I Need A Favor

Sacred One

I Am One Of God Producers
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
I am about to lease out two beats, but they talkin about pressing 25,000 copies.

So what i am asking from my illmuzik brothers is a contract where i would get royalties after so many presses, they only wanna lease, i would surely appreciate it.

StressWon

www.stress1.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 68
It all depends. Personally, if they are unsigned and spendin their own dough on pressin that money, you should look at it from that aspect and decide accordingly. If it's an up and coming indie label, I would consider royalties. I think your best bet is to sit down with them and have a meeting. As far as the business aspect, there are mad more members here that can help. I'm not too experienced in this, but hoped I helped man....1

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
how much royalties, should I charge? I never did this before

Leasing it at a monetary rate is cool, but allowing them so many units pressed(25,000) is a bit much IMO. If it were me, I'd charge them what ever rate you charged them initially per 5k or10k units pressed. Now if they end up getting a deal and wish to include your track on there album, it's the standard 50/50 split. 50% of the song is the lyrics, 50% of the song is the music. Of course you would have to negotiate a smaller percentage than that because the label will probably want most of the publishing. I'd just put in the contract that royalties will be renegotiated should the artist sign a record deal. There is the chance that if they're offered a deal they won't even use your track so try and get a little more money now ahead of time.

I.E. if you charged them say 1k per track. make that 1k per 10k units pressed! The problem you'll probably run into is not having a way to keep track of how many they press up. You could also do a sliding scale deal with them if the secure a record deal based on the amount of units they sale.
25k-100k (5%) 101k-500k (7%) 501k and up (10%) or something similar. That percentage may have to be smaller depending on the type deal they get.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
I am about to lease out two beats, but they talkin about pressing 25,000 copies.

So what i am asking from my illmuzik brothers is a contract where i would get royalties after so many presses, they only wanna lease, i would surely appreciate it.

Hate to be the voice of reason with a good situation like this, but it would be wise to get with an entertainment lawyer to have him/her draft up an agreement.

I'm assuming that the reason you want to draft up the contract is to protect your work, and to ensure a solid payday from the project.

A lot of contracts that you may find on the net are not "court-tested" and probably contain many loopholes -

Advice is free, consequences you pay - Peace.

wizard

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 141
dont be greeding fam!!
get paid and keep it moving!
the artist who you are working with will appreciate and will want to work wit u in the future!
then thats when u start to get ya royalties!! thats what wrong wit producers today they get to greedy
jack up the lease rate so u dont feel like you going to be jerk then in the futre just be ready with a contract
most of the time they wont mind signing it cuz uyou did them a favor with the first beats
one hand wash's the other
by u just taking the cash you are doing them a favor by not to be able to pay u the royalties ther for they will have more money and if they have more money then so will you
because they will be back to work and purchase more beats
if uyou have a good buisness relation ship you will have no worries
but if you are doing this and have no good relationship with the client then i jest that u decide not to lease the beats but to sell it to them and get your monies worth
just remember to make money u cant be greedy in this game get paid and then end the transaction as quick as possible
i know that not really no one wants to pay for a beat that they dont righteously own then come back and pay u again for royalties they minus well have bought the rights to the beat after dishing out $ for royalities!
if i was you i would convince them to by the beat for so much$$ cuz in the long run its gonna cost them more if they lease it
then they will have to pay royalties
i would tell them hey give me 1000$ , or 2000$ or 3000$ or what ever price you decide
then explain to them its better to own sometimes then to least
let them know if they lease it it could cost more then what i ask for it to own
there for u get them quick g's and contue on a good business relationship!!
if u deal wit jay z or p diddy or any big company then u dammmm rite better get them royalties!!!
and make sure you have your contract ready!or just get a good ass entertainment lawyer
1luv illmuzik

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^^ i actually agree wit dude.. but it really depends on the people. and u have to consider that if they even have accurate means of tracking their sales. (scans and barcode) Alot of dudes claim they move more tapes than they actually do, and there are other artists that dont scan their numbers but sell mixtapes out da ass but its all undocumented. R the guys signed? ... if there signed then end of story get a lwayer and get some royalties but if they are street mixtape dudes i would get money upfront because if u cant prove that they moved as many units as they did, then a contract aint shit because they had no legal and official way of keeping track of units.

members online