method of production

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i think its important to focus on the finished product too.. as opposed to just making beats... get with an artists and make some music... u will develop like ten times faster if u "train as a producer" as opposed to just tryin to sit in ur room and come up with the craziest beats. thats a mistake i made when i first started out and i learned from it. Of course u need that time to zone out in ur studio and perfect your craft but at the same time the sooner u can snatch up a dope artist and start shaping ur sound togther the better off you will be. dont forget the voice is just another instrument, and is probably the most important one in hip hop so learn how to use and produce around it. Rarely does a major producer get "on" outta nowhere or just because they have hot beats .. they find an unknown or upandcoming artist/artists, grind togther ad develop a sound. then when the artists blows, everybody comes to that producer, not neccesarily for the beats alone, but the ability to create a hot track.

It was trial and error for me, and more so error. Some errors can open doors to new possiblities things you wouldnt have thought to do but sound good. But i went in thinking it was going to be very easy, just simple patterns how hard could it be i thought. Ten years down the line, I can see there was nothing easy about it. It takes a lot of dedication especially at first as you cant let the haters get you down, because to be honest its a rare thing for someone to pick up the skillz to put a hot beat together off the bat. It does take a long time to gain an understanding of each instruments part in a track, like individual drumsounds and patterns. But if you love hiphop enough you will have the determination to go the extra mile.
For the last year as my understanding has vastly improved along with my ears, I have been able to understand of lot of the posts here at ill and taken my music to the next level, which Im not sure would have happened without help from the members here. Illmuzik is a crash course on hiphop production, you should take the time to check out the software/hardware sections, whatever is relevant to your studio setup, and the resources section. Its a great place to get along quick.

members online