Music Background

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
Listen up my brothas i need opinion im a 80z baby but my parents neva had a musical background so as finding old school elements is kinda hard for me it doesnt groove me cuz i didnt grow up on it but i noticed in the past few years my crate diggin flows towards video games like nintemdo Snes etc. to me i think thats my music background cuz i grew up on these things i found a webiste on here somebody posted n it has all the game soundtracks n stuff

where do u think ur music background lies?

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Really, my main backgroud music is John Williams.
I got the Star Wars soundtrack on vinyl on XMAS in 1977, listened to that all the time. Also had Close Encounters, Raiders, theme from SWAT, loved all of that movie and tv music, real visual.
Music wise, the Beatles was one of the first bands that really struck a chord with me, then the Doors/Hendrix. After that it was punk/hiphop/reggae/house in the 80s, then got into jazz/bossa/latin in the 90's...
PS - video game music is dope as shit too, back in the day the volume on those machines in the arcade would be so fucking loud, and all of them had that dope 8bit synth type music, Space invaders, Galaga, Donkey Kong, Defender, Joust, great great sound fx and music...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
honestly i came up on that 80s and very early 90s r&b sounds... bobby brown,new edition,, johhny gill, pebbles, winans brothers, keith sweat,michael jackson, the whispers, kool & the gang prince... that kinda shit was the first music i was exposed too from my parents...a lil later on i got into a bit of evrything including rock like jimi hendrix, i was even into groups like green day,nirvana ( i can recite practically their whole catalog), and even metalicca had some dope shit back in the day. Of course theres the huge hip hop influence that kinda domianted evrything else, but i was the type of dude that could recite a wu tang song word for word then flip the script on some other shit too. My influences were wide as hell. I contribute it to the mixture of friends i had. I lived in a really diverse area so i had firends that were black, white, asian, spanish...evrything.. and its when u r young that you are most open to diffrent forms of music and diffrent types of people. i def loved video game shit ... contra music, mega man music, street fighter music, mario music, i could humm that shit all day long note for note to this day even though i havent played those games in about a decade, actually longer.

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey I think I know what website NYSOM talking about or perhaps not. Is it Galabatia Hotel or something to that extent? Using game soundtracks is something I love to use for producing my music but I never got a chance to actually produce one. So maybe this thread will increase my confidence in making one.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Cosigning Ash and NYSOM

Late eighties RnB and then Early hip hop to around 96. My Dad used to be a DJ so I always had Cameo,Prince, Michael jackson and Earth Wind and Fire playing around me all the time. When I got old enough to buy my own music it was sh*t like SWV, Jodeci,Special ED, Ghetto Boys and Das EFX. And then I got stuck on that chopped sample shit right around Jeru the Damaja and Blahzay Blahzay.

I try to have an open ear to the new styles but I don't get as hype for TPain as I would something like DJ Premier.

TSU just had their homecoming last week. I went to BB Kings. When they would play Gorilla Zoe, everyone would fukn go crazy. That style is dope but I prefer stuff like Apathy, or Skrewball.

I have to agree with Ominous there's some names there that I grew up on.
Das Fx, Getto Boys, Kool G Rap, EPMD, Special Ed, DITC, Brand Nubian, Wu, Ultramagnetic Mc's.
Along with the New Jack Swing stuff, Teddy Riley's production was off the hook. Jodeci, New Edition, Blackstreet etc Great sound that I wish was still around today. It put the oomph into rnb. Not to mention Mary J's first album, sick. I also draw influence from the UK underground music scene, like Hardcore, Drum n Bass, Garage & Jungle.
And John Williams has always been a great influence, I love his music. He can inject drama with music and stir emotions. Which led me onto a liking for classical music.

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I am going to have to check out this John Williams.

I am in the middle of making two top 100 lists. One for RnB and one for Hip Hop. When I get done I am gonna up load it for yall to download and then you guys can tell me what I missed.

I am going to have to check out this John Williams.

I am in the middle of making two top 100 lists. One for RnB and one for Hip Hop. When I get done I am gonna up load it for yall to download and then you guys can tell me what I missed.
The funny thing is you probably already know a lot of it.
He did the soundtrack to the batman movie too.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i would say early 90's r&b had a big influence, hip hop too obviously, but i actually used to be really into rock music when i was younger, so that still has a big influence on me...lately though i've been trying to educate myself on a lot of classic music i never knew much about...prince, mj, stevie wonder, etc.

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
thats cool yall i luv to sample for video games thats an era some cats wont touch cuz they think its not hip hop.

i just chopped a sample from a snes game Gradius 3 for all u video game heads lol
itz already in my MPC waiting

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 152
yea def the video game background for me, the NES, SNES.. used to be on that 10+ hours a day gettin lost..

michael jackson, rock music like guns n roses & ugly kid joe, blur, pulp ... im not gonna hide the fact that pop music was a lot of my background.. i know jus sayin 'pop music' gets some people shaken up but all them now that's what i call music compilations, anything that was catchy til i had enough of it then i'd move onto the next newest thing...

when i got a bit older started the hip hop, started w snoop doggystyle then dre then eminem right down to the underground of lord finesse, special ed & all them lot, the crate diggin type of music that DJs listen to... ;p stuff like artifakts, cage, edan, got poetical/nerdy for a while with sage francis, typical cats and atmosphere type of rap, then aggro stuff like necro.. back up to mainstream.. all over the place rly findin the good stuff from each genre

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i'm a 80's baby (born in 78), i had a aunt and uncle who were both big on buying records. music was always playin in grandma's crib. rufus and chaka khan, isley bros., kool and the gang, sos band, grover wash. jr., so on and so on. my cousin put me on to Hip Hop music with the like of Afrika Bambatta (we still have the o.g. utfo vs roxanne shante record), everything pretty much took off from there.

Sincock

Fucking Wankers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
It's hard to say really, gets a bit convoluted.

Started listening to my parents' music which was mostly crap: Dad liked classical which wasn't too bad; Mum liked shit like Elton John, early Beatles, ( I still don't dig their early stuff much), Bette Midler, you know middle of the road boredom. First artist I remember getting into on my own was Michael Jackson; when Thriller blew up that shit was huge. I don't remember any kid at primary school that didn't dig it. Later in High school started off with rock like: Van Halen, Guns n Roses etc. Then to metal like Metallica, Kreator etc. I was playing saxophone at the time so also listened to Jazz like Miles as well. Hip Hop was always there but didn't grab me until later really.

I liked Public Enemy, that Run DMC ish etc but didn't spend my money on it. Remember that Tone Loc, Young MC ish? Loved that at the time. Also started getting into Death metal and Punk hardcore like: Carcass, Napalm Death, Dead Kennedys; Black Flag etc. By the end of high school started really expanding my tastes into all sorts of shit: got more into the Funk and Soul, (Funkadelic, James Brown, Isaac Hayes; Curtis Mayfield etc), before really discovered Hip Hop. Went through a phase of loving Krautrock, experimental shit, electronica, ambient, industrial etc too.

Fuck man, I've written too much. Anyway to get to the point, after high school I heard stuff like NWA, Snoop Dogg and Ice Cube that I got into and just expanded out to listening to all types of shit really. Wu-Tang was an eye-opener when that first album dropped.

These days, (many years later), I try to keep an open mind and listen to any and everything that appeals to me. I get bored listening to the same shit all the time.

Excuse my verbosity, it's a difficult question to answer honestly.

members online