J. Cole - Once an Addict

Earsblower

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
It's pretty good, animation does fit well and yes J. Cole's a great lyricist. Gotta say the flute seems out of place, maybe it's not in the right octave but it makes the beat kinda flat in my opinion. Like there's missing something. Also the end section where it's pretty much only the drums I feel it does not fit anymore with the vocals.

Everything else is very well done !

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
The beats slick, i dont think in general the mood fits the vocals to me, i dont know feels more like a battle beat or something more aggresssive than emotional. Agree with the ending being in a different key throws you off even though its just drums. The only way i can explain it is theres hope in the vocals and the beat lacks hope if that makes sense

Thanks for that @Ys Man. I came from a different perspective with lyrics telling the story but the vibe from the addicts perspective of despair and no hope like it’s not going to get better.

Always good to hear how others interpret music, nice one.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Thanks for that @Ys Man. I came from a different perspective with lyrics telling the story but the vibe from the addicts perspective of despair and no hope like it’s not going to get better.

Always good to hear how others interpret music, nice one.
Yeah i see what youre saying and i feel more of a stan scenario would fit this, its only really the singing at the end that throws the mood out, listening again if it finished on the "running" lyric it would feel "right"

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
I personally have dealt with addictions in my close family growing up and I’m pretty sure it will resonate with most at some point in their lives.
Found a great animation to fit my beat and J. Cole’s lyrics.
Haven’t had the time to check J. Cole out until now, impressed, I’ve been sleeping….

All feedback please, appreciated, analysed and worked on!

Once an addict is a fantastic song and even works as a poem.

Your beat is really cool and apart from the singing part works together with the lyrics.

Things I certainly wouldn't expect on a remix of this song are:

- random Eminem voice chops (why?)
- sirens (why?)
- gunshots (wtf?)

This feels as adequate as paying and bringing 5 random hookers to a funeral of a loved one. Apart from the beginning really a nice beat.

Just my personal opinion though...

@Kane the MOD, deliberately selected Eminem chops ‘if you had one shot’ = shots of alcohol.

Sirens are a warning sign / danger

And again gun shots - alcohol shots and warning / danger.

That’s how my mind works, don’t expect everyone to like it but I like variety and unexpected, not same old same old. Perhaps I’m differently wired :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for listening and for your feedback.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
@Kane the MOD, deliberately selected Eminem chops ‘if you had one shot’ = shots of alcohol.

Sirens are a warning sign / danger

And again gun shots - alcohol shots and warning / danger.

That’s how my mind works, don’t expect everyone to like it but I like variety and unexpected, not same old same old. Perhaps I’m differently wired :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for listening and for your feedback.
My brain was too limited to make these connections

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
I like the beat, great 90s vibe. Like others said, I do think it's off at the end, maybe keeping just the melody and dropping the drums could be better on the ears, but not sure. Do agree with others that the FX used don't align with the lyrics, but that's fine it's a remix and you're trying something new. I like whatever effect is on the string/flute, the "wobbly" end it has. It would be cool to hear original lyrics over this beat!

members online