How to determine Compressor Threshold

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So ive been reading up a lot on compressors and I get their basic functions pretty well at this point. I understand the threshold concept very well but here's my question- how do i determine, based on the instrument in question, where to set the threshold?

Like, compressors are supposed to attenuate the loudest portions of a sound with a big dynamic range so you have a more balanced sound right? But some huge synth in reason is going to have a bigger dynamic range and louder elements than a flute sound, you know? So i guess what I'm wondering is what tools in reason, or really any program for that matter, should I be using to figure out, objectively speaking, how "loud" and/or dynamic a given sound is to figure out where the threshold should be?

Or am i seeing this the wrong way and should it always just be done by ear? thanks for the help-

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
actually, this book i just found answered my question, delete thread unless other people are wondering about this.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
judge the threshold by the gain reduction combined wit the sound ull be able to tell if its compressed to much or not enuff..and the ratio is important as well the highter the ratio the higher the compression in simple terms

O

open mind

watch the db meters then change slowly the threshold till it starts to process then start from there.nobody can tell u default settings because every sound and db level is diffrent forget the DEFAULT settings u have to work it out with the db meters and your ear.just do some practice with diffrent settings and u gonna find it out how it works and shit.

members online