here, and they are both the same. its harder now for everyone because of the global recession, we are having the biggest budget cuts in the uk ever... hopefully though, as time goes on, people will become more liberal, it is happening at the moment anyway, i mean, Arnie is saying it is ok to hae a spliff a weed is prtty much legal now in california - who would have thought that 20 years ago.... the world is still "run" by people who were around during the war.... when the hippy generation get that old and the one running things, you'd think things would get better, when our generation is the one running things, surely things will be differnet? its all perspective and that changes with each generation.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Stress I feel you, I was seriously considering leaving if the republicans won the election again (it had nothing to do with Obama), I was just tired of the republican way of doing things. I even said the same thing you're saying in another thread. I honestly don't have an answer for it, but I know that we have to turn this country around and it starts with ourselves. Unity is one of the toughest tasks to achieve in the type of environment that we live in. Everything is about "self" nowadays, in general people just don't give ish about each other. Personally, I can't even imagine what it would take to turn our country around and even if there was an answer, we would probably never see the TRUE benefits in our lifetime.

I don't think it would be a "coward move" to leave the U.S. If we can't find happiness here then why not go and try to find it elsewhere? I love America but if America can't show me love then fuggit, let's find another party!

Whatever the case, count me in if it will make some noise. I'll fight for whats right.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I actually have a friend that felt so strong about this that he moved to Mexico to teach music.

And I have other friends flirting with the idea of moving. But my boy puts it like this, for all the shit we hate about the US, other countries still can't fuck with us as far as overall quality of life. American money can go far in other countries, but being rich in some countries still can't fuck with the freedoms and quality of living you can achieve in the US.

With that said...

I think people are toooo smart to let shit get any worse. This response from Republican's wasn't unexpected as far as I was concerned. My wife makes fun of me a lot for being an I Told You So guy. But I have a decent track record. Here is what I think is going to happen:

The country as being fuct over by greedy corporations, who have great influence over the govt.

Then EVERYONE was fuct over when the housing market crashed.

People wanted change so we ended up with a Black President.

Republicans were surprised they let shit go so bad that a Black guy had to take over.

So for 2 year, Obama made a lot of progress in trying to reverse where we were heading.

Republican's did not like him doing well and did everything they could to stop everything he did.
(including not passing bills they wanted in spite of him)

People are really mad about the economy which is still hurting from the housing melt down.

So they bought into the fear Conservatives were selling and all the people who did not show up to vote for McCain made sure they came out to vote Republicans back into office while all the people who rode the Obama bandwagon did not come out to vote for him so now Republicans are back in control.

I think Republican's won by saying Obama hasn't done a good job for the last 2 years, but they will spend the next 2 years doing what they were doing before, NOTHING. And just highlight how dope Obama was in his first 2 years and get him reelected.

The better scenerio is, the Conservatives see a great chance to look like heros and help fix our economy with Obama.

With all that said, I think society is paying too much attention to what is going on and things can only get better.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
The Dems had congress for the first two years Obama has been president. We are in huge debt. Yes Obama inherited a lot of shit. But as I have been checking a lot of things out, I'm very disappointed of our state at this point more than when we had the idiot in office. We cannot have one party as commander in chief and a majority in the congress of the same party. Too much shit gets passed... I like that the Republicans have majority in Congress....there's a balance, now.. Don't forget..when Clinton was president, we had a Republican majority Congress, and we always say things were great then.

Also things are coming about that kind of fly under the radar.... The Paycheck Fairness Act. I think this is one of the worst bills I've ever heard of...

You mean to tell me, that you can sue because you feel like you're not getting paid as much as your peers for equal work?

Ok...I agree that people are discriminated against and suffer monetarily in the workforce, especially women...

But this act does not have a limit on punitive damages.....Of course this is great for trial attorneys (the ones you see on TV all the time). All they need to do is mention the act and say "do you think that your corporation is discriminating against you and not paying you what you should be paid, call me".

The amount of people per corporation can come in the thousands, especially in very large corporations like a Microsoft/Bank of America...shit...even Disney.. = class action lawsuit... SO the attorney goes to CEO and says "these 10,000 people are suing due to you possibly are not in adherence with the Paycheck Fairness Act and we are suing for 500 million in punitive damages. So to save yourself the cost of a trial and the negative publicity of a trial, we're willing to settle for 200 million....So...The company pays that out.....NOW the Attorney(s) take their cut, more than likely half for the amount of work they do for the plaintiffs. So...now it's 100 million....10,000 people = $10,000 Ok...$10k is a decent amount of money...

Now what do companies do when something like this happens? Realize that it's not cost-effective to provide jobs here for risk of this act...take their business overseas (which isn't taxed enough by the government). Now people lose jobs, not helping this unemployment....

Yes it's an extravagant story, but not close to far-fetched. Obama doesn't want to extend the Bush tax cuts because it affects the rich.....SO WHAT IF IT DOES????? THEY SPEND THE MOST MONEY....WHY NOT have them stimulate the economy?? I think it's such bullshit.....Ok..I quit rambling.....

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I feel your pain. Politics will make you ramble. It is all pretty upsetting. I watched Daily Show last night and I am going to get this book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/All-Devils-Are-Here-Financial/dp/1591843634"]Amazon.com: All the Devils Are Here: The Hidden History of the Financial Crisis (9781591843634): Bethany McLean, Joe Nocera: Books[/ame]

I guess this book will make you really mad.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Obama doesn't want to extend the Bush tax cuts because it affects the rich.....SO WHAT IF IT DOES????? THEY SPEND THE MOST MONEY....WHY NOT have them stimulate the economy?? I think it's such bullshit.....Ok..I quit rambling.....
because they don't stimulate the economy, they save their money. the bush tax cuts for the rich have been a disaster, pure and simple.

also, you are exaggerating on the the paycheck fairness act, which failed to pass.

mind giving us links to your assertions?

*it's been a while since i''ve been here, shit is a lot slicker.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
here's a just a few:
http://taxvox.taxpolicycenter.org/blog/_archives/2010/8/31/4618343.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/opinion/23krugman.html?_r=3
http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/14/bush-tax-cut-mythology/
http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2008/09/supply_side.html
http://taxvox.taxpolicycenter.org/blog/_archives/2010/8/4/4596364.html

from the cbo:

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/111xx/doc11100/02-2010-Employment_Testimony.pdf#page=23

http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10803/01-14-Employment.pdf#page=33
policytable.jpg

from cap again

BLS_bushyears.jpg

let me add one more link

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2010/11/bonus_tax_cuts.html

the bust tax cut for the rich is an added bonus cut on top off another cut

bonus_tax_cuts-03.png

bonus_tax_cuts-02.png

bonus_tax_cuts-01.png