Little setup i'm trying to put together

Nabls

ill o.g.
alright, like everyone else new to this site i got some questions to ask

now, i got two speakers i'm looking at for 150 each (Rokit's)
and i'm also going to purchase the mpc1000

i need one turntable for the records to sample
i also want to know if i can get a laptop too, since i don't have all the space and the world and i'd like to have it for this music set up

can anyone help me figure out which turntable to so i can get the samples and if theres a good laptop out there that isnt the most expensive to make this happen

one more thing, i'm not totally sure how to hook everything up, so i need to know what i need to hook all of those things up together

thanks in advance

ill o.g.
My recommendation is this: don't buy everything at once. Get familiar with a few pieces of equipment first, then slowly build on your setup.

For example, the MPC1000 is a workstation...it lets you create full tracks. You won't really need a separate computer unless it was to use features on programs you're more comfortable with. So look into your software options before deciding to buy a PC.

Space is no longer a big downside to using desktops...they can fit powerful systems in small little boxes nowadays. In fact, I'd say a desktop works better than a laptop because (1) you have more flexibility in where the monitor goes, which is much better for your eyes, (2) same goes for the keyboard, (3) you have a lot more flexibility in regards to hardware. The only reason I'd take a laptop over a desktop is portability...not size.

Any turntable that can play records should work for sampling...even oldschool phonographs. When you're cutting/sampling though, you'll want a turntable with (1) platter stability, and (2) decent torque 'cause you'll be working with the record with your hands at least a little bit. The Numark TT200 is a good low cost option, and on the high end you can't go wrong with Technics.

As for the hookup...if you're working with a PC:

Turntable --> DJ Mixer OR Phono preamp --> Computer's Line In
Speakers --> Soundcard

Nabls

ill o.g.
thanks a lot man, that was real helpful
what kind of mixer should i go with?
and the mpc1000 will plug in through USB?

ill o.g.
No problem fam, hope I didn't get any information wrong.

Mixer: either a DJ mixer or a phono preamp (which will be cheaper)...those are designed to work with a turntable's signal. Can't recommend a specific model though.

MPC: no clue, I've never tried hooking one up before. :)

MastaMariucci

ill o.g.
Can't you just hook the mpc straight up to your computer? Why do you need a mixer? I'm just wondering cuz I dont wanna buy a mixer if I don't have to because of finances.

O

open mind

MastaMariucci said:
Can't you just hook the mpc straight up to your computer? Why do you need a mixer? I'm just wondering cuz I dont wanna buy a mixer if I don't have to because of finances.
u dont need a mixer if u plan to connect your mpc with the comp save your money and invest it for a good pc soundcard.

members online