Jay-Z's new shit

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I don't like jay z. Never have. I downloaded the app to see what the "next big thing" was. As soon as it asked for a Facebook or Twitter account, I deleted the app. I don't even have a Facebook or Twitter account and wasn't about to set one up just so I could listened to someone I don't like in the first place.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 170
Big picture, I think this is the way of the new world. I play Words With Friends. Go check out the permissions they are asking for. Not much different from MCHG or many other popular apps

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
I downloaded the app to see what the "next big thing" was. As soon as it asked for a Facebook or Twitter account, I deleted the app. .

I did the same shit with my wife's phone.....all they want is to data mine shit......So I checked on piratebay in the morning and there it was....LOL...

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Not a fan....instead of setting trends as a legend in the game, he's following them.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
The album is solid. I do not hear any outright "hits," notwithstanding the JT track, but it is an elegant album. Furthermore, I was surprised there were more than 10 tracks on it. This very much reminds me of the old days when rap CD's racked up to 20 tracks on an album.

I like much of the rap and imagery Jay-Z paints in the listener's mind, but I must bring this down to the harsh reality and expose this for what it is... a loss leader for Jay-Z's other businesses.

Jay-Z's power comes from his fame, which relies on his status as a hip-hop superstar. Therefore, in order to still be relevant in his other business endeavors, Jay-Z must release albums to maintain his visibility in the public eye, since it is his large cadre of fans that give him his inherent value. This then can be extrapolated into furthering the Jay-Z mythology.

I also think it was very important that Jay-Z made this an extremely cipher/lyrically based album rather than one focused on hits. This doesn't expose Jay-Z to the possibility that his songs may not become radio hits. Intelligently, the success of the album was already deemed as having "a million units sold" because of Jay's deal with Samsung and the subsequent downloads from the app.

In Jay-Z's universe, sales are not necessarily the issue. It's about staying relevant. Furthermore, with cerebral lyricism, as well as rap songs about his progression as an individual living an upper class lifestyle and able to purchase high art, for instance, he is giving critics the proper fodder they need to continue to claim that Jay-Z still holds on to his mantle of superstar.

For example, if 50 Cent had continued to make lyrically complex albums like his early work, citing "Power of the Dollar" and "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" (which had great lyricism in it) he could have continued to have success and become an evergreen superstar like Jay-Z. However, 50 Cent let his lyricism slip and switched from the aggressive persona he once was to having songs like "Baby By Me" and trying to appeal to the same Ja Rule female demographic he claimed to hate. This was his downfall. Jay-Z stuck to his roots and is still relevant as a rapper -- which furthers his personal mythology, while 50 Cent is simply a has-been who happens to be a good businessman.

In any regard, I think this was a win for Jay-Z on multiple levels. He viewed his album as a loss-leader that helps appreciate the value of his own personal brand.

That's what I believe is the true reason Jay-Z is still recording. He maintains his relevancy.

ill o.g.
4 parts

Is this J doing damage control? The Samsung app fiasco. Mixed reviews on the album. Twitter and BrakfastClub?

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.

Not solely dubstep, but expanding my range of talents. RECOGNIZE FOOL!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I listened to a bit of it, honestly I just don't like it. I think I just don't like the direction that a lot of the new music is going.

ill o.g.
I like it. 8 out of 10. Lyrics not mind blowing, but still picturesque. Beats not mind blowing, but pretty appeasing to the boom bappers (Somewhere In America, Picasso Baby),as well as the new school trap/ambient (FuckWithMe,TomFord). Better than BP3, Kingdom Come, Vol 1, BP2 and Dynasty imo.

Jay-Z's power comes from his fame, which relies on his status as a hip-hop superstar. Therefore, in order to still be relevant in his other business endeavors, Jay-Z must release albums to maintain his visibility in the public eye, since it is his large cadre of fans that give him his inherent value. This then can be extrapolated into furthering the Jay-Z mythology.

That's what I believe is the true reason Jay-Z is still recording. He maintains his relevancy.

I quoted this due to the fact it is spot on. I couldnt agree more.
That is the very same reason Jay Z is still relevant, even after all these years of riding bandwagons and following trends instead of setting them, just maintaining his visibility(putting stuff out) has kept him at the top of hip hop(in a mainstream sense). I will give credit to Jay Z for his business skills, but for his musical output I have never really been a fan, except for the odd track here and there, and given the size of his musical catalogue, thats not very impressive.

I think fiddy tried to achieve the same thing and for a while he was doing well, but I dont think he had the same level of business mind as Jay Z. I dont think there are that many rappers that do, to be honest.